Recommendation for first 1911!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    In the near future I'm looking to purchase a 1911 I'm not brand specific mainly wanted to keep the price below about $700-$800 max. I shot all the name brands from Kimbers,Colts ,Taurus down to the Para, all shot fine so I don't have a problem buying a cheaper version so that I can customize it the way I want it. I tend to like the Taurus or maybe the Remington but not against buying a Rock Island or ATI if the price is right and I can install a better trigger and such. Any ideas for a good 1st 1911??

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't know your skills but from what I have read you don't just "install a better trigger" on a 1911. Iirc, it's more a tuning and trueing operation best performed by skilled and highly experienced smiths.

I took an old colt apart once to thoroughly clean it. I won't do it again. I will say that is when I realized the brilliance of John Browning.

As for guns in that price range, I hear good things about the Rugers and Springfields.

I got lucky, I bought a custom built colt from a member on here. It has a permanent home now ;)

Good luck

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Personally, for a starter or any level 1911 Springfield has one for every price range. The range officer would be a good first 1911 in your budget range. I love my trp, and had a loaded and range officer that were great. My brother shoots a mc operator

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I love my Springfield, I have the Range Officer Operator. For similar money my wife has the Colt Competition and it's very nice as well.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I like my Remington R1 a lot. Got it from another member here. It's a semi-replica of an old GI 1911, except with better 3 dot sights. It's very well made for the <$700 price range new. I got mine used for less. I think if you are spending $1,000 you get a lot more options to choose from in makes and models. But at $700-800 the main ones I see are Remington, Springfield and Ruger for solid basic models. If you want something in that price range with more features, like extended beaver tail, maybe extra grip stippling, etc., then Rock Island seems to be reasonable, offering more bells and whistles in that price range.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have several 1911's, STI, Sig, Rem, S&W, Rock Island. For the money ($550-600) you'd be hard pressed to beat the Rock Island. I have the commander length, it came with VZ grips, Fiber Optic front sight, adjustable rear sight, mag well, and front strap serration. I did a trigger job to it like I do all my 1911's, but the out of the box trigger pull is good, and the gun is very accurate and reliable. I'll put it up to any of my other 1911's. The recoil actually feels softer than my full size guns and gets right back on target. Get the version like mine, either Commander or Full Size and you won't be disappointed. Also this is the first 1911 that I don't have to disable the grip safety, this one works great with my high grip.

Last edited:

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Personally, for a starter or any level 1911 Springfield has one for every price range. The range officer would be a good first 1911 in your budget range. I love my trp, and had a loaded and range officer that were great. My brother shoots a mc operator
    This.

Get a Range officer or a Ruger.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I can install a better trigger and such. Any ideas for a good 1st 1911??

Because you have some gunsmithing skills, learn to tune the internal extractor in a 1911 and buy a Kimber. You can find a Pro Carry II online for <$700.

Kimber1_zpspcdkq88y.jpg

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Springfield Range Officer... Love mine. I have some semi custom 1911's, and this RO has really impressed me. Mine is a full sized 9mm, but I am sure the prophets caliber is made just as well.

I don't know your skills but from what I have read you don't just "install a better trigger" on a 1911. Iirc, it's more a tuning and trueing operation best performed by skilled and highly experienced smiths.

I took an old colt apart once to thoroughly clean it. I won't do it again. I will say that is when I realized the brilliance of John Browning.

LOL, I hear you about a detail strip of a 1911 can be an interesting experience. Thank God for the YouTube, or I would have had to make the walk of shame to the local gunsmith with a box of 1911 parts for him to assemble... :cool:

I am not up to a trigger job on one, but it I watched a guy do one, it is mainly bending one of the leaf springs a tiny bit at a time. Very tedious.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Springfield Range Officer... Love mine. I have some semi custom 1911's, and this RO has really impressed me. Mine is a full sized 9mm, but I am sure the prophets caliber is made just as well.

LOL, I hear you about a detail strip of a 1911 can be an interesting experience. Thank God for the YouTube, or I would have had to make the walk of shame to the local gunsmith with a box of 1911 parts for him to assemble... :cool:

I am not up to a trigger job on one, but it I watched a guy do one, it is mainly bending one of the leaf springs a tiny bit at a time. Very tedious.

I've always tweaked my triggers some mainly just by polishing everything, but am good enough to perform some decent action jobs on my own weapons. I figured if I can build a AR from a box of parts I should be able to D&A a 1911, besides I can take apart high end luxury cars and put them back together so I should be ok! lol

I'm liking this model for around $600.

https://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/rocktt.jpg

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I had a RIA. No complaints about it, but was never 'happy' with it. I wish I had taken my friend's advice and saved up for a different gun. Of course, my friends have Ed Brown and Wilson Combat 1911's... Not putting RIA down at all, just think there are better options for only a few dollars more. And, if later on you want to send it off for some custom work, you might want a better 'base gun'.

The Springfield has really impressed me. Amazing how many companies are making a gun that was designed back in the early 1900's. Fun stuff!

Hey, Bam, ever go near Lake Charles? I go there fairly often, and shoot with another 1911 freak. Maybe we could meet up, and let you check out some different guns.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    That sucks, would be a great way to try out some guns without buying them. Good luck! Curious what you will wind up with.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    I'm not a 1911 fanatic (primarily like Old West sixguns and lever actions) but do appreciate the quality and performance of my stainless Springfield milspec and can recommend it without reservation.

Top Bottom