Which scope mounts do you for your AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    for 1" scopes the Nikon P and M mounts are good and can be found locally, I have the P mount on a P300 and it's the perfect height for me.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    WSMXSKELTW.jpg

If you want QD: ADM, LaRue, & Bobro

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Nikon 223 mount
    2 Aero Precision
    Vortex Rings

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I usually go with ADM mounts, mostly b/c they are cheaper and more readily available than Larue and Brobro.

But from my understanding, for QD mounts, Brobro is THE mount to get.

As far as red dots, I have one from just about everyone. DD, ADM, Trijicon, Scalar works, Larue etc.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What makes a $60 Nikon or Burris differ from the $200 ADM or Brobro?

Well I know Burris makes a QD mount but I think Nikon isn't. That's one additional feature. Then once you compare QD models, it boils down to repeatability of poi. Some people unmount their optic for cleaning and even for traveling so it will fit in a smaller case. They want a mount that has been proven to repeat zero, since they aren't going to want to resight every time they take it down.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What makes a $60 Nikon or Burris differ from the $200 ADM or Brobro?

Quality.

I recommended the ADM, LaRue, & Bobro if you wanted a QD mount. You can buy a PEPR QD mount, but I wouldn't trust it returning to zero very well. Geissele makes an outstanding mount, but if you're questioning the difference between Nikon and Bobro, it's probably out of the realm of your needs.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Quality.

I recommended the ADM, LaRue, & Bobro if you wanted a QD mount. You can buy a PEPR QD mount, but I wouldn't trust it returning to zero very well. Geissele makes an outstanding mount, but if you're questioning the difference between Nikon and Bobro, it's probably out of the realm of your needs.

I thought the general consensus here was there is no such thing as a QD that retains zero. So what if we take actually using the QD entirely out of the discussion. Why is a LaRue worth the extra $200 bones over a Nikon. What is 4x the money actually earn me? I mean we are talking AR platform rifles not magnum chamberings. I got to be missing something because people buy the expensive stuff all day long.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I thought the general consensus here was there is no such thing as a QD that retains zero. So what if we take actually using the QD entirely out of the discussion. Why is a LaRue worth the extra $200 bones over a Nikon. What is 4x the money actually earn me? I mean we are talking AR platform rifles not magnum chamberings. I got to be missing something because people buy the expensive stuff all day long.

Kinda tough to compare the price considering the part that required the extra R&D and moving parts is part of the reason it costs more. But in general, things that cost more come with more... Meaning, better quality control, better materials, better machining etc. Visually I cannot tell the difference between a 100 dollar and 300 dollar barrel, but the 300 dollar barrel more than likely has a more expensive finish, harder or higher quality metal, and better precision. Same with the mounts, more than likely will hold your optic better, handle recoil better, and is made from barstock aluminum.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Kinda tough to compare the price considering the part that required the extra R&D and moving parts is part of the reason it costs more. But in general, things that cost more come with more... Meaning, better quality control, better materials, better machining etc. Visually I cannot tell the difference between a 100 dollar and 300 dollar barrel, but the 300 dollar barrel more than likely has a more expensive finish, harder or higher quality metal, and better precision. Same with the mounts, more than likely will hold your optic better, handle recoil better, and is made from barstock aluminum.

Based on multiple people here advising me against QD mounts or at least tempering my expectations of them on Bayou Shooter. High end QDs don't provide a definable value to me. Because once I mount a scope and zero it, taking it on and off for grins ain't happening. I get the point in not mounting any scope with cheap Ching Chong rings that will fold like Reynolds wrap. I looked at the Nikon and the one factor that bothers me about them is it doesn't have but two screws per ring, and to be fair that's probably a deal breaker for me. I feel like this is in many cases the is a 93 octane kind of argument. Don't buy crappy gas don't buy crappy rings but just like putting 93 in most (important caveat most) vehicles just is a waste of money spending an arm and a leg on high zoot mount for an AR Pattern rifle may be too. And when I say crappy rings I am referring to the crap in the hunting section of Wally World. Now after watching the Areo rings video and looking at the attachments I would consider those a no go for me as well.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Based on multiple people here advising me against QD mounts or at least tempering my expectations of them on Bayou Shooter. High end QDs don't provide a definable value to me. Because once I mount a scope and zero it, taking it on and off for grins ain't happening. I get the point in not mounting any scope with cheap Ching Chong rings that will fold like Reynolds wrap. I looked at the Nikon and the one factor that bothers me about them is it doesn't have but two screws per ring, and to be fair that's probably a deal breaker for me. I feel like this is in many cases the is a 93 octane kind of argument. Don't buy crappy gas don't buy crappy rings but just like putting 93 in most (important caveat most) vehicles just is a waste of money spending an arm and a leg on high zoot mount for an AR Pattern rifle may be too. And when I say crappy rings I am referring to the crap in the hunting section of Wally World. Now after watching the Areo rings video and looking at the attachments I would consider those a no go for me as well.

QD mounts are typically for people who have a defensive rifle. When the optic fails or becomes damaged, you can take it off and get back into the fight with your backup irons. Furthermore, you can negate the need for a QD mount if you select offset sights in lieu of the typical flip up sights. Unless you're in the business of killing bad people, you don't need a QD mount.

The Aero mounts are good to go.
    Burris PEPR mounts are good to go.
    Leupold mounts are good to go.
    Warne mounts are good to go.

And if you want an end all be all non-QD mount, get a Geissele mount.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    What Dave said is correct. you can also add Nightforce unimount and Spuhr mounts to the list of good to go mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom