Cougars... The other kind

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...a805-43fa6482ee7a.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

I found some tracks on the trail just behind my camp last year, and others guys have seen it hop across the pipeline. A lot of guys still don't believe they're down here. I'll see If I can find the pics I have of the track, I'll post them when I find them.

Anybody ever seen a cougar in the woods?

This is about the size of a softball.
    IMG_0349.jpg

This is about half the size of the first one.
    IMG_0528.jpg

Last edited:

JDaviz

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Hammond
    I've never personally seen one but I have a couple of family members, who are avid hunters, tell me that they have seen a cougar in the woods before. One of them I would have no reason to doubt the other would be one to tell an exaggerated story. lol I did find something that might be helpful with the pictures of the paw prints. http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I saw a florida panther in the wild, 1989 hunting season. This occurred on a 1 square mile of untouched forest/big woods (school board land) we leased for hunting. I was still hunting a north/south path we cleared dead center of the forest and 2 does trotted across, then came the panther maybe 1 or 2 minutes behind the does. I was hunting with a 44 mag scoped handgun, the cat never detected me. It was awesome, a thrill to see the panther. I guesstimated its weight at 75 to 100 pounds.

This was in Dolorsa MS, 15 north up hwy 61 from Woodville. We also had approx 1000 acres of thick 10 year old cutover, had at least one bear that lived/roamed in the cutover. I spotted its tracks frequently while hunting the cutover, but never saw the bear.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...a805-43fa6482ee7a.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

I found some tracks on the trail just behind my camp last year, and others guys have seen it hop across the pipeline. A lot of guys still don't believe they're down here. I'll see If I can find the pics I have of the track, I'll post them when I find them.

Anybody ever seen a cougar in the woods?

This is about the size of a softball.
    View attachment 67364

This is about half the size of the first one.
    View attachment 67365

The first picture could be a cougar but the second picture looks like a dog track. I have little doubt that there are some of the big cats in Louisiana. I have never personally seen one but I have found tracks on our hunting lease in Natchitoches Parish. My cousin has observed one from a box stand on that lease. Distance was 50 yards and he watched it for a couple of minutes. No question in his mind what he was looking at.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    The first picture could be a cougar but the second picture looks like a dog track. I have little doubt that there are some of the big cats in Louisiana. I have never personally seen one but I have found tracks on our hunting lease in Natchitoches Parish. My cousin has observed one from a box stand on that lease. Distance was 50 yards and he watched it for a couple of minutes. No question in his mind what he was looking at.

The first one I don't have much doubt about. It's bigger than my palm. I was kinda curious to get opinions on the second one.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Fanatic, if I show up in your backyard with White Wine & flowers, is that considered "Baiting the Field".
    I have actually seen a Mountain Lion in Hammond a long time ago.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Fanatic, if I show up in your backyard with White Wine & flowers, is that considered "Baiting the Field".
    I have actually seen a Mountain Lion in Hammond a long time ago.

If I read the rules correctly wine is off limits... It riles them up too much!

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Never saw a big cat around here other than a few really YUGE bobcats. Gives me the creeps when I can hear them circle behind me in the distance. Wonder how alike the tracks would be?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom