Hunting Question.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • veus00

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2014
    Iowa City, IA
    Hey Guys, i am always open to learn new this and gather up knowledge...i will appreciate your real life experience how to dull/hide or mask human scent while hunting.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I use body washes, laundry detergents, deodorants, & field sprays. I prefer the scentaway brand. Dead down wind is good too. And I use buck bombs for cover scents on my boots: either "doe p" or "doe in estrous". I have had dear follow my trail while using this process. Gator's right it is truly impossible, but every little bit helps IMO. You still have to play the wind as well. No matter how much stuff you use, if you have a bad wind you might as well not go. Sunday around 9am the wind turned on me, so I went creeping and did some scouting and found some more rubs & scrapes!

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I use body washes, laundry detergents, deodorants, & field sprays. I prefer the scentaway brand. Dead down wind is good too. And I use buck bombs for cover scents on my boots: either "doe p" or "doe in estrous". I have had dear follow my trail while using this process. Gator's right it is truly impossible, but every little bit helps IMO. You still have to play the wind as well. No matter how much stuff you use, if you have a bad wind you might as well not go. Sunday around 9am the wind turned on me, so I went creeping and did some scouting and found some more rubs & scrapes!

I've done the doe in rut on the boots... yeah it works.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I use dead down wind primarily as far as detergent/dryer sheets go. After washing I store my Hunting clothes in a duffle bag or plastic tub sealed with some pine branches in them or some pine cover scent. Also I use pine cover scent where i hunt as pine is the predominant tree in the area. Also during the rut I use a drag and estrous on the boots, otherwise i usually just spray cover scent on my boots before walking in. And the wind is your friend or enemy. Like someone said, if the wind is wrong youre just killing time.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I use dead down wind primarily as far as detergent/dryer sheets go. After washing I store my Hunting clothes in a duffle bag or plastic tub sealed with some pine branches in them or some pine cover scent. Also I use pine cover scent where i hunt as pine is the predominant tree in the area. Also during the rut I use a drag and estrous on the boots, otherwise i usually just spray cover scent on my boots before walking in. And the wind is your friend or enemy. Like someone said, if the wind is wrong youre just killing time.
    This is all good info

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I just noticed you're in Kansas. get a grunt call, and some rattling antlers. Rattles don't work down here, but you should be able to rattle one in up there.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have been successful rattling up a few bucks. No, it does not always work. But neither do many other tactics. One of the best bucks I have ever taken came to rattling. This was in St Helena Parish.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I have been successful rattling up a few bucks. No, it does not always work. But neither do many other tactics. One of the best bucks I have ever taken came to rattling. This was in St Helena Parish.

Interesting... Everything that I've ever heard or read said rattling was pointless down here. My lease is in St. Helena as well. I may have to invest a little time in playing around with the antlers I have.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    ivory soap unscented body soap I use it for my hair too for two days before hunting weekends
    ARM & HAMMER unscented Laundry Detergent,
    paper bag with pine straw for my boots. I put a little of arm and hammer baking soda inside my boots and spray cover scent on my boots before walking in.
    try not to touch any thing on the way in.
    wipe down your firearm with a clean rag the day before to leave as little oil as possible if you are lucky you will only need one shot anyway.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    Interesting... Everything that I've ever heard or read said rattling was pointless down here. My lease is in St. Helena as well. I may have to invest a little time in playing around with the antlers I have.

My lease is right west of Kentwood. I use a rattle bag and have had 2 bucks come in shortly after using it. Last year about 10 minutes after working the bag, had a 200 lb 9 point come in which is now hanging on my wall, and this year had 3 bucks come into the field after working the bag shortly before dusk. Took what looked to be the biggest which ended up being a 160 lb 6 point.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Hunt the wind. It's a lot easier and cheaper. If the wind is variable hunt a spot that you can get high up and shoot a decent distance. I don't use scent killers or scent covers. I do use a weather app and a map though and harvest a pretty good bit of deer ever year.

veus00

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2014
    Iowa City, IA
    ivory soap unscented body soap I use it for my hair too for two days before hunting weekends
    ARM & HAMMER unscented Laundry Detergent,
    paper bag with pine straw for my boots. I put a little of arm and hammer baking soda inside my boots and spray cover scent on my boots before walking in.
    try not to touch any thing on the way in.
    wipe down your firearm with a clean rag the day before to leave as little oil as possible if you are lucky you will only need one shot anyway.

has that been working for you?

Labadie

WFPD
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    BR
    Hunt the wind. It's a lot easier and cheaper. If the wind is variable hunt a spot that you can get high up and shoot a decent distance. I don't use scent killers or scent covers. I do use a weather app and a map though and harvest a pretty good bit of deer ever year.

What Ritten said.

Top Bottom