What would you do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Looking for thoughts/suggestions, not a debate.

There's a credible threat at my workplace. Long story short, a woman filing for divorce has been threatened by the soon to be ex-husband. He has shown up here at least once that I know of and caused a disturbance. I say it's a credible threat because our employer has hired a detail officer for a week.

Company policy says no firearms allowed inside the buildings. They know several employees have firearms in their vehicle and the policy is to simply secure it out of view.

My work area has me no more than about 300 feet from my vehicle most times. I may or may not have a firearm available in my vehicle. Used to put my car keys and phone on the desk in the morning and they would sit there until needed. About a year ago, I started carry both at all times just in case something like an industrial accident happened, not really thinking about an active shooter scenario.

So with this threat, how would you handle things?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I have a 1911 on my desk and do everyday, if the door bell rings then I'll put in the back of my pants and go answer the door. If you got a carry weapon then tuck that thing in your pants and nobody will be none the wiser, but that much safer. Better to be judged by 12, right?... Smoke em if ya got em... Better to HAVE IT and not need it!

Last edited:

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Company policies are often directed or mandated my insurance companies.
    We have certain policies in place (no personal use of company vehicle, no firearms on company property) for example...that appear to be in the books to satisfy insurance requirements... yet are apparently not adhered to by upper level management, and most people in the firm know it.
    I would risk a CCW in the office, especially if there was a credible potential threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Pulled my LCP out of the safe last week for an evening function in a very non-permissive environment. I have that pistol for that reason only. Use is maybe 2x per year, but it serves as purpose.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Im not a fan of ankle holsters, but LCP on the ankle works well in the workplace when you don't want any risk of printing/exposing your firearm.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Everyone has to decide for themselves when they are willing to willfully disregard laws or company policies ect. For me personally if I find the likelihood of me needing a gun is greater than the likelihood I will be caught carrying one where I know I'm not supposed to I take the chance and carry a anyway. Right wrong or indifferent that's my test. Subcompacts and pocket rockets are my safe space.:mamoru:

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Little anecdote here. I work in a place where an angry ex-husband walked in and killed his estranged wife. Oh, and it was a no-carry zone. He just walked up to the front desk and shot her 3 times in the chest. He did end up taking his own life, but what a tragic series of events.

I would carry something.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Everyone has to decide for themselves when they are willing to willfully disregard laws or company policies ect. For me personally if I find the likelihood of me needing a gun is greater than the likelihood I will be caught carrying one where I know I'm not supposed to I take the chance and carry a anyway. Right wrong or indifferent that's my test. Subcompacts and pocket rockets are my safe space.:mamoru:

Well said. I follow pretty much the same personal guidelines for pretty much the same personal reasons. Every time I weigh out the "what ifs" and "just in cases", safe beats sorry every time. Proper deep carry should not alert anyone.

Lemme just say that again.. Concealed carry done correctly should go completely unnoticed by all. I've raised rebuke with that statement quite a few times but there's really no argument. I've heard them all. Aside from electronics, a gun sniffing dog or a pat down, nobody should know if you do it right.

What I usually say when challenged by the Gods of concealed carry is, "so, how many times have you inadvertently revealed your dick to someone in public?"
    It usually gets pretty quiet after that.
    Better safe than sorry

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Concealed carry done correctly should go completely unnoticed by all. I've raised rebuke with that statement quite a few times but there's really no argument. I've heard them all. Aside from electronics, a gun sniffing dog or a pat down, nobody should know if you do it right.

What I usually say when challenged by the Gods of concealed carry is, "so, how many times have you inadvertently revealed your dick to someone in public?"
    It usually gets pretty quiet after that.
    Better safe than sorry

Bravo!
    My sentiments exactly.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Thanks to everyone for the responses.
    I have always agreed with the statement that concealed means concealed. I also agree that breaking company policy might be the correct thing to do based on the situation. I could always find another job, can't find another life.
    I never really thought about pocket pistols or ankle holsters before I started this thread. While it may not be ideal, it may just give me the extra seconds needed to retreat to my vehicle for something more suitable.
    I think that's all I am going to say about this. I don't have time to deal with idiots in real life that don't agree with my choices, so I try not to post too much online as to what I may or may not be carrying. Had a friend years ago that posted a picture of his kid with a rifle and he got all kinds of crap from the school his kid went to. That's a story for another time.
    Thanks again.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    a keltec .380 disappears in a pocket. For years I carried a Beretta M21 in .22lr. The NAA revolvers are even smaller. Carry something....

Top Bottom