Defective Scope? Mount off?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    Went to Honey Island range Sunday to try to sight in a new .45-70 and scope combination. Rifle is CVA Stalker with a factory supplied Durasight mount. Scope is a Cabela's lever action 3x9. Everything is brand new. I started at 25 yds just to get on paper. Windage was dead on, but impact was maybe 12" or more low. Seemed a little much, but no problem, cranked up on elevation adjustment - don't recall now, but maybe 16-20 clicks. Fired again. Impact up maybe 1/2". A little puzzled, but I didn't see anything to do but continue upping the elevation. I repeated this process 3-4 more times. By the 5th shot I was still 6" or so below my aiming point. For sh*ts and giggles I took a shot at 100yds. Missed the entire target board completely. I didn't reach the end of the scope's available elevation adjustment, but I have to believe I was getting close.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that the scope or maybe the mount/rings are off somehow?

Thanks.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If you have 1/4 min knobs, and are an inch low at 25, you would need to put in 16 clicks up.

So you're looking at 192 clicks up

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    If you have 1/4 min knobs, and are an inch low at 25, you would need to put in 16 clicks up.

So you're looking at 192 clicks up

Yes - 1/4 min knobs. 192 clicks? Is this "normal"? I have not sighted in a ton of scopes, but I have nothad one need that much adjustment.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    The base or rings might need to be shimmed. Have you checked the number of clicks to see if you are near the midpoint in elevation?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    12 inches low at 25 yards is 48 inches low at 100 yards. 48 inches low times 1/4 inch clicks is 192 clicks. That's a lot of clicks.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    12 inches low at 25 yards is 48 inches low at 100 yards. 48 inches low times 1/4 inch clicks is 192 clicks. That's a lot of clicks.

Most likely more than the scope can handle.

Sounds like either you have the incorrect mount or your scope is FUBAR.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

I'm with Dave if the scope needs 48moa (likely can't adjust that much) to zero something is wrong.

Picture of the setup? Any attempt prior to shooting at bore sighting?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Went to Honey Island range Sunday to try to sight in a new .45-70 and scope combination. Rifle is CVA Stalker with a factory supplied Durasight mount. Scope is a Cabela's lever action 3x9. Everything is brand new. I started at 25 yds just to get on paper. Windage was dead on, but impact was maybe 12" or more low. Seemed a little much, but no problem, cranked up on elevation adjustment - don't recall now, but maybe 16-20 clicks. Fired again. Impact up maybe 1/2". A little puzzled, but I didn't see anything to do but continue upping the elevation. I repeated this process 3-4 more times. By the 5th shot I was still 6" or so below my aiming point. For sh*ts and giggles I took a shot at 100yds. Missed the entire target board completely. I didn't reach the end of the scope's available elevation adjustment, but I have to believe I was getting close.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that the scope or maybe the mount/rings are off somehow?

Thanks.

Check to see if the mount has MOA built into it and is mounted backwards.
    That still would not explain the the scopes corrections being off.
    Are you sure it is a 1/4 MOA and not 1/8 MOA clicks

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Check to see if the mount has MOA built into it and is mounted backwards.
    That still would not explain the the scopes corrections being off.
    Are you sure it is a 1/4 MOA and not 1/8 MOA clicks

It's 1/4" adjustments:

Windage/Elevation adjustment moves POI .25 inch at 100 yards

The mount does not have MOA adjustments built in.

Most likely it's a bad scope and the OP should return it to Cabela's or exchange it for another.

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    The base or rings might need to be shimmed. Have you checked the number of clicks to see if you are near the midpoint in elevation?

The base should not require shimming. This model Durasight is made exactly for this rifle. Here is a link to the rifles. Mine is the .45-70 model close to the bottom. The sight comes with the rifle. Here is a link to the rifle with the mount. http://www.cva.com/CVA-store.php?shop=Centerfire%20Rifles%20&category=Stalker%20Rifles#l

I have not checked the number of clicks to find the midpoint. I may give that shot this evening, but I am leaning more towards some of the comments from the other posters regarding the available number of clicks/MOA adjustment available.

Mount should be correct as it is purpose made for this rifle. Leaning towards the scope.

I'm with Dave if the scope needs 48moa (likely can't adjust that much) to zero something is wrong.

Picture of the setup? Any attempt prior to shooting at bore sighting?

Dont have any pictures of the rifle handy, but it looks exactly like those linked above. I did attempt to bore sight but even at 25 yards you can see nearly the whole target board through the bore. I didnt find that very helpful. If my reading is correct, most scopes wouldn't have that much adjustment in any one direction. I doubt this scope is an exception.

Sounds like I will be making a trip to Cabelas... Will be testing their product "guarantee" 'cause I am way out of the 90 day return policy period at this point.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well you can eliminate the scope base by using another scope. If the alternate scope is spot on, then you know it's not the base.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I did attempt to bore sight but even at 25 yards you can see nearly the whole target board through the bore. I didnt find that very helpful.

Is that like a check engine joke?

Return the the scope and pick up one of these. With that 45/70 running nearly $2 a round to best of my memory the kit will pay for itself. I would suggest a kit that does multiple calibers.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/boresighters/br?cid=11751

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    Well you can eliminate the scope base by using another scope. If the alternate scope is spot on, then you know it's not the base.

Good thought. Might give that try this weekend.

Is that like a check engine joke?

Return the the scope and pick up one of these. With that 45/70 running nearly $2 a round to best of my memory the kit will pay for itself. I would suggest a kit that does multiple calibers.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/boresighters/br?cid=11751

Ha - no wasn't meant to be a joke. Thought you meant actually looking down the bore as can be done with smaller caliber bolt actions. Actually - I have a Bushnell laser bore sight tool that I bought for this very task - only problem was I couldnt see the laser even at 25 yards. Maybe I will try one of the other types.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    its possible you received the scope with the crosshairs Not in the center! Look up the specs and see how much adj you have and put the crosshairs back in the center and try again

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom