Help me decide on a 30-06 hunting rifle...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    Can't decide between Remington or Savage. However, haven't looked any many besides those too.
    CZ is something I'm interested in too.
    (I'm a reloader too if that changes anything)

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Years ago I would have said Remington all the way. But now Savage has the Axis which I find is also as good as the Remington but at a lesser price than the Remington. It comes down to personal preference but if I had to choose right now, it would be the Savage Axis.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have always liked Savage. Usually great shooters out of the box and the idea of changing calibers/barrels easily myself is a real plus for me since I like to do as much of my own work as I can.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Savage 116 weather warrior with the Accustock and accutrigger is an awesome rifle. It also is stainless so it's much easier to take care of. Like a previous poster said above, in years past a Remington was the gun, but now I think savage has them. I picked up a used almost new one in .270 on this site for a great price. I gave it to my oldest son. He loves it. I am a Winchester Model 70 fan. I just love the classic look of it plus the history of the rifle.

Last edited:

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    Both make a wide range of rifles. I need more details. For who, what type of hunting, what you consider acceptable performance.
    For myself, 24. Hunting all across of North America; deer, hogs, elk, ect. As a reloader I would like to see 0.75 MOA to less.

11BravoBernie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Loranger, Louisiana
    I had a chance to shoot the Rem. 783 a customer brought in last week in 30-06. The rifle was just smooth as silk. Single-digit bolt manipulation, detach. mag, and topped off with a Vortex crossfire, this rig is not only fun to shoot, I heard it is very reasonably priced. Easily popped 1" groups at 100 unsupported prone (and I am NO SNIPER)...

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    I had a chance to shoot the Rem. 783 a customer brought in last week in 30-06. The rifle was just smooth as silk. Single-digit bolt manipulation, detach. mag, and topped off with a Vortex crossfire, this rig is not only fun to shoot, I heard it is very reasonably priced. Easily popped 1" groups at 100 unsupported prone (and I am NO SNIPER)...

good stuff

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    For myself, 24. Hunting all across of North America; deer, hogs, elk, ect. As a reloader I would like to see 0.75 MOA to less.

Thoughts on a Remington 783?

With all this said the 783 and the axis are quite budget friendly and will shoot exceptionally for the price. But the stocks are weak people often call the Tupperware. That will limit your accuracy, but let's be honest here a 1" group will get the job done for most hunting. If you want to make a habit of keyholeing target you would want to upgrade. There are a lot of offerings right now for a $500 bolt gun with scope mounted design to be hunting worthy, I say pick your favorite unless sub MOA is a deal breaker for you. you are gonna want to spend some cash.

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    With all this said the 783 and the axis are quite budget friendly and will shoot exceptionally for the price. But the stocks are weak people often call the Tupperware. That will limit your accuracy, but let's be honest here a 1" group will get the job done for most hunting. If you want to make a habit of keyholeing target you would want to upgrade. There are a lot of offerings right now for a $500 bolt gun with scope mounted design to be hunting worthy, I say pick your favorite unless sub MOA is a deal breaker for you. you are gonna want to spend some cash.

I played with a 783 today. The action was better than I thought and the trigger was amazing. (it has adjustments from 2.5-5 I believe) Yes, the stock is cheap but that not a big deal to me. My friend who owns the 783 reloads as well and shoots .050-.075 MOA with his 783. I plan to go see some others such as the AxisII ect... but for 30-06 and down, I can't seem to justify spending $1,000.00+ Now once I build my 1000 yard 6.5 Creedmoor and a long distant 300 WinMag hunting rifle, then yes.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My hunting buddy has Ruger American Predator and Ranch rifles in 308 and 300 blackout, very accurate and smooth shooting. I have the American Rimfire and love it. Ruger has stepped their game up IMO for the money

BO_V

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I have a,winchester 30-06 which was my dad's rifle
    I got after he passed away
    This rifle is a model 70 post 64
    With a 6 digit serial number
    The last time I shot it
    I was zeroing it in for 200yrds
    After I got it zeroed in
    I fired it and it was dead on
    The next 5 rounds went through the same bullet hole as the 1st one after zero

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I played with a 783 today. The action was better than I thought and the trigger was amazing. (it has adjustments from 2.5-5 I believe) Yes, the stock is cheap but that not a big deal to me. My friend who owns the 783 reloads as well and shoots .050-.075 MOA with his 783. I plan to go see some others such as the AxisII ect... but for 30-06 and down, I can't seem to justify spending $1,000.00+ Now once I build my 1000 yard 6.5 Creedmoor and a long distant 300 WinMag hunting rifle, then yes.

Look I ain't saying it can't be done but it's really hard to group .50-.75moa with a sporter weight barrel and most won't go sub 1.5moa. I know the bolts seem to lock up nice on these newer guns and the make excellent budget hunting guns, but as the barrel get hot it begins walking all over the place. Check out a budget build by "the social regressive" on YouTube. He used an axis but really he just used the action.

Look I'm not downing any of those guns, I don't own any of them only because I have older guns that can do the same job. I'm just suggesting you to temper your expectations.

Also the 30-06 is the round most every grandpa across North America shoots so with familiarity has bread contempt. It's a fantastic chambering for reloaders like yourself it does long distance like at&t in the right setup. I have always wanted to build a setup to prove it. That may be my next project after I get my Grendel squared away.

Last edited:

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    Look I ain't saying it can't be done but it's really hard to group .50-.75moa with a sporter weight barrel and most won't go sub 1.5moa. I know the bolts seem to lock up nice on these newer guns and the make excellent budget hunting guns, but as the barrel get hot it begins walking all over the place. Check out a budget build by "the social regressive" on YouTube. He used an axis but really he just used the action.

Look I'm not downing any of those guns, I don't own any of them only because I have older guns that can do the same job. I'm just suggesting you to temper your expectations.

Also the 30-06 is the round most every grandpa across North America shoots so with familiarity has bread contempt. It's a fantastic chambering for reloaders like yourself it does long distance like at&t in the right setup. I have always wanted to build a setup to prove it. That may be my next project after I get my Grendel squared away.

Why would you worry so much about barrel heat? I couldn't imagine shooting 3+ rounds while hunting within a time period of the barrel not being able to return back to normal. I also can't see myself shooting past 200 yards on a deer or hog within the area which I hunt. All of this is in response on why I can't justify spending $500+ on this rifle. I understand there are better rifles; a lot better. However, sub moa + a nice action + nice chambering + not overly overweight... it's going to do it job; right? I can see spending $1000+ chamberings built to shoot and kill 750+ yards out with ease. But this is not one of those rifles.

I'm going to go look at some Axis II's, Ruger American and the Rem700. Thoughts on the Accutrigger?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom