RDS what am I doing wrong?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Ok I have a trs-25 and a Holosun HS403, I'm left eye dominant, and when I line up my eye on both optics I will see a little bit of a halo/crescent to the top right of the dot. Wut is wrong? Are my eyes just a little derpy? Does anyone else see wierd stuff in their rds? Am I just holding my mouth wrong or what?

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Make the dot not as bright. When it's too bright it can look like a burst. Also you may have an astigmatism in which crips lines aren't, so your dot may look bigger or in my case look like it has a tail.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Make the dot not as bright. When it's too bright it can look like a burst. Also you may have an astigmatism in which crips lines aren't, so your dot may look bigger or in my case look like it has a tail.

Ok yes that I was noticing too. When I need it to be bright like on a sunny day will the burst show back up?

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I am going to say astigmatism. Sucks, my last eye exam has both eyes with it now. How about trying one with something other than a dot? Like a crosshair or triangle.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Couple things...look at the dot and turn the optic. If the flaw turns with the optic, it's a problem with the optic. If it looks the same regardless of the orientation, it's an eye problem.

Like others have said, try both eyes open. And look "past" the dot. Unlike a scope, you want to focus your eyes on the target, not the dot.

All that said, if you're still having issues, you probably have an astigmatism like I do. The dots are still very much usable though. I find it helps to only have it as bright as it needs to be, and I prefer smaller sized dots since I get some bloom due to my vision problems. Basically, a 2MOA dot looks like a 4MOA, etc. So a smaller dot works much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Another way to tell is to take a picture of the dot. It will show up perfect more than likely. Sounds like you have an astigmatism, I feel your pain. Eotech was the worst for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Yeah it's definitely in my eyes. In both. It seems lowering the power helps with the holosun greatly but the trs-25 seems to be more intense even on the lowest setting. Both sights benefit greatly from keeping both eyes open. It seems I'm in good company with my crappy eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom