Bad lot of Hornady 17 HMR ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Did a little bit of shooting with the HMR, had several neck splits that were very difficult to extract. They were split from the case mouth down about 3/16" below the shoulder. Checked some of the live rounds & half have cracked necks. I just inspected two sealed boxes, had 51 OK rounds & 49 with cracks. I have 20 boxes of this lot, ouch! Lot # J18J03, Hornady 17 grain V-Max.

I emailed Hornady customer service, waiting to see what their response will be.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I am interested to see how they resolve this issue. I have always been fond of their products. I've shot sst for years in my 30-06 and have always been pleased with the quality they are one of the few ammunition manufacturers making 6.5 Grendel also.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Lately I have had this issue also. I bought my Marlin 917VS rifle about 6 years ago. Shortly after bought 5 boxes of 17-gr Hornady. A month ago started to have a few failure to extract issues, but cases flipped out easily with tip of pocket knife. Today was shooting this rifle again, had 3 of these failures. Looked closely, yes, cracked neck on brass. Still shot tight groups, and ejected with knife point. I am on the 3rd box of the 5 (yeah, I shoot it sparingly) so maybe just this box is bad. Will be interested to see what your outcome is.

Top Bottom