Help me find a spinning reel...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    I just recently got into fishing and purchased a
    [h=2]No.8 Tackle Co. BlackOut Spin Rod 7' Medium[/h]Fast, 6-12lb weight line, 3/16-5/8oz lure weight, 8+ guides, 14" handle

I am currently looking at a Pflueger President, however, I do not know what size would be best?
    Also looking for other recommendations.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know how they number the reels but in the Shimano line you would use the 2000-4000 series reel. The sizes vary from mfg to mfg but basically they all make a ultra light, light, medium and heavy duty series. You would need the medium in the line you are looking at. What are you fishing for ?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I bought 2 of the Shimano Spirex 2500RG reels and have been very disappointed in them. I've used their older line of Spirex reels the 2000FB and they were wonderful, the 2500RG feels like I'm reeling in an anchor when I only have a small fish. I do like the QUickfire II autocast feature and will never own another reel without that. I wished Shimano put this on their high end reels.....

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Go with the 2500. Paired with the 7 foot rod and you will handle just about any of the species in these bodies of water. The only exception is if you are going to be targeting redfish most of the time, then I would go with the 3000. I chase the fish you are after after and the 2500 series smoked a lot of fish including some whopper size redfish.

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    Go with the 2500. Paired with the 7 foot rod and you will handle just about any of the species in these bodies of water. The only exception is if you are going to be targeting redfish most of the time, then I would go with the 3000. I chase the fish you are after after and the 2500 series smoked a lot of fish including some whopper size redfish.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Nobody makes reels like they used to. I have been using Penn for the last couple of years and I get some good ones and some bad ones. The High end will hold up better then the low end. Penn Battle II is a good mid range reel for the money. Recently I acquired a few of the Penn Pursuit II's, this is the cheapest reel that Penn makes and I find it holds up fairly decent. I use it till it malfunctions and then discard and replace. I tend to buy the 4000 because i am fishing bull reds quite often. To be fair I do get discounts on many brands of reels and always return to Penn. Professional Sports will repair most brands within a year of purchase, but i find once they are repaired they won't last long, thats why i have went to the least expensive and just discard them.

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    I actually came back to say that I'm going with the Penn Battle II 2500 rather than Fierce II.

Top Bottom