Cougars... The other kind

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    fada921bbc729adb76dbbfcba13a3f03.jpg

Y'all talking about cougars or panthers?

That's a good size cat. Where was that at? I was under the impression smoking one was a no no in Louisiana unless it was a threat. I say that with no authority and little confidence in the statement.

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    In Louisiana they are protected under state and federal law...not sure what the fines are but the restitution is $5k doing a quick Google search..that being said, there was a guy on bayoubucks.com
    That picked one up on his game camera. He posted the pics that were verified by a LADWF biologist who investigated the claim. It was on private property that borders the Thislethwaite WMA in St. Landry parish

Last edited:

captain-03

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Central Mississippi
    I saw a florida panther in the wild, 1989 hunting season. This occurred on a 1 square mile of untouched forest/big woods (school board land) we leased for hunting. I was still hunting a north/south path we cleared dead center of the forest and 2 does trotted across, then came the panther maybe 1 or 2 minutes behind the does. I was hunting with a 44 mag scoped handgun, the cat never detected me. It was awesome, a thrill to see the panther. I guesstimated its weight at 75 to 100 pounds.

This was in Dolorsa MS, 15 north up hwy 61 from Woodville. We also had approx 1000 acres of thick 10 year old cutover, had at least one bear that lived/roamed in the cutover. I spotted its tracks frequently while hunting the cutover, but never saw the bear.

Don't tell MS Game & Fish about this == they will have you committed as they swear there are NO panthers in Mississippi!!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Don't tell MS Game & Fish about this == they will have you committed as they swear there are NO panthers in Mississippi!!

It took them 20 years of 12 footers eating dogs in the Pearl and Ross Barnett before they decided maybe, just maybe the alligator population needs a little pressure.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

Panther, cougar, puma...whatever ya want to call it. I know what I saw in 1989, a long time ago. When I came home later, I described it to a guy I worked with who does a lot of taxidermy and Jay said it was a Florida panther. He also told me good thing I didn't shoot it, that they were federally protected.

Those big woods and the clear cut were loaded with game. I saw several bobcats and shot one one day out of boredom and had Jay mount it for me. I shot him low low in the chest walking towards me with a 1 oz 12 gauge slug......he was auto-gutted on the spot :)
    Best land I ever hunted. I like MS, for many reasons.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Not trying to sound like a snowflake , but what's the point of killing one? Especially in the middle of nowhere. Are you going to eat it ? No. What a waste. They do help keep the deer and hog pop down.

Humans in america have a long history of killing wildlife almost to the point of extinction. We almost wiped out the whitetail population by 1890. Ditto the american buffalo, slaughtered for hides. Mountain lions, cougars and wolves decimated. We hit the bears and ducks pretty hard too. If it were not for regulation and protection, many wild animals would be extinct in the USA. Same applies to our fisheries, if it were not for creel limits, regulation, and enforcement, we would have decimated many species.

http://marinebio.org/oceans/conservation/moyle/ch2-2/

There used to be millions of cypress trees 5 to 10' or better in base diameter in Louisiana.....try to find 500 today.

It's what men in the USA have done, hunt it, cut it, sell it, eat it, til its gone. Our history proves this. And we're not the only ones on the planet with this behavior by any means. The rain forests are being decimated at alarming rates. 18 million acres a year clear cut. Many wild species are fixing to disappear in Africa.

Humans are very very poor stewards of our planet. Many other examples out there. Wherever we go, we leave our trash and "mark" behind. Just a simple fact.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Not trying to sound like a snowflake , but what's the point of killing one? Especially in the middle of nowhere. Are you going to eat it ? No. What a waste. They do help keep the deer and hog pop down.

This would be one reason.
    cougar11.jpg

Also them keeping the deer population down would be another.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    fada921bbc729adb76dbbfcba13a3f03.jpg

Y'all talking about cougars or panthers?

Same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar
    The cougar (Puma concolor), also commonly known as the mountain lion, puma, panther, or catamount, is a large felid of the subfamily Felinae native to the Americas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_panther
    The Florida panther is an endangered subspecies of cougar (Puma concolor) that lives in forests and swamps of southern Florida in the United States.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

I suppose the only reason is taking the pressure off the other game. Unless of course you happened upon one he wasn't happy to see you or thought you were lunch.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

People actually do eat them. The benefit is to control the population so they don't wipe out the deer and livestock populations.

Top Bottom