Careless Operations Ticket

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    I'm a 24 year old Graduate Student leaving campus one day...

I received a careless operations ticket in September after I was t-boned by an uninsured motorist.
    The motorist also received ticket(s) himself.
    The motorist attempted an illegal u-turn and hit the right side of my car, totaling it out.
    However! I attempted to avoid being hit by moving into the turning lane where I was struck.
    If I didn't move into the turning lane I would have t-boned his car.
    No witnesses stopped and the cop did not witness anything but said the reason why he is writing me a ticket is because he couldn't justify moving into the turning lane.
    My court date is on Thursday in Amite and I plan to fight this ticket.
    My insurance totaled out my car and has paid for my medical bills. (ER + Physical Therapy)
    My insurance also stated that I'm not at fault for the accident and may or may not be suing the other party involved.
    My insurance has increased due to covering a newer vehicle which on average carries higher rates than my previous.

I'm bringing all paperwork possible from medical bills, to statement from insurance, damages to my car, photos of my car, ect...

My question(s)
    Do I show up to the court house and ask to speak with the DA?
    Do I simply sit down and wait for the Judge to call me and I plead not guilty and present my case?
    Do I visit the DA before my court date?

My understanding is that the ticket will be just under $400 and has the potential to increase insurance by 80%...

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Article 894. First time misdemeanor. I had the exact thing happen in hammond. I was hit and pushed into another car. I plead 894 in traffic court. The da and judge laughed, but dropped the ticket. After it was over I sent the court disposition to insurance company and DMV. It was taken off my record and insurance went back down. Do your research. Talk to da. You might get lucky like I did. But I had no prior criminal or moving violations.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Article 894. First time misdemeanor. I had the exact thing happen in hammond. I was hit and pushed into another car. I plead 894 in traffic court. The da and judge laughed, but dropped the ticket. After it was over I sent the court disposition to insurance company and DMV. It was taken off my record and insurance went back down. Do your research. Talk to da. You might get lucky like I did. But I had no prior criminal or moving violations.

This.

You should also try talking to an attorney and getting actual legal advice.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I may be wrong, but I was told by a state trooper and assistant DA that you should not use an attorney to plead this way. Basically if you can afford a attorney you can afford to pay fine is what I was told. But by all means call an attorney that gives free consultation. It worked for me but don't walk into court based on Internet advise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Fight it, the officer is wrong, study up on the Louisiana traffic code, specifically the careless operation statue, lane usage, and the u turn statue. Try to talk to the DA first if he has a lik of sense he will dismiss it.

Top Bottom