Internet on a houseboat

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Anyone use a LTE mobile modem/router combinations you just put a sim card into? The problem is trying to get a friend’s house boat in Vacherie connected to internet somehow. It’s mainly used on weekends and holidays the rest of the time he’s not there. He wants to put up camera’s which is no problem but he wants to be able to view them remotely. The only two options we’ve come up with are either using a modem/router combination through a mobile carrier and have it contain an Ethernet port for the DVR to plug into or trying to see if there are any companies that could connect internet to a pole or something external that could be unplugged in order to go out in to the water and then plugged back in when back on land. Anyone have experience with getting either of those two done successfully?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Anyone use a LTE mobile modem/router combinations you just put a sim card into? The problem is trying to get a friend’s house boat in Vacherie connected to internet somehow. It’s mainly used on weekends and holidays the rest of the time he’s not there. He wants to put up camera’s which is no problem but he wants to be able to view them remotely. The only two options we’ve come up with are either using a modem/router combination through a mobile carrier and have it contain an Ethernet port for the DVR to plug into or trying to see if there are any companies that could connect internet to a pole or something external that could be unplugged in order to go out in to the water and then plugged back in when back on land. Anyone have experience with getting either of those two done successfully?

Cameras for monitoring theft or something? why not trail cameras that send photos to your phone if all he wants is cameras?

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    He's had problems with people dumping stuff on his property and parking and tearing up stuff. He's putting up HD cameras no matter what he just wants a way to view remotely.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    if there is good 4g or 5g lte in the area a mobile hotspot would work good post up to the clouds so you have it if everything gets stolen

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    if there is good 4g or 5g lte in the area a mobile hotspot would work good post up to the clouds so you have it if everything gets stolen

This^
    How is cell phone service?
    If it is marginal, then it may not work well.
    If cell service (3g or higher) is good, the it should work well.

Does he have power on the house boat when he is away?

Verizon has a device that has wired connections.
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/hom...n-lte-internet-and-home-phone/#sku=sku1980155

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    He's got power on land. Generator while in water. He only wants them recording when he's docked on land and away. Problem is DVR has no wireless connectivity so has to be plugged into an Ethernet port. Never tried connecting a router with Ethernet port to a hotspot somehow. I know there are ways of doing it just haven't played with one before.
    He has unlimited data with AT&T. He may have to get a hotspot through Verizon though if all other options fail.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    He's got power on land. Generator while in water. He only wants them recording when he's docked on land and away. Problem is DVR has no wireless connectivity so has to be plugged into an Ethernet port. Never tried connecting a router with Ethernet port to a hotspot somehow. I know there are ways of doing it just haven't played with one before.
    He has unlimited data with AT&T. He may have to get a hotspot through Verizon though if all other options fail.

If he has unlimited data with AT&T see what they have to offer.
    I only see wireless devices for AT&T.
    Connecting wireless hotspot to a router is very doable but will require some work.
    If he is or has a friend that is tech savvy it's not that hard. I or other members could lend some expertise.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    The production companies do it all the time. they use what looks like standard routers with a USB wireless hot spot cards plugged into a USB slot on the router. Also some of our construction clients use a cradle point which looks to be made exactly as a mobile network that uses 4g hotspot for wan connectivity which would work well for what you are describing.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    These work well.
    We use them on our solar powered camera towers at work.
    http://store.usatcorp.com/index.php..._id=20&zenid=11cf386a455bff0a8b1482ba0f42be79

95e650e31060a7aec57cce62fc0d89da.png

Last edited:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Another vote for cradlepoint, we recommend them to our customers for your exact application.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Seems like you could make any of the wireless hotspot devices work, but the bottom line is how good is the service there. there is a huge difference in LTE performance and 3G performance. ( there is no 5G- anywhere except for labs that are trying to decide what 5G will be). The best performance will be with a device that allows an external antenna to be connected. The cradlepoint device shown in another post has a connector that would allow a high gain directional antenna to be connected. A directional antenna, mounted outside and as high up as possible will give the best results. You may be able to get a security system from someone like Simply Safe, without monitoring, but with a camera and a wireless solution that is reasonable in cost.

Saint Peter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    morgan city, la
    Why not install cell booster I installed those on tugs and barges when no one had any signal, they work great just buy a reputable brand. The ones I I stalled were marine and run about 800 but you can find do deals for as low as 400 if you shop around during some

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom