Anyone local (NOLA) do grip stippling?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just like the title states, does anyone do grip stippling local to NOLA, I have a couple glocks I may want to get done if the price is right.

Search function showed threads on Lafayette and BR guys asking, nothing for NOLA guys.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    A wood burner is about $20. Why not try yourself?

This was my first attempt on a Glock frame.

29354095930_601a01d589_b.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Figured I would probably mess up or make it look horrible. Maybe someone with experience would do better

No worries. That's why I did my 42 first. It's a pocket gun, so I wasn't concerned with screwing it up. Functionally, it works fine after carrying it and having it smooth out over time. I'm going to attempt to do a G19 soon.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'll look into it, my brother tried it with a soldering iron and it looked horrible. BUT he knows how ZEV gets their pattern on the stipple. So he actually checkered a head so it will give you the perfectly square holes.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Decided to finally attempt it, practiced on an a2 grip this morning, removing the finger groove seemed easy enough. Taking off the bumps weren't so bad either. So I pulled one of my glocks out the safe (have 3 17's and 2 34's) so didn't mind messing up a full size frame. What I learned, the rear serrations are a pain to remove smoothly. But I forged on and I'm happy with the results.
    AE385507-1633-44F5-B7ED-622D5DD7FB18_zpsjh2b3fup.jpg

The 17 came out better than expected considering it was my first time. Took me about an hour to do it. In the picture is a factory built Zev tech dragonfly which is he pattern I was going for.

F09EA994-0889-44A0-AA15-3D432C14BE72_zpslyw39fpd.jpg

Then I did my 19 Bc I felt more confident in my technique. I like how it came out.

63D69888-7542-451E-8C5E-103D06E169D7_zps4tav8xz6.jpg

Lastly the two I stippled today, and a zevtech dragonfly in the middle to compare it to. Overall I'm happy. Took me about 45 minutes on the Glock 19 but I removed the finger grooves instead of just "mellowing" them out.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Damn impressive, great job Stephen.

Thanks, I plan to tackle another two glocks tomorrow. Might hold off till my magwell comes in though. I think the next one I'm going to try to curve the corners instead of being straight

Mule700

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    Wow noob you did a great job. I've been wanting to try stippling on one of my G19's but haven't had the nerve to try it yet.

If you wouldn't mind could you tell me about the aftermarket triggers you have in your Glocks. I want to do a trigger upgrade, but I want one that I can safely use in my conceal carry pistol. Thanks.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Wow noob you did a great job. I've been wanting to try stippling on one of my G19's but haven't had the nerve to try it yet.

If you wouldn't mind could you tell me about the aftermarket triggers you have in your Glocks. I want to do a trigger upgrade, but I want one that I can safely use in my conceal carry pistol. Thanks.

I run zev fulcrum or ultimate triggers in all of my glocks. (That way since they all have the same trigger system, there's no "learning" curve from picking up one from another. The only difference between the fulcrum and the ultimate is that the ultimate comes with a lightened firing pin.

Triggers I've tried: just about every #3.5 connector, Agency's flat trigger, random spring combinations from ghost, zev etc, and zev's trigger system.

My take, the 3.5# connector is great, VERY slight difference in pull weight but very much "glock". Add a trigger return spring, and the trigger gets lighter, but you lose some of that "crispness" and reset. You add in MORE springs, and you lose reliability including failure to reset etc.

The agency trigger really didn't change pull weight for me, Just gave it a flatter shorter trigger pull. Very short feeling to me, which is nice, add a zev connector, firing pin spring, and firing pin block spring and it really made it shine.

The zev trigger system which can be had for about the same price when on sale, as JUST the agency trigger, is a WHOLE kit. Comes complete with trigger bar, shoe, housing, connector, polished firing pin block, and associated springs. With 2 options for firing pin springs. It may be too light for carry but with the 3# spring, I feel fine, 2# spring is very very light. Strangely though, I have ~7 ZEV kits, and depending on the gun, the pull weight will vary.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Decided to do another one today btw. Another glock 19. Was kinda rushing it (trying to get it done while my baby was taking a nap). But over all I'm happy with it. Decided to try to "curve" the edges instead of being straight like my previous two (did this free hand instead of using a straight edge to keep me in a straight line). Also tried my best to keep the glock logo, but my unsteady hand accidentally hit the inside of the box.
    59D75DBB-CAE9-4B5E-906E-42C42ACAEE7E_zps9au9jcnu.jpg

Pardon my feet, and the extension cords (I used it to lengthen the cord and lay it over my shoulder as to not get in the way of the stipple.

Here it is with magwell installed
    546B4B46-9D80-4BAB-B3BF-49125103583C_zpskhi97uwn.jpg

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    So.... there's first for everything. Last weekend I tried stippling for the first time, today I grabbed another frame and tried a double undercut for the first time. Never did this before, so I just started slow till I got the feel of it.

1542C114-A4B0-4BF4-9FBD-BE7DE113D195_zpsj665vbsp.jpg

Overall I'm happy for it being a first attempt.

Then I went ahead and stippled the frame while I was at it. Removed finger grooves, added "memory pads" and reduced the backstrap slightly.
    AA1FE2AA-B8AE-4E33-B6B1-02047E5F9EE0_zpsefzujh3w.jpg

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    looks good, Shootwise it the place on Lafayette st in the Westbank? Haven't been there in a while. Might have to stop in and check out what you have.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yes, 1515 Lafayette St. Inside Topper World. Next to the Racetrac gas station. See Ryan.

I've been there a few years ago when y'all first started selling guns and you had a bunch of stainless USP's in stock.

Top Bottom