Which barrel should I use?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I am building a new rifle. I have a spikes gen2 billet upper and lower. ALG ACT trigger and a spikes buffer kit and CTR stock. Next up is to pick out a barrel. Would like a mid-length and keep it under $250 with the gas block. Any suggestions? I've built lowers but this is my first attempt at building an upper from the ground up. Thanks for any advice. Merry Christmas

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I used an Aero Precision barrel in that price range but for a 300 blackout, I'm extremely happy with it. For my next build I got a Ballistic Advantage .223 barrel, but haven't assembled it yet. I heard they make Aero's barrels and have an MOA guarantee, price was right too.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I have read that Faxon barrels are good quality for the price. Aim has them with the gas block. (Some out of stock) even kicking around a 18 inch rifle length has. Too many options.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I used an Aero Precision barrel in that price range but for a 300 blackout, I'm extremely happy with it. For my next build I got a Ballistic Advantage .223 barrel, but haven't assembled it yet. I heard they make Aero's barrels and have an MOA guarantee, price was right too.

This. Ballistic Advantage produces the barrels for Aero, so they are one in the same. Ballistic Advantage barrels are really, really nice for the money and in your price range.

My only other piece of advice would be to dump the Spikes buffer (assuming it's one of their "upgraded" T2 or whatever models), I've seen them cause way more problems than they've ever helped.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Stretch 16 has an intermediate gas position, they say it feels like a rifle length gas when you shoot it, I've heard nothing but good about this barrel, it's a 1-8 twist Wylde chamber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    This. Ballistic Advantage produces the barrels for Aero, so they are one in the same. Ballistic Advantage barrels are really, really nice for the money and in your price range.

My only other piece of advice would be to dump the Spikes buffer (assuming it's one of their "upgraded" T2 or whatever models), I've seen them cause way more problems than they've ever helped.

Thank for the ballistic advice. I have the T-2 buffers in all my rifles and even two pistols and have not had any issues. Hope it stays that way. Looks like aero bought a few companies. I'm now torn between aero and faxon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom