My youngest first deer.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Dec 29th around 2:30 I got a text on my phone from my camera that there was a deer was in the plot.
    Thinking that they may be moving a little early I got the boys and wife loaded up and headed to our stands.
    As we round the corner I see the deer at the edge of the plot and it hops off in to the woods.
    I tell him that the deer was in the plot and it will probably be back in there soon if we be quiet.
    I get him situated and let him shoulder the gun to make sure all is good we then go over what to do when the deer comes back.
    Around 2 hours later the deer enters the plot directly in front of us (70 yds.) He cannot see the deer because of a few big trees in front of us.
    After a few minutes the deer moves to our right where he can see it. I get the gun up and dial the magnification up so he can watch it.
    It feed for 15-20 mins in the back of the plot and then starts feeding closer to the stand.
    All this time I am talking to him about what to do on when he gets ready to shoot.
    The deer gets broad side about 40 yards from us and I give him the green light.
    As I am telling him to pick a small spot and slowly squeeze the trigger Bam he lets one loose.
    The deer hunches and tucks it tail running out of the plot. I told him that he hit it but I don’t know how good. ( I think he picked his head off the gun after the shot)
    He is pumped and wants to go look. We give it a few minutes and then get down.
    Where the deer was standing I cannot find any blood. We work our way to the wood line where I find a little blood.
    We trailed it about another 30 yards and find it. He lets out a WOOHOO WE GOT SOME BREAKFAST SAUSAGE!!!!!
    Very proud of my boy on his first deer.
    Shot with a 16" 300blkout ar15 110 gr Barnes Blacktip
    A.jpg
    IMG_6521.JPG

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Congrats young fella! I was 30 before I got my first one, he's on the right track!

Those 110gr Barnes easily do the trick, but they don't bleed much I've noticed. And text messaging cameras?! I need those for the early mornings after late nights at the camp drinking... I mean bible study... phone buzzes, wake up, shoot!

Last edited:

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    i hear ya topgunz1.
    The only deer i have shot with dropped in its tracks. I am waiting for them to get a good shot on one and see what it does (blood trail wise) it is my boys first year hunting and the nerves are on a roll!! LOL
    My property is in Miss so i like to see what they are doing when i am not there so i dont have to travel every few week and check cameras.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Congrats to the young man and props to dad. I'll stay off my soap box but good job dad, you are doing a great thing.

Top Bottom