Recommendation for first 1911!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I got this one has the front runner right now! The Springfield R/O is a little more than I want to spend and this is a 10mm and besides I have a coworker who has it and I'm going to go shoot it next week!
    The only 10mm id own right now which may be my next pistol purchase is the glock 20. If i am concerned with a ballistics of a round, it will be for self defense. And in that case, i want more capacity, reliability and less weight. The 1911 platform doesnt offer me that. Good lock with your buddy's pistol and i hope you find what you want whether it is or isnt the right thing for you.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would looking into the various offering from Eagle Imports. Their site is American Classic, and they have a few sub brands, such as metro arms, etc. I have a Metro Arms Bobcut, and it is very well finished, machined and has a very nice trigger. It easily compares with a Kimber. I have read a bunch of reviews (from people, not the shill gun sites) and the general consensus is that the Metro guns are well made. RIA also rank well with users, so you might want to look into them too.

I have had a few Kimbers, make no mistake they are production guns. Yes they have a "name". If you own a Harley that may matter to you.

I traded my last Kimber for a S&W 1911 (and cash!), and the smith has better finish on the stainless parts, and it has a better trigger. Small sample, yes, but I am just not seeing what Kimber has that the various similar priced 1911 do not...

The Bobcut also has the best barrel fit that I have seen in a production gun. When it is in battery there is no downward movement of the barrel, yet it opens easily, meaning the lugs are well fitted to the slide stop. No up and down movement of the slide in battery, and very slight side to side movement. Not sure if these guns have any handfitting, or maybe I have a ringer, lucky me!

As far a 10mm in a 1911 goes, just make sure you use good mags. And be aware that recoil spring weights may need to be adjusted depending on you ammo. 10mm has a very wide range of bullet weights and power factors, so you may want a selection of recoil springs to tune the gun.

I have the following 1911s, feel free to ask if you want any info...

S&W 1911 govt
    S&W 1911SC
    Para Ordnance P14
    Metro Arms Bobcut
    Sig Sauer GSR
    Para 1911 govt
    Ithaca WW2 1911 govt
    ODI Viking Compact
    Para Ordnance P18 40s/w-10mm
    RIA 22TCM/9mm
    and I have owned at least a dozen others

My best advise is to buy what you want, don't fall into the trap of buying a cheaper "no frills" 1911 and then upgrading it. Most of the parts have to be fitted, and it takes skill to do this correctly. Plus you will spend alot of money and end up with a bunch of parts that you have no use for that have no resale value. I mentioned the Eagle Imports guns as they have alot of nice features already done, beavertails, lowered/flared ejection port, etc.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    My best advise is to buy what you want, don't fall into the trap of buying a cheaper "no frills" 1911 and then upgrading it. Most of the parts have to be fitted, and it takes skill to do this correctly. Plus you will spend alot of money and end up with a bunch of parts that you have no use for that have no resale value. I mentioned the Eagle Imports guns as they have alot of nice features already done, beavertails, lowered/flared ejection port, etc.

What is the general price range on these Eagle Import guns? I may be interested in a 9mm at some point, and would like to have it with some competition features like flaired ejection port, etc. What price range do you think I should expect to pay for a nice rig like that from Eagle Import?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Not really sure what the new prices are, msrp is usally higher than retail, but retail can vary alot depending on where you like to shop. Buds guns online is usually cheap, or you can scour armslist and gunbroker. If you only buy local/live, you may want to hit up your favorite gun store and see if they can order one for you or have any in stock. I got my bobcut off a bs member who happened to work at a gun store. So it was technically NIB, but 2nd hand at the same time!

I did plenty of research online, and the price I paid was very fair.

Looking on gunbroker the American classic 2 is around 500
    the trophy is around 800
    metro models that are similar run from 500-800

I find gunbroker is usually higher than local. Plus there may be a sale, buds is known for that. PSA had a sale last week on the bobcut for 499, a good deal for sure.

Top Bottom