IWB carry, in vehicle question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wondering how many out there are actually left handed, carry at/around 7:00 (or right handlers that carry at 4:00 may have some insight this too).
    My question is, when in a vehicle, do u take your firearm out for quicker access (and increase comfort), should something shake down that would require a quick draw?
    If so, where do you put it? (Looking into under-dash kydex holster/mounts).
    I'm in a F-150, which has deep door pockets (possible option) and also a door grab/handle that is deep enough (and low enough to still be semi-concealed) that my G19 fits into.
    I know and think i understand the risks of doing this....namely having the firearm out, repeatedly without trigger guard...and also the fact that you have to do some semi-gymnastics in the front seat to re-holster (which may be a semi-give away of CCW).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I recommend not carrying the pistol where you have to reach behind your back in order to draw.

satoups

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lousiana
    Lefty here myself. When on then Hwy I keep it center console or on me. When in questionable areas, between my outer thigh and seat.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I recommend not carrying the pistol where you have to reach behind your back in order to draw.

Agreed.
    Have an incog for AIWB, but haven't quite figured how to wear it during the week (dress work clothes). I use it during the weekend with more casual clothes.
    I'm 6', 220 lbs...so my tactical cushion makes 7:00 much more comfortable and concealable (based on the holsters I've tried so far).
    Thinking about a T Rex sidecar or LLOD for AIWB.
    Also, getting more serious about weight loss/control so this is a more feasible option.

Last edited:

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lefty here myself. When on then Hwy I keep it center console or on me. When in questionable areas, between my outer thigh and seat.

So, on your right?
    Guess it's still easy enough to access across your body, instead of from behind you/the seatbelt etc.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Southpaw here I carry appendix and strong side. In the truck I can drive for hours in both positions. Recently I considered what would happen in an accident while appendix carrying, and my fear is under harsh enough conditions I may suffer some internal injuries if the lap belt engaged to tightly. As for drawing from a seated position. I believe on your person is the best option. Just adjust your clothing accordingly.

I do carry a smaller gun than you (s&w shield).

Last edited:

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Southpaw here I carry appendix and strong side. In the truck I can drive for hours in both positions. Recently I considered what would happen in an accident while appendix carrying, and my fear is under harsh enough conditions I may suffer some internal injuries if the lap belt engaged to tightly. As for drawing from a seated position. I believe on your person is the best option. Just adjust your clothing accordingly.

I do carry a smaller gun than you (s&w shield).

Gotcha
    Yes, I have a shield/apex too (and still love it), but recently switched to the 19 (for higher capacity and RD).
    Do u wear a tucked in work/dress shirt?
    Btw, I do have the option of a non-tuck type of dress/casual button up shirt which I've been doing recently (because people at work are seeing my clips on my belt for my IWB).

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Gotcha
    Yes, I have a shield/apex too (and still love it), but recently switched to the 19 (for higher capacity and RD).
    Do u wear a tucked in work/dress shirt?
    Btw, I do have the option of a non-tuck type of dress/casual button up shirt which I've been doing recently (because people at work are seeing my clips on my belt for my IWB).

I just began strong side. I'm embarrassed to say it took so long to try it. And it's easier to hide than I had ever guessed. Plus you can draw seated without sweeping your nut sack. :rofl:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've been using a Raven Eidolon for years now and have tucked it multiple times. AIWB is great in a vehicle.

burrito1245

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Metairie, La
    I carry AIWB and it's not a problem being big and having a gut. I used to whear my pants where the bend in my body is, and that was way too low to carry AIWB. So I carried strong side 7 o'clock. Eventually got tired of sitting on the gun, and it snagging every chair with a armrest. So I eventually came up to the solution to hike my pants up a bit to my belly button and since then carrying appendix is alot easier. It dosent jab your legs, and is fast to draw from. Only downside I have found is make sure you have the right holster with a wedge to cant the bit of the gun towards you. It helps not print with the wedge/claw.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I carry AIWB and it's not a problem being big and having a gut. I used to whear my pants where the bend in my body is, and that was way too low to carry AIWB. So I carried strong side 7 o'clock. Eventually got tired of sitting on the gun, and it snagging every chair with a armrest. So I eventually came up to the solution to hike my pants up a bit to my belly button and since then carrying appendix is alot easier. It dosent jab your legs, and is fast to draw from. Only downside I have found is make sure you have the right holster with a wedge to cant the bit of the gun towards you. It helps not print with the wedge/claw.

Thanks for the comment/feedback.
    It is great to hear that it is possible to AIWB even if with a little cushion up front.

Will have to give the belt/belly button height option a whirl...
    Suppose I could start something like that even while staying at 7:00 for now.

One last thing...were you able to make AIWB work with tucking a shirt in?

burrito1245

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Metairie, La
    It is great to hear that it is possible to AIWB even if with a little cushion up front.

Sent from my iPhone using it

It can work if you don't mind having your gun exposed/showing. If you plan on concealing it with a tucked in shirt I'm not sure how that would work because the gun has to in some way be connected to your belt.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA

Sent from my iPhone using it

It can work if you don't mind having your gun exposed/showing. If you plan on concealing it with a tucked in shirt I'm not sure how that would work because the gun has to in some way be connected to your belt.

Yeah
    Understand.

Have been wearing more non-tuck (straight bottomed) button up shorts at work...so that wouldn't be an issue.

And yes, understand the belt/holster clip thing. I'm current using a IWB at 7:00 and it has 2 clips (black clips, black belt and try to wear dark pants...so it isn't too visible).

So I already tuck and it isn't an issue with the clips at 8:00 & 6:00...so don't think it would be wit clip(s) up front.

burrito1245

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Metairie, La
    Ok I gotcha yeah well try and see. You might end up printing a lot with that kind of holster. I feel like a old man whearing my pants at the correct hight now but it has a lot of benefits I've noticed over time, it helps support my back more because the belt is higher. Also it looks a lot better, not having baggy looking pants being short an all. There is this guy named Arston, he has a shop in harahan called urban preppers he makes custom kidex holster if you have something specific in mind. It's hard trying to find lefty holsters, especially if you carry appendix.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    I find that a Fobus holster is a viable option for in car carry for easy access. The holsters are inexpensive Kydex (specific to your firearm) and can either be clipped to the seatbelt or on the accessory floor mounting post. The holsters are under $30 if I recall and they are very rugged.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    AIWB is the best all-around option. I carry a G19 comfortably in an Off The Grid holster. Nice super minimal holster and it is also tuckable. If you're already having trouble with appendix carry, the Sidecar is not gonna make it any easier (pretty much the equivalent of shoving a spade shovel down your pants). Because of the simplicity of the OTG holster, on long car rides I simply remove the entire holster and stick it in a cup holder. If you're having to move your gun between holsters when you get in the car, you're exposing yourself to a ton of unneccesary risk. I'd buy a second gun for the car before I made that my solution.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    AIWB is the best all-around option. I carry a G19 comfortably in an Off The Grid holster. Nice super minimal holster and it is also tuckable. If you're already having trouble with appendix carry, the Sidecar is not gonna make it any easier (pretty much the equivalent of shoving a spade shovel down your pants). Because of the simplicity of the OTG holster, on long car rides I simply remove the entire holster and stick it in a cup holder. If you're having to move your gun between holsters when you get in the car, you're exposing yourself to a ton of unneccesary risk. I'd buy a second gun for the car before I made that my solution.

My head explodes when people say that the Side Car makes appendix carry easier lol
    Lucas Botkin needs to stick to playing dressup and stop making crappy gear.

Top Bottom