Vortex vs. Leupold

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riceland Guns

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Jennings, LA
    I've owned the capped versions of both. Glass in the Leupold seem very slightly better. For whatever reason, I found the vortex more comfortable on the eye when I shouldered the gun, though. Honestly, not sure why. Sold the leupy, the pst sits on my AR.

Last edited:

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    How do y'all like the ret of the PST?
    The firedot on the Leupold is lovely.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    16BAF581-4646-4FB9-BFEF-42C68C8AC148_zpsah2jnhlv.jpg

39F8F831-4C05-4E2D-A510-F330CADC8BA4_zpsbv5rm5kj.jpg

61CF22D0-5321-48B8-9795-555FF20E664A_zpsinjxcszr.jpg

Tried to get some pics for you. I bought one, but didn't really have a rifle to put it on, so it's just sitting in my garage till I find an upper to complete my build.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    I have a vortex and really like it. The only thing is I wish that I bought it with capped turrets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Vortex warranty is better. Both companies offer lifetime warranties, but Vortex bends over backwards to make sure you are satisfied.
    I have returned a couple of Leupolds with very satisfactory results.

Once I bought a used vari X III 3.5-10x40 AO I thought it wouldn't hold zero so I sent it in for service. 10 days later I got a call from Leupold saying the scope was discontinued and they would replace it with a new one. They gave me three options and I took the vxIII 4.5-14x40.

I would call that bending over backwards.

Looking back on it, I don't think the scopes were defective. My scope leveling skills have improved ☺️

Last edited:

Riceland Guns

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Jennings, LA
    Shot with the vortex yesterday on a DDm4v11. I have it mounted in a ADM QD lever mount. The reticle lights up well and is easy to see on the mid to higher settings during the middle of the day. Although, I prefer it off. The reticle is easy on the eye and centers the target well. Using it on 4x, I was hitting steel freehand easily at 120 yards (max of the range I was at yesterday). I do recommend the capped turrets unless you just really need the tactical ones for matches or what have you. It's way too easy to forget to rezero your scope if you don't do it all the time, even if you use the vortex shim kit. Then you put it up, and your next cold bore shot is no where near your target. Have seen it too many times.

for what it's worth, the vortex vs leupold issue is a wash. They are both great and want to make sure any scope issues are resolved quickly. Not to mention, if you want to change reticles or do some upgrading to your Leupold, their custom shop is excellent.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom