low light handgun class?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I'm thinking about taking a low light handgun class soon. For those who have done low light handgun training would you say it was worth it? Did you use hand held light, weapon mounted light OR combo of both?

jarredelectric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    I have not done training. My edc is a glock 19 with xs big dot tritium. My hd gun is a Taurus .45 and has a streamlight trl-2 hl green laser/light combo attached at the tail. I don't carry it since I haven't looked too much for a holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Never taken this type of class, would like to, as this gets more practical for HD. Don't use weapon mounted lights.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Never taken this type of class, would like to, as this gets more practical for HD. Don't use weapon mounted lights.

Wouldn't a handheld light used in conjunction with a weapon mounted light be ideal?

- - - Updated - - -

VATA has one on their schedule for June I believe. Considered it.

Thanks I will look into it.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    VATA has one on their schedule for June I believe. Considered it.

That class would be great but requires TACTICAL PISTOL and TACTICAL PISTOL LEVEL 1 so the low light "June" class is a no go for me.

I have lots of pre election ammo that I can use for classes so this year the wife and I have NO excuses!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You cannot just make a statement like this with out backing it up. Thats ridiculous.

I think he was saying HE doesn't use them, answering the OP's question.

Tattoo, you won't get much response because there's just not a ton of low light, civilian-centric classes around here. The couple I've seen in the last few years were more tailored to NV use. But, that doesn't mean it's not valuable training. I've done a little low light shooting, and adding light manipulation to an already stressful situation is definitely a challenge.

If you have trouble finding a class, there's no reason you can't add some light work to your dryfire routine. Also try some dry runs around the house to experience the effects of splashback and find the blindspots in your home.

As for weapon-mounted vs handheld, I definitely find weapon-mounted is ideal. Just try running some drills with a handheld and you'll quickly find it's limitations and added complications.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I think he was saying HE doesn't use them, answering the OP's question.

Tattoo, you won't get much response because there's just not a ton of low light, civilian-centric classes around here. The couple I've seen in the last few years were more tailored to NV use. But, that doesn't mean it's not valuable training. I've done a little low light shooting, and adding light manipulation to an already stressful situation is definitely a challenge.

If you have trouble finding a class, there's no reason you can't add some light work to your dryfire routine. Also try some dry runs around the house to experience the effects of splashback and find the blindspots in your home.

As for weapon-mounted vs handheld, I definitely find weapon-mounted is ideal. Just try running some drills with a handheld and you'll quickly find it's limitations and added complications.

Thanks for that advice. Looking back on years of carrying a handgun there were only two times I felt my gun may come out. One was while changing a flat tire some guy stopped to see if I needed help "was definitely sizing me up". The second time was a drunk guy being very aggressive asking for money in a gas station parking lot. Both times were low light "lots of shadows". Looking back I really feel low light is something I need to work on. Until I can get in a class I will incorporate some low light dry fire drills into my training as you suggest.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I don't have any experience taking any of the courses but I did want to chime in and say I think Bearco offers something like this at the very least he should be able to provide you with some input.

lottem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    I have taken VATAs Low Light Pistol class. It is well worth taking if you meet the prerequisites. VATA also offers a number of excellent classes if you meet the prerequisites. I was also impressed with BEARCOs Force on Force class.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I took a low-light class from Phobos Solutions and found it to be highly valuable. (Note: They want you to have had some other professional handgun training. CHP class is not really enough. If you have not had anything like that, I would highly recommend that you get that under your belt first, then work in other skills like flashlights, etc.)
    We used handheld and weapon mounted lights and learned techniques for both. The biggest thing I learned (other than the techniques themselves) is that I shoot much better with some techniques than others. It is good to find out which work for you and which do not. I shot best (by far) when employing the mounted light as opposed to any handheld technique. Since taking that class, I now carry a weapon with a mounted light every day.

flyperk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Lafayette, La
    We had a structured curriculum for low light and night time tactical weapons application we taught to law enforcement and and a "lesser" one we taught to advanced civilian students. The prerequisites are important for all, you can imagine all the interesting events that would take place with beginners and low illumination scenarios.
    I took an FBI course as a law enforcement instructor that was fantastic. Even with the high skill set that most of us possessed there was still one unwanted AD that occurred resulting in a very scary moment or so.....
    I believe if you find the proper course for your needs, you will truly enjoy and identify areas that will need work. The class will make you aware of weak areas and teach you the proper way to manage your tools during the applications. Improving those will need constant work after the course.
    I am not familiar with those taught here in this area I'm from Fort Worth, Texas and am "semi-retired" (whatever that means!!!).
    Hope you find the proper course for you, if you do please post. I really enjoyed taking some of those training programs.
    Stay safe!!!!

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    IMHO the best low light pistol class is Craig Douglas's (ShivWorks) AMIS.

Manipulating a light is really easy and can be practiced dry firing at the house. But with AMIS you're working to solve problems and learning how to hunt with the handgun with light attachment. You're also learning why having a handheld to work in conjunction is so valuable. Working the light is only a micro part of night time shooting.

I guess range time with the light could be valuable and I'm not discounting that, however I see more validity in the type of FoF instruction that Craig offers.

The atmosphere in using the light in different methods when and going between a shooting problem and a non shooting problem are invaluable in my opinion.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Chris is absolutely right. AMIS is the best low light class I have taken. Eye and mind opening. You finish the class mentally exhausted but with a ton of information to think and analyze for the next few days. PHOBOS has a night hand gun glass that I also found useful. I would recommend Lewis and Nick. Great instructors.

As for light use, I used both but found myself now using the handheld more than the pistol mounted light. AMIS opened my eyes to what I did not know.

IMHO the best low light pistol class is Craig Douglas's (ShivWorks) AMIS.

Manipulating a light is really easy and can be practiced dry firing at the house. But with AMIS you're working to solve problems and learning how to hunt with the handgun with light attachment. You're also learning why having a handheld to work in conjunction is so valuable. Working the light is only a micro part of night time shooting.

I guess range time with the light could be valuable and I'm not discounting that, however I see more validity in the type of FoF instruction that Craig offers.

The atmosphere in using the light in different methods when and going between a shooting problem and a non shooting problem are invaluable in my opinion.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    I'm thinking about taking a low light handgun class soon. For those who have done low light handgun training would you say it was worth it? Did you use hand held light, weapon mounted light OR combo of both?

Let me pose the question this way....

If you were to take a low light/no-light course, what would you hope to gain?

What knowledge or skill set would you hope to gain?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom