My Turn with the Racoon Invasion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Maybe you've heard of the "ARFCOM Curse" wherein many members there post about their divorce issues.

The "Bayoushooter Curse" apparently involves raccoon invasions in one's attic.

It's my turn now. (Do a search for "raccoon" in the Thread Search box and enjoy the hilarious previous threads.)

So yesterday, after having only 2 hours of sleep and then a LONG workday, I was in need of a good rest. Just as I started to climb into the bed, I heard a horrific crash coming from my attic. I climbed up and found a YUGE raccoon milling about, knocking things over. Since I only had my 9mm XD with me at the time, I didn't want to chance blowing holes in my roof (not sure if insurance would cover that), so I shined my flashlight at it and shouted for it to get out of my house; and it kind of shrugged and slowly disappeared into the rafters at the far corner of the attic. I haven't seen or heard it since.

I set up my Have-A Hart trap that was so successful with my 'possum problem a few years back, but so far, no luck. I waled around the house and checked the roof, but I can't figure out how it got in. Anyone with experience in this area, please chime in as to how I can find the access point and seal it up.

I'm looking at ordering this air rifle from Cabela's while they're still on sale:
    http://www.cabelas.com/sku/04082267.uts?WT.ac=DRF|198120&WT.z_pg_ref=cms12880

Anyone have one? How good is it?

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I'd go with a .22 air rifle. I hear that some possums are tough to put down with a .177 much less a raccoon. Try setting up a game camera in the area you think they may be getting in.
    I have a friend in Alabama who had rattlesnakes in his attic.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a friend in Alabama who had rattlesnakes in his attic.

Yikes! :noes:

I think I'm better off with the raccoon. Now my daughter tells me that she thinks there's a rat in the wall near her bed. I'm hoping it's just more noise from the racon.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    This is what he resorted to.

SNAKE20TRAP20002_zpsuqppddre.jpg

Not really sure what ever came of that situation. I'll have to ask him.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    New Orleans area here also, have had rat and opossum problems.
    Holes around house, fill them - I use roof shingles and rocks.
    But my trusty Henry .22 rifle with "quiet ammo" has had the best luck.
    Them beeches get mean.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I shot a possum that was walking on top of a fence in the head with a .177. He didn't even fall off the fence! He shook his head a few times and kept going!
    I'd say .22 or bow and arrow! Just don't miss! And while I can't think of a specific exclusion that would keep them from covering it (im and insurance agent...) they won't be happy with you after if you put a few 9mm's through your roof from the inside! Nor will your neighbors on the far end!

OTOH: there are some primer powered indoor rounds that might scare the thing out your attic.

Check around the lines where your AC freon lines enter the attic. Its amazing how small of a hole they can squeeze through.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I shot a possum that was walking on top of a fence in the head with a .177. He didn't even fall off the fence! He shook his head a few times and kept going!
    I'd say .22 or bow and arrow! Just don't miss! And while I can't think of a specific exclusion that would keep them from covering it (im and insurance agent...) they won't be happy with you after if you put a few 9mm's through your roof from the inside! Nor will your neighbors on the far end!

OTOH: there are some primer powered indoor rounds that might scare the thing out your attic.

Check around the lines where your AC freon lines enter the attic. Its amazing how small of a hole they can squeeze through.

Well, I DID hear it near the AC ductwork, and the AC was worked on recently, so that's a thought.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Put a strobe light in your attic.

Work harder at denying the critter access.

In Orleans, it's best to SSS.

This seems like a good idea. But I'd also like to figure out how it's getting in so I can seal that up. A few years back, I had a rat problem. I finally found a hole in the roof vent stack for my water heater. once I sealed that, the rat problem stopped.

I want to do the same for this. Otherwise, even if I get rid of this one, another will eventually find the way in.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Peanut butter and marshmallows in the trap. The ones I dealt with fit in a hole that I couldn't comprehend they would fit in. So when you're looking, don't look for a racoon sized hole, look for a mouse sized hole.

Also, I had better luck putting the traps outside than inside the attic. Seems they came in for shelter and warmth, but were still going outside to find dinner.

And now I laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Peanut butter and marshmallows in the trap. The ones I dealt with fit in a hole that I couldn't comprehend they would fit in. So when you're looking, don't look for a racoon sized hole, look for a mouse sized hole.

Also, I had better luck putting the traps outside than inside the attic. Seems they came in for shelter and warmth, but were still going outside to find dinner.

And now I laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping you'd chime in, as you are the original Raccoon Hunter here. :D

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    They make a raccoon specific trap called a coon cuff. Set it, bait it with a marshmallow or sardine or both . They stick their hands in and can't get them out. Dispatch them with a 22, good air rifle , shovel, etc. put some in the attic and outside where you think that they are entering. They do not catch other animals like cats, possums, etc.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I tried to dispatch a coon in a live trap with subsonic .22 rimfire ammo. Two shots in the head at 1 foot only wounded it, and I had to use a .22LR round to do the job. I won't use weak ammo on a coon again. It really upset me and didn't do the coon any good either.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I tried to dispatch a coon in a live trap with subsonic .22 rimfire ammo. Two shots in the head at 1 foot only wounded it, and I had to use a .22LR round to do the job. I won't use weak ammo on a coon again. It really upset me and didn't do the coon any good either.

Another way is to add a brick to the trap. Fill a garbage can with water. Teach the coon to swim.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    This thread just reminded of a story my buddy told me: there was a coon in his attic in uptown new orleans keeping him awake in dental school....he climbed in his attic and shot it with his glock 30. Haha.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Another way is to add a brick to the trap. Fill a garbage can with water. Teach the coon to swim.

Seems a little cruel to me. If you can't kill it humanely just drive somewhere and release it.
    If you shoot a raccoon you may be able to make someone happy in some neighborhoods. Just give it away. :)

Last year there was a guy in Metairie arrested(discharging a firearm)for shooting a possum behind a bar in the dumpster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom