Hello me pick a scope. Leopold, Bushnell, Burris.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    So I'm getting a scar 16 and decided I'd put a scope with illuminated reticle. The higher end models aren't made in China. The Burris and Bushnell are both made in Japan. The Leupold is made in the US. These three are ones I like due to the reticle either offering horseshoe or circle style. They offer true 1x for use like a red dot up close. All are about same price range.
    1) Leupold vx-6 1-6x with cmr2 reticle.
    2) Burris xtr II 1-8x with ballistic circle dot.
    3) Bushnell elite tactical smrs 1-6.5 with btr1 reticle.

Anyone have experience with these? I've read a lot of scopes with illuminated reticles wash out during bright daylight, even these models. Any input appreciated. Please don't suggest another scope unless it has a similar reticle and specs. Thanks

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I tried the Bushnell Elite and it wasn't for me. Eye relief on it was very finicky, which caused problems when trying to rapidly get the rifle on target. I ended up going back to my 1-4x Meopta and Nightforce.

I don't have experience with the others.

Illuminated reticles can be turned off, so I don't know why wash-out would be an issue. I rarely even turn mine on except twilight shooting, or maybe at night.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    My experience is with the Burris XTR: FFP, good clarity, and solid turrets. Only shoot out to 300 yards. Burris stands by their Lifetime warranty. I've never had a bad Leupold but my experience is with the VX-3 and hunting distances.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    I tried the Bushnell Elite and it wasn't for me. Eye relief on it was very finicky, which caused problems when trying to rapidly get the rifle on target. I ended up going back to my 1-4x Meopta and Nightforce.

I don't have experience with the others.

Illuminated reticles can be turned off, so I don't know why wash-out would be an issue. I rarely even turn mine on except twilight shooting, or maybe at night.
    Did you try the model in looking at? The elite tactical? I want to still be able to have the illumination during daylight just in case. The illumination washes out during daylight. Leaving the black reticle still visible.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    My experience is with the Burris XTR: FFP, good clarity, and solid turrets. Only shoot out to 300 yards. Burris stands by their Lifetime warranty. I've never had a bad Leupold but my experience is with the VX-3 and hunting distances.
    Is yours the xtr2 or original xtr? Basically almost everyone offers a lifetime warranty now. I guess to stay competitive with other companies.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I got a screaming deal on a Bushnell Elite 1x6.5 demo on my DDV11, I love the scope for the price I paid, I would NOT pay retail list price. The reticle does stay clean through all illumination settings.
    A good friend has the Leupold VX6 1x6 on his BCM Precision and it is an incredible scope.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Last edited:

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    I got a screaming deal on a Bushnell Elite 1x6.5 demo on my DDV11, I love the scope for the price I paid, I would NOT pay retail list price. The reticle does stay clean through all illumination settings.
    A good friend has the Leupold VX6 1x6 on his BCM Precision and it is an incredible scope.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey
    I guess the Leupold is the better of the three. Will probably hold its value better than the others as well.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I forward mounted a Burris Scout on my m1a and love it. Not the application you are looking for, but I have been more than happy with the quality and service from Burris.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SleepingGreyCat
    Top Bottom