Squeeze 'em if You Got 'Em!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

This morning was a cool 49° and I felt like some fresh orange juice so I went out in the yard and pick about fourteen or fifteen oranges off of the blood orange tree. Came in and rinsed them off and began thinking that a nice breakfast would go well with fresh squeezed OJ so I put some bacon on to cook slowly.

Oranges cut in half.

DSC00519_1.jpg

All of these are indeed blood oranges but they really just begin to get bloody(red)in January. They are very delicious and sweet by now. Last month I tried a couple and they were still really firm and a bit tart.

DSC00520_1.jpg

I do have an electric juicer but I chose to go old school and use this juicer that belonged to my mother.

DSC00524_1.jpg

A mix of bloody and orange juices

DSC00526.jpg

Bacon cooking slowly while I juiced the oranges....... Mmmmmmm........... smells fantastic!

DSC00528.jpg

Here's a funny one..... My chickens basically have stopped laying for about six weeks now and I'm just putting off killing them to cook. Last week I was out in the yard having a cold beer and talking to a friend on the phone. He had chickens in the past and I mentioned that mine had quit layin and was putting it off dispatching them. A couple of days later I was checking on them or giving them scraps and notice a big fresh egg in the laying nest. Lol...... Two days later there's four nice beautiful eggs in the nest. I guess they overheard what I said and decided to get with the program and lay or be dinner.

So, I felt like a few fresh sunny side up eggs.....

DSC00531.jpg

Add a couple of slices of buttered wheat toast and it was time to eat!

DSC00533.jpg

Can't forget that glass of chilled blood OJ!
    Oh, I ended up with between 36 and 40 ounces of fresh juice from those 14 or 15 oranges.

8e97c682-148c-4683-9765-235e0e4ed45c.jpg

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    My chickens did the same thing. Quit laying for a couple of weeks. They started back a few days ago.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Yeah, I need to spray it soon. What's the oil you spray it with?

On the chickens, these are a few years old and yes, they have stopped laying for a couple of weeks(stress from weather, opossums, high heat.....)but I don't expect they'll lay much for much longer. My son wants me to get more to replace them. We'll see.

Top Bottom