backpacking food

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm looking for some different food ideas. I'm allergic to onions (even onion powder) so most of the freeze dried foods don't work for me.

What do you bring?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I'm looking for some different food ideas. I'm allergic to onions (even onion powder) so most of the freeze dried foods don't work for me.

What do you bring?

How long of a trip? If only a couple of nights, some Sumatra rice and dried peas/beans with your own spice blend would work fine. Add in powdered milk and granola for a breakfast or two and you'd be good to go!

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Buy dehydrator and make your own. Look on youtube for making dehydrated foods. Its really easy.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For the first night, you can bring steaks to cook.

For the mornings, bringing "Just add Water" pancake mix in zip-loc portions makes for a good breakfast.

31164389621_7333385a94.jpg

For the second day, you can easily bring canned chicken and pasta or rice to cook. With enough spices, it's not that bad.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Every year in January I go with some buddies on a 3 day primitive camping trip. The rules are you take whatever you want but you have to carry it, but NO FOOD. You have to kill what you eat. We haven't ever starved but some years may have lost a few lbs. (which might be good). Some years we have feasted like kings. Always makes for good memories either way, and now that we are all getting older we have way more stories about ridiculous things we did to eat!

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Every year in January I go with some buddies on a 3 day primitive camping trip. The rules are you take whatever you want but you have to carry it, but NO FOOD. You have to kill what you eat. We haven't ever starved but some years may have lost a few lbs. (which might be good). Some years we have feasted like kings. Always makes for good memories either way, and now that we are all getting older we have way more stories about ridiculous things we did to eat!

It used to be 4 guys, but nobody knows what happened on one of those starving trips, right?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Our is the end of February every year, but we bring food. Big group tho, around 30+. We drive right up to a private camp site and I usually do a big breakfast every morning over a fire, complete with coffee. Damn good coffee.

As to the OP's question, when I go alone on a 3 day or so, I pack what I can carry. Gallon of water plus my 3 day pack. I like rice, beans, pasta along with a little veg oil. Seasoning, honey, canned tuna and even spam resides in my pack. My thought is to bring some staples and some backup in case the meat don't come easy, but I've not gone hungry yet.
    I have no problems living in the wilderness for 3-4 days at a time, but longer than that is a lot of work.

154b15926617aaaacbdbb58d017b3dc9.jpg

83a0e233418a976cbe0d9a06ded6c140.jpg

My ready pack. Always accessible. On a 3-4 day vacation I trade the beretta for a .22 survival rifle. And I like a spool of braided fishing line and hooks and such.
    The bladder I carry holds 5 liters, life straw just in case, tools, shelter, first aid and even ass wipes. Dry socks, gloves, and tons more. 21 pounds without the water and game getter. Snares over bullets but sometimes I cave in and shoot a critter.
    It's good for a person to go it alone for a few days every so often. I believe everyone should try it.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Our is the end of February every year, but we bring food. Big group tho, around 30+. We drive right up to a private camp site and I usually do a big breakfast every morning over a fire, complete with coffee. Damn good coffee.

As to the OP's question, when I go alone on a 3 day or so, I pack what I can carry. Gallon of water plus my 3 day pack. I like rice, beans, pasta along with a little veg oil. Seasoning, honey, canned tuna and even spam resides in my pack. My thought is to bring some staples and some backup in case the meat don't come easy, but I've not gone hungry yet.
    I have no problems living in the wilderness for 3-4 days at a time, but longer than that is a lot of work.

154b15926617aaaacbdbb58d017b3dc9.jpg

83a0e233418a976cbe0d9a06ded6c140.jpg

My ready pack. Always accessible. On a 3-4 day vacation I trade the beretta for a .22 survival rifle. And I like a spool of braided fishing line and hooks and such.
    The bladder I carry holds 5 liters, life straw just in case, tools, shelter, first aid and even ass wipes. Dry socks, gloves, and tons more. 21 pounds without the water and game getter. Snares over bullets but sometimes I cave in and shoot a critter.
    It's good for a person to go it alone for a few days every so often. I believe everyone should try it.
    What's in the little Coleman package?

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    What's in the little Coleman package?

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

water purification... if my guess is right.

One is water purification tabs, the other is compressed paraffin and wood fire starters. Just some good tender for getting an emergency fire going. I guess you really can't see everything I have in that pile, the compressed rain gear, shelter goods and hygiene/medical stuff is hidden. But there's literally everything I need that nature can't provide or I can't put together with the tools I have. And I can spend a few pleasant days in comfort, but I ain't no sofa tater.

There's a ton of info on the web about what you should pack in your bag, but until you make a few trips out and realize what's nice to have and what you really need, you just never know. The trick is to pack multi use items and don't be trying to haul 80 pounds through the woods. I usually try to go early in the morning my first day. I like to camp by rivers or fresh water (spring fed) creeks. I get my campsite knocked out first and then go on the food hunt. I try to make my lunch and supper from what I can forage.
    Set out baited and game trail snares and or tight lines or fish traps, and whatever else I need to do to make my next meal and drink ready and waiting, but will hunt by opportunity the entire day. My only fear is that I'll run into people while I'm out, so I usually trek far off the beaten path.
    Tunica hills is nice if you can read a topo map or use GPS, Homochitto and other parks and large blocks of roadless forest. But nothing beats permission from a private land owner.
    Go get lost for a weekend. Challenge yourself. It is addictive and rewarding.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    You guys are straying from the OP. OP asked for backpacking food. Some of ya'll are bad ass if you backpack pots and cinder blocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom