Question for parents of teenagers and leo'sUPDATED

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I'm pretty sure my 13 year son has been chatting with a predator in a teenagers gaming chat room. Some of the things I just read were very disturbing. When this person asked certain things and made certain comments, it freaked my son out. He brought his phone to me to read the messages I freaked out. I will not comment on my initial thoughts of what I would do to this person.

Moral/legal/parental advice needed.

I have enough to call the police.
    I could just block my son from these gaming community chat rooms.
    I could block this other user and have my son create a new user name.

My issue is, if I call police it will put my son through some very disturbing questioning. He is 13 and has asbergers.
    I really want to lock him in his bedroom with no Internet for 20 years and go have a chat with the other person. But I know me and my temper when it comes to my family.

So, please give me some advice, moral and legal

Update....

Reported to local sheriff office. They have my sons phone as evidence for now. Detective has already called me. He wants to touch base after new years. I'm good. Thanks for the help everyone. Especially the help from Slidell and covington. Son is finally in bed asleep. Has a brand new 10/22 waiting on him. I found out tonight he is smarter and braver than I knew. I was upset cause I couldn't protect him from this. He gave me a big hug and told me it wasn't my fault. And then said "See, I told you I listen to you even when you think I dont"

They caught the guy. 71 year old man in holden. Had pics of my son from facebook. Had our old address and my sons cell number. Detective said we would not have to go to court. It's a done deal. Ponchatoula sheriff office is awesome.

Last edited:

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Sorry to hear OP...this is scary stuff for sure.

I'm not really sure how involved your son would need to be, since you have evidence already of the misconduct.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I'm hoping for off the record advice from a LEO here. If I call a deputy to my house and ask questions, then the deputy has to report it. I need to know how involved my son will have to be before I deceide. And I'm trying to get his thearipist on the phone for advice.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Check out all avenues that protects your son the best and then proceed with what you think is best for your son and your family.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Unfortunately a lot of the LEO Seem to be absent due to the recent drama. I hope one will see this and give some sound advise. If you truly think that there were sexually inappropriate things from this person, you should bring it to the police. It is likely more than your son involved, and you could prevent harm to others. Re-assure your son that he did the right thing.

I would not ban him from the internet, when things seemed fishy to him, he brought it to your attention. Seems he passed the ultimate test, and it says a lot about his trust in you. I would not punish him for doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    unfortunately a lot of the leo seem to be absent due to the recent drama. I hope one will see this and give some sound advise. If you truly think that there were sexually inappropriate things from this person, you should bring it to the police. It is likely more than your son involved, and you could prevent harm to others. Re-assure your son that he did the right thing.

I would not ban him from the internet, when things seemed fishy to him, he brought it to your attention. Seems he passed the ultimate test, and it says a lot about his trust in you. I would not punish him for doing the right thing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This!
    +1000

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Yes, I praised him and thanked him for showing me. I praised his judgment for not replying anymore.
    I just Google searched "steam chat sexuality predaters" OMG... there is a good read on the reddit site

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Call your local police or sheriff sex crime or cyber crime unit directly. Tell them what you have and they can explain everything in detail. Just calling dispatch and having a unit sent to your house will only result in him forwarding it to one of the detectives anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Unfortunately a lot of the LEO Seem to be absent due to the recent drama. I hope one will see this and give some sound advise. If you truly think that there were sexually inappropriate things from this person, you should bring it to the police. It is likely more than your son involved, and you could prevent harm to others. Re-assure your son that he did the right thing.

No need for you to struggle with this because some members are ****ing idiots.

https://report.cybertip.org

You can leave an anonymous tip here with all of the suspected predators information and it will be referred to the Attorney Generals Cycer Crime/ICAC unit for investigation. Be as detailed as possible and provide EVERYTHING you know or have about the suspect. Accounts, phone numbers, email, all that is important.

Plenty more info here: http://www.missingkids.com/home

And here:https://www.icactaskforce.org

There should be no real need to interview your son, but save the messages or upload them with the report so we will get them. You will probably never hear from the guys but I can guarantee the best in the business will be working on it and if there is ANYTHING they can arrest for, they will. LA has the best ICAC unit in the country. That's no-**** non-biased fact, not just me saying **** cause I'm a member of the TF. The SSA is a personal friend, as are several of his guys. The truly are doing the lords work.

Email me if you need more help and I'll do whatever I can to help you and your son.

Logging back out.....

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    No need for you to struggle with this because some members are ****ing idiots.

https://report.cybertip.org

You can leave an anonymous tip here with all of the suspected predators information and it will be referred to the Attorney Generals Cycer Crime/ICAC unit for investigation. Be as detailed as possible and provide EVERYTHING you know or have about the suspect. Accounts, phone numbers, email, all that is important.

Plenty more info here: http://www.missingkids.com/home

And here:https://www.icactaskforce.org

There should be no real need to interview your son, but save the messages or upload them with the report so we will get them. You will probably never hear from the guys but I can guarantee the best in the business will be working on it and if there is ANYTHING they can arrest for, they will. LA has the best ICAC unit in the country. That's no-**** non-biased fact, not just me saying **** cause I'm a member of the TF. The SSA is a personal friend, as are several of his guys. The truly are doing the lords work.

Email me if you need more help and I'll do whatever I can to help you and your son.

Logging back out.....

Can't find a better response than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    You did something right because he brought the phone to you; pat yourself on the back! Praise him for bringing you the phone, make sure he knows he did the right thing and, you always have his back; foster that trust. Not friend trust but parent trust. I'm an IT person and it was a struggle for me to figure out the right balance of computer access. They need enough to develop but not enough to get them into trouble. As preteens and early teens I was sure to tell them they had no right to privacy and a it was an earned privilege. I had very straight forward conversations with them about sexual predators and they're tactics. I explained they were not to disclose any personal information about themselves to include pictures unless they had met that person and shook their hand. If they wanted a user account and password to something new I had to set it up. I regularly inspected their phones, gaming devices, and computers, and they lost them if I found a user account I didn't set up. This was a matter of routine from day one so they really didn't question it; and it helps keeping viruses down. As they got to their mid and later teens I loosened up a bit. When they were Juniors and Seniors I really didn't need to say too much...if they had a problem they came to me. My kids have always had a GPS tracker on their phones. My daughter is 23 and just graduated college and her boyfriend has opted into our family GPS tracking. Checkout Life360...it's free and works on Androids and iPhones. Every kid is different. Good luck! https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-report-online-predators

Last edited:

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I am a federal LEO.
    Depending on what the context of the chat messages are depends on what you can do legally.

You did not add detail on what was said but I'm assuming they are pretty serious. The thing about Internet or gaming communities are, that this person is probably not local , and could be overseas which you pretty much cannot do much. Also even if someone said something vile or sexuality related to your son, the only time serious charges can be brought up is if the person wanted to meet your son, set up a location and was caught doing such. Or is soliciting the sexuality acts of a minor. Simply saying vile content on the Internet to someone is not going to draw the ire of a local police department.

I'd suggest your son disengage communication on that community.

Like I said more detail would be needed to see WHT options you have. Without that it's all speculation..

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Reward the kid. He did the right thing. Don't punish him for it!

Call the cops. Let them set up a meet. He can make new friends in jail...

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    He is being rewarded with a 10/22 bought from a member here today. I was gonna sit on it but he will get it tomorrow morning after I put glass on it. I'm so proud of him. I'm pissed at myself for not protecting him.

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    Sorry to hear of this situation and hope the best regarding your side, in general and relating to this matter.

I feel for you and your son but I believe you have a moral obligation to get this perp "off the grid", as it were. As it is very, very likely this is occurring across state lines, if not cross national borders, it may be best to contact the FBI.

Note that they, among other law enforcement agencies, have anonymous hotlines. Use it.

Alternate would be to contact either a lawyer or child advocacy group, and have them raise the issue with law enforcement, thereby keeping your son out of it for as long as possible.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Persecutor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Denham Springs, La
    You did the right thing. There are special procedures set up if it is necessary to interview your son. He is what we refer to as a "protected person" and his interview is recorded to prevent the need for multiple questioning by multiple people. It's done by one trained professional and it is confidential!! Be proud of him! And the fact that he came to you with this shows you are raising him right and he trusts you.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Sorry to hear this. No father should have to deal with this. You are doing the right thing in getting the authorities involved. Who knows who else this perv is going after, or what he has/can do in the future. Best to do whatever possible to get the book thrown at this guy. Prayers for you and your family.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom