IWB carry, in vehicle question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Am I the only one who has considered the possibility of injury to the lower abdomen from my pistol and holster in an accident? This is me asking it was a consideration that came to mind about a month ago and I can't get out of my head. Any medics, doctors, etc. have an opinion? In my case the lap belt goes right over top my belt.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Am I the only one who has considered the possibility of injury to the lower abdomen from my pistol and holster in an accident? This is me asking it was a consideration that came to mind about a month ago and I can't get out of my head. Any medics, doctors, etc. have an opinion? In my case the lap belt goes right over top my belt.

I was in a car accident last year while appendix carrying a Glock 17. At a stop light, a lady ran into the back of my car at 45 mph (+/-). My seatbelt was on the outside of my belt/holster, and I did not have any injuries.

If I'm ever in a worse accident, injuries to my abdomen are the least of my concerns.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I was in a car accident last year while appendix carrying a Glock 17. At a stop light, a lady ran into the back of my car at 45 mph (+/-). My seatbelt was on the outside of my belt/holster, and I did not have any injuries.

If I'm ever in a worse accident, injuries to my abdomen are the least of my concerns.

I've been rear ended a few times but my seat belt has never locked up. The worst I have ever suffered was my back was stiff (a complete non issue). Many years ago I was rear ended hard enough to pick the rear of my truck up, but again I don't think our seatbelts even locked up and we were all young kids with no real aches or pains. Last year I was rearended by a young lady who was rear ended herself. And it was such a mild hit on my end I barely felt the impact, but she was hurt pretty bad.

I guess my point in all that is; it's impossible to predict all the variables, but from my experience rear end collisions seem to be less violent than head-on.

Last edited:

BO_V

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Off duty I do carry in the appendix area
    While in my POV I put my 26 in the door handle for comfort
    But when I get out I holster it up with a shirt covering it up badge exposed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

If you were involved in a car accident, what would happen to the firearm in your door?

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    ... In my POV, I put it in the cup holder with hat or some such over it. Strong side, easy access ... (center console) ... spare mag(s) in other holder. (My truck has 4 in center console ... so plenty of space.) It fits perfectly and is easy access.

Lots of good info in this thread .. thanks guys!

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Off duty (im assuming LEO) you have your badge visible and your gun concealed?

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Have a incog IWB that I haven't been using much (because I was so used to me Shield in the 7:00 position with my hybrid holster.
    After watching a couple vids about "big guy AIWB" I tried it yesterday at 11:00, with my belt at navel height.
    MAN! I think I could really get used to this, and it also seems much easier to conceal (with untucked shirt).
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom