Reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Man thanks a lot guys. There is so much good info here. I was watching YouTube earlier and this guy was carefully tediously measuring so some the digital powder measuring device would be a must, cause I ain't doing that.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I load my match ammo on a Dillon 650, as fast as I can get it done and it still turns out awesome grouping ammo! 223/69 gr SMK. The point is that a progressive press can crank out match grade ammo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I'm not loading Grendel or 300 Blk, but I have been reloading my own ammo since 1982.
    I load 9mm, 38/357, 45ACP, 45Colt, 223, 308, 458SOCOM.
    Pistol ammo can be processed at less than 1/2 the cost of factory ammo if using purchased cast bullets, casting your own cuts the cost considerably but adds greatly to the time/round. I have cast my bullets in the past, but that's not really my thing. I have all the equipment and supplies to continue if there becomes any type of shortage. Pistol brass cost shouldn't be added, you will lose more than you will wear out.
    223 and 308 if using jacketed bullets, costs about 1/2 factory.
    Now for the 458, factory ammo is in the $2.50-3.50 each range. I can load purchased cast bullets for about 48-55 cents each. These cases should be able to be reused 12-15 times.
    I am loading on a Rock Chucker single stage press, and yes it takes time. I do the process in stages, usually finishing up 1 or 2 hundred when my stock gets low. No fancy digital powder measuring device in use here, I find the standard old powder measure is accurate enough for my needs.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I got back into reloading to load 45-60 Winchester. At over $50 per 20 rounds of commercially loaded 45-60, my savings is pretty significant. There was no way I could have afforded to shoot that caliber without reloading for it. Now I'm loading most of my practice and hunting ammo for several pistol and rifle cartridges as well

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Definite cost savings and the ability to make sure you have ammo for your firearm if it's an oddball caliber.
    I load for 250 Savage, 300 Savage, 308 Marlin Express, 327 Federal Magnum, and 450 Bushmaster in the oddball department.
    500 S&W, 460 S&W, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 458 Socom, 50 AE, 50 Beouwulf, etc. are all high priced factory rounds that can be loaded a lot cheaper. Lots of other high priced rifle rounds like the 300 Ultra mags, 338 Lapua, etc.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Yesterday afternoon I went into academy to buy some Grendel and I was lucky to find one box, earlier this week the other academy had none. So, I walk around to the other side of the ammo aisle and notice a Lee 50th Anniversary kit for $150 bucks. Long story short the impulse buy got me. I was thinking if it sucked I would just return it. So I guess I'm gonna try my hand at handloading.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Yesterday afternoon I went into academy to buy some Grendel and I was lucky to find one box, earlier this week the other academy had none. So, I walk around to the other side of the ammo aisle and notice a Lee 50th Anniversary kit for $150 bucks. Long story short the impulse buy got me. I was thinking if it sucked I would just return it. So I guess I'm gonna try my hand at handloading.

I hope that kit doesn't give you a sour taste for reloading. If you find it will work for you make sure you keep your cases lubed up real well, otherwise you may feel like your going to break that press in half on large rifle case.
    At least you made the leap though.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I started with a Lee Breachlock Kit. Still use the press. Love it for smaller calibers.
    It'll do the larger calibers, but it's easier on a press with more mass.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I think it's the responsibility of all of us, to know how to reload. If the excrement ever did hit the fan Academy will probably be closed. Having some basic equipment is like having a generator for hurricanes.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I have limited experience loading .300 blk out.

Are you loading subsonics?

I'm sure the Lee Perfect Powder Measure would toss H-110 pretty good.

Last edited:

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    We started with pistol ammo on the old Lyman 310 tool.
    For those that don't know, it's a handheld device that looks kinda like a nutcracker.
    And you guys call a single stage press slow.
    Still have 2 of them with dies. Could be pretty handy for a SHTF/prepper situation.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Used to ge a gaggle of geezers that would show up at Honey Island every weekend with copies of Sharps rifles in .45/70.
    They'd bring a few pieces of brass, and a Lee Loader, (Whack-A-Mole). They'd adjust their loads for conditions, and never touch their sights.
    They knew their stuff with those loads.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I hope that kit doesn't give you a sour taste for reloading. If you find it will work for you make sure you keep your cases lubed up real well, otherwise you may feel like your going to break that press in half on large rifle case.
    At least you made the leap though.

Roger that I'm pretty patient when working cheaper tools. The low cost of entry was hard to pass on. From what I watched on line, the part I will likely dislike is using the powder thrower and trickler.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have limited experience loading .300 blk out.

Are you loading subsonics?

I'm sure the Lee Perfect Powder Measure would toss H-110 pretty good.

Yeah that is my plan. I may load some supers for grins, but good subs are outrageous. I'm interested in making or buying custom bullets.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Yeah that is my plan. I may load some supers for grins, but good subs are outrageous. I'm interested in making or buying custom bullets.

I am an avid reloader, but do very little in rifle calibers.

Your powder measure is not going to meter well with rod type rifle powders. Spherical Ball powders are going to probably measure best, followed by flake.

You've already stated that you don't want to have to measure each powder charge, so you'll have to find a powder that meters well in your Lee Perfect.

I'm sure H110 / W296 will measure well for your .300 black out rounds. (I think that's what I use. It's raining and cold so I'm not going out to my ballistic laboratory to look at my load diary)

People are using Trail Boss to load .308 Subsonic I think, but I have no experience with that caliber.

Edit to add:
    You can trust that little Lee Scale, but it's very slow. It takes forever to stop moving.
    Upgrade to a good Ohaus when you can.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I am an avid reloader, but do very little in rifle calibers.

Your powder measure is not going to meter well with rod type rifle powders. Spherical Ball powders are going to probably measure best, followed by flake.

You've already stated that you don't want to have to measure each powder charge, so you'll have to find a powder that meters well in your Lee Perfect.

I'm sure H110 / W296 will measure well for your .300 black out rounds. (I think that's what I use. It's raining and cold so I'm not going out to my ballistic laboratory to look at my load diary)

People are using Trail Boss to load .308 Subsonic I think, but I have no experience with that caliber.

Edit to add:
    You can trust that little Lee Scale, but it's very slow. It takes forever to stop moving.
    Upgrade to a good Ohaus when you can.

What bullets have you tried in 300blk? I hear the 200+ grain jacketed bullets tend to not deform well due to the construction and the subsonic speed. It makes sense.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    What bullets have you tried in 300blk? I hear the 200+ grain jacketed bullets tend to not deform well due to the construction and the subsonic speed. It makes sense.

I'm using 220 gr Sierra HPBT over 9.9 gr of H-110. My notes indicate that I'll get a bit better accuracy if I push them a little faster.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So far what Brass, Bullets, and Powders do you own?

So far some spent brass in 6.5 Grendel (20ish), a handful of 300blk, a few 30-06. Some Winchester 209's and some Hodgen Powderex rs from when I used to hunt with my muzzleloader (very old).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom