Done

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    I'm sure there's more experienced people that could chime in. But with that being said, on my first build I just assembled my barrel and upper reciever, took one of two the set screws completely out of the gas block and slid it in to place (edit: with gas tube installed on block) on the barrel,triple checked alignment, and then screwed the 1 set screw down so it wouldn't move. I used a $5 harbor frieght spring loaded center punch through the center of the open hole with no set screw. Slid everything off and repeated for the other set screw hole. That gave me two index points, took a suitable drill bit and just dimpled it that way.

I might be completely ignorant, but it worked fine on my first build in 2008 and 6k plus rounds later never had a single malfunction or problem with gas system moving. A little loctite on the set screws won't hurt either.

You also might be able to crank down the set screws enough to make a mark on the barrel, and just dimple the wear marks. Some gas blocks supposedly don't need to be dimpled but I've done it for guarantee of no movement. Guess you could crank it down shoot a mag for function and then dimple the location as it sits.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Most of the time you probably dont have to worry about it moving any way...red locktite and alignment has worked from my experiences.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The dimple mostly aids in ensuring proper alignment of the gas block during installation. That's why it is important to use a jig that indexes off the gas port hole to make the dimple. Bubba-ing or guestimating likely won't get you exactly 180 degrees opposite the gas port which pretty much negates the main reason for the dimple. The set screws bite into the barrel if torqued down propperly which will hold the gas block in place with or without a dimple. If you are looking to increase the ruggedness of your gas block set up then what you seek is a pinned gas block.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom