Which HK ???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Good morning everyone,

I have been eyeing different H&K's for a long time. I would like either a 9mm or a 45 and Black/FDE/etc. doesn't really matter to me. The P30 sk, full size and "L" models look really nice. I have always been a fan of the USP models and the HK 45 models are really nice. The VP series is at a better price point, but is it worth the purchase or should I pay a bit extra for a "better model"?

This is an open discussion, and I would like everyone's thoughts and preferences and WHY. If you own HK, I would prefer your opinion over people who just regurgitate what they quickly google (just to look cool or seem "smart" online). Pictures are always welcome.

So, let me know what you think....

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been rocking different versions of the USP for nearly 2 decades. My current favorites are USP 45 and USP45C with LEM triggers. Accuracy and reliability go without saying. LEM trigger makes all the difference and keeps them in the game compared to more "modern" offerings. A wise man who used to post here once said, "I'm a gun guy and I like HKs because the are nice. Yeah they cost more, but they are nice and I like them"....or something along those lines.

What is the intended caliber and use?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Of all my HK's, I think I like my USP SD the most. I own both USP45's in tactical and compact tactical, SD, 9mm compact, P30, VP9, and VP9t. I previously owned the p7 and hk45CT also.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have owned VP9's since they became available and like their striker fired triggers and I am a long time Glock shooter.

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    I love the HK45. Easy to shoot and fits my hands well. I shot IDPA matches with a p30 and p30L (both in 40). The VP9 is cheaper, a great gun, but I still prefer a hammer (personal preference). This is my p30 when I was still refining the match weight for it.
    dirty.jpg

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ideally, for a concealed carry gun, I like the P2000 LEM. If you get the version with the heavier Trigger Return Spring the swap out the firing pin block spring for the lighter/weaker one I find that pistol to be VERY shootable, even at speed.

The P2000 is ever so slightly smaller than the P30 so it conceals just a little bit better.

If however, you need the slight increase in stock length the P30 LEM set up the same way (TR & FPB springs) is a difficult to beat package.

The VP9 is a remarkable pistol. Probably* the best 9mm on the market today. It's easy to shoot well with. Hard to go wrong with it, either.

Ultimately, it's your call as you already know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I want to stay in the 9mm and 45 calibers. I'm sure I will want a full size, compact and a long slide version. I'm guessing the most popular version is the V1 LEM... is that accurate? The P30 and USP have caught my eye for the 9mm and the HK45 and HK45CT has caught the other eye for 45, although I am not opposed to having a USP.

If I went the route of 45 caliber, the HK45 and USP are the forerunners. But, which USP stands out the most? The Match, Expert, MK23, regular USP or go into a compact?

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I love the HK45. Easy to shoot and fits my hands well. I shot IDPA matches with a p30 and p30L (both in 40). The VP9 is cheaper, a great gun, but I still prefer a hammer (personal preference). This is my p30 when I was still refining the match weight for it.
    dirty.jpg

I really like your setup! I'd probably go with a 9mm version, but I like the match look to yours.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've been rocking different versions of the USP for nearly 2 decades. My current favorites are USP 45 and USP45C with LEM triggers. Accuracy and reliability go without saying. LEM trigger makes all the difference and keeps them in the game compared to more "modern" offerings. A wise man who used to post here once said, "I'm a gun guy and I like HKs because the are nice. Yeah they cost more, but they are nice and I like them"....or something along those lines.

What is the intended caliber and use?

Do you like the LEM (I think it's the V1 if I'm not mistaken) better than the others in your experience? Why?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My VP9 LE came with 3 mags and nite sights. So to me it was worth the extra cash. And a great trigger out the box. And I hate stock factory striker triggers. To me it was like having everything a Glock has, but with swap-able grip panels and a better trigger put the box.
    A monkey could do a brake down and clean on it.

Last edited:

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Do you like the LEM (I think it's the V1 if I'm not mistaken) better than the others in your experience? Why?

Many folks like the LEM better than the V1 config. I happen to be one of those. Some people hate them and sell them to people like me. The V1 config double action pull is long and heavy. The single action is decent. The LEM (light or heavy) is light enough, consistent and usable for me. LEM has a decent reset too.

So you haven't answered the question on intended use of said .45? HK45C to Mk23 is wiiiiiiiide range. They are all nice guns, but are geared for different things.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The MK23 is the best .45 range toy I have ever owned. My USP45T is also fun to shoot and has a better trigger. I take my P30, P2000SK, and VP9 to the range often. Of those three 9mm workhorses the VP9 is the most fun to shoot for me. My Wife loves the VP9 so much that she has her own.
    The P2000SK and P30SK are both great carry guns. Both are easy and fun to shoot. They both have the duel recoil spring guides which reduce recoil greatly. The sweet shooting nature of both guns has earned them the nickname "sweet SK."

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    P7 for the win. I have been carrying mine for about 6 months so far in a RCS Phantom iwb rig. Its the perfect self defense pistol. It has probably the lowest bore axis made for a semi auto 9mm, lighter on recoil due do the retarded gas piston system, and is arguably one of the most accurate production pistols to have ever been produced because of the fixed barrel and polygonal rifling. It has a perfectly ergonomic grip angle to match a natural point of aim...its either cocked or not with the squeeze of the grip and also single or double action the same sense in a weird kinda way....I can go on and on!

8U2LytS.jpg

hk_never_really_marketed_the_gun_right_who_wants_to_buy_the_worlds_most_expensive_gun.jpg

Last edited:

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Many folks like the LEM better than the V1 config. I happen to be one of those. Some people hate them and sell them to people like me. The V1 config double action pull is long and heavy. The single action is decent. The LEM (light or heavy) is light enough, consistent and usable for me. LEM has a decent reset too.

So you haven't answered the question on intended use of said .45? HK45C to Mk23 is wiiiiiiiide range. They are all nice guns, but are geared for different things.

I guess to answer your question: I am not sure of the ideal use, because I already have a designated gun for each desired use. I just want to dip into the HK pool and swim. I'd like to own one both 45 and 9mm in the future and compact version for the 45 as well as a full size. The 9mm is the harder one to decide on with VP9, P30 models and USP models.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The MK23 is the best .45 range toy I have ever owned. My USP45T is also fun to shoot and has a better trigger. I take my P30, P2000SK, and VP9 to the range often. Of those three 9mm workhorses the VP9 is the most fun to shoot for me. My Wife loves the VP9 so much that she has her own.
    The P2000SK and P30SK are both great carry guns. Both are easy and fun to shoot. They both have the duel recoil spring guides which reduce recoil greatly. The sweet shooting nature of both guns has earned them the nickname "sweet SK."

My wife already has her G17 & G19 Larry Viker's special edition Glocks and wants her own suppressor and precision rifle. I'm thinking after shooting an HK she'll want one of those as well. So, I may let her shoot a VP9 along side a P30 (whether SK or another) and see what she likes best. Then, I will have an excuse to buy myself a more expensive HK.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I guess to answer your question: I am not sure of the ideal use, because I already have a designated gun for each desired use. I just want to dip into the HK pool and swim. I'd like to own one both 45 and 9mm in the future and compact version for the 45 as well as a full size. The 9mm is the harder one to decide on with VP9, P30 models and USP models.
    Well it is easy then. Get a MK23 for suppressed .45 shooting (haven't handled one--but I'm sure it lives up), get a USP 45Cor HK45C with LEM (or V1) to rotate with a P7 (love my P7 too--everything RCM says and then some) for carry. Take your pick where to dip your toe in. The pool membership ain't cheap.

Other than the P7, the HKs aren't exactly revolutionary, but they are nice. I bought my first one because I thought "they were awesome" and have stuck with them because they have proven to be nice, accurate, and reliable. The only clunker, and they feel and shoot great, is the HK45 full size 10 rd capacity. Weird.

neophyte

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Shreveport Louisana
    I have a p30sk I carry. It is a nice little gun. reliable and the 9mm offers a light recoil in a subcompact. It has the double single action which I like in a carry as well. feels very much like a full size gun in the hands except my pinky hangs off.

I also have a vp9. Its a different gun altogether. Its a large striker fire with a light trigger. its a great range gun, I dont know that I would want to carry it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a p30sk I carry. It is a nice little gun. reliable and the 9mm offers a light recoil in a subcompact. It has the double single action which I like in a carry as well. feels very much like a full size gun in the hands except my pinky hangs off.

I also have a vp9. Its a different gun altogether. Its a large striker fire with a light trigger. its a great range gun, I dont know that I would want to carry it.

I have never seen a factory Hk pistol with what I would consider a light trigger pull.

neophyte

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Shreveport Louisana
    I have never seen a factory Hk pistol with what I would consider a light trigger pull.

Then we have a different opinion on light. but I notice that glock in your profile pic. I can tell you that a stock glock trigger is no where near what a factory hk trigger is, I can only assume you are comparing it to a single action trigger.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom