My Turn with the Racoon Invasion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Seems a little cruel to me. If you can't kill it humanely just drive somewhere and release it.
    If you shoot a raccoon you may be able to make someone happy in some neighborhoods. Just give it away. :)

Last year there was a guy in Metairie arrested(discharging a firearm)for shooting a possum behind a bar in the dumpster.

OP is in Orleans Parish, I believe. Illegal to discharge a slingshot in Orleans, much less a firearm. Releasing it elsewhere just makes it someone else's problem. Not the neighborly thing to do.

Clubbing it to death would probably be more cruel than drowning.

Drowning is quick, clean and quiet.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Not sure. I'll ask my son who is a chef working for John Besh. Probably filets with a nice hollandaise sauce. Or maybe fava beans and chianti?

No one got the Hannibal Reference? Well played sir.

On the raccoon note, I have trapped and shot a few at our farm. Surprisingly, even a 22 mag to the head doesn't always drop them instantly, they flop around quite a bit in a live trap. A bit disturbing for the wife and we now just release them down the road. Trash Pandas are tough critters.

Also, if you are ever in Puerto Vallarta, check out Tacos Los Mapaches. You will never look at raccoons the same way again.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    No one got the Hannibal Reference? Well played sir.

On the raccoon note, I have trapped and shot a few at our farm. Surprisingly, even a 22 mag to the head doesn't always drop them instantly, they flop around quite a bit in a live trap. A bit disturbing for the wife and we now just release them down the road. Trash Pandas are tough critters.

Also, if you are ever in Puerto Vallarta, check out Tacos Los Mapaches. You will never look at raccoons the same way again.

Raccoon Tacos? You know, maybe Golden Dragon can give me some other ideas from a different ethnic perspective.

Anyway, there's been no activity in the attic since the original post. I wonder if my yelling at it was enough to permanently discourage it?

I'm still watching the trap and need to figure out how the raccoon got in the attic in the first place.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    "Dog proof" traps work great for raccoons. I had a really bad problem with them for a LONG time after Katrina. It got so bad that distemper started to set in which isn't good at all. I set a few around and was catching at least one and sometimes two a day in each one I set. Doesn't really hurt them if you do want to haul them off somewhere else and the best part is that they raise holy hell because they can't get loose letting you know right away they are there. Got mine from here: http://www.flemingtraps.com/fleming-dog-proof-raccoon-trap-brown.html

Top Bottom