Case seperation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    While shooting today I hade a case failure. The rimmed base cleanly separated from the round and the bullet lodged 3/4 down the barrel. I was shooting an old marlin lever gun but it appears to be the ammo's fault. It did spook me as it blasted me in the face from the explosion but I was grateful it happened to me rather than the kids.
    This was a golden bullet and once we dislodged it from the barrel, the projectile does look misformed, but I don't remember anything abnormal when loading it. I had the casing base but lost it.
    I have had squib rounds and non firing rounds but have never seen one do this.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I had a lever gun in 38 special that would tear the base from the rest of the casing. Figured out the cause was a dirty chamber and the brass was sticking in the chamber. Never happened while firing. How far down the barrel was the brass, or was it in the chamber?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Brass was right there in the chamber. When I opened the bolt, the base fell out.
    This is a old gun but is regularly fired and maintained. After dislodging the bullet, we fired the gun a few more times with no issues.

La Rebel

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    The only time I ever had that happen was with reloaded ammo. The case had been reloaded too many times. The bullet didn't lodge in the barrel though.

Top Bottom