First supressor, a few questions regarding process and use.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    Been wanting one forever, but always had a hard time spending that amount up front then just waiting. But thinking about just going ahead and biting the bullet. Just had a few questions.

I'm in the BR area and want to know who I should go with for the purchase. I'll be honest I want the dealer to hold my hand on this, give me what I need to fill out, tell me what to do, what's next. etc. Don't know if they all help guide the process or not, but I don't want to have to wade through the interwebs to find a certain form, find out what's next, etc.

I have also heard that some dealers with ranges onsite will allow you to shoot the suppressor while waiting for approval, this would be great to alleviate the frustration of paying all the money and not being able to take the item home until Uncle Sam says so. That's always been my major hang up. But don't know if this is a common thing, or if any dealers around here offer that.

This will be a 9mm suppressor for use on various handguns but also possibly a CZ scorpion, I wouldn't imagine any complications with the CZ now having the correct threading but if there's something I'm not taking into account please point it out.

Finally, I'm considering once all is said and done, having the suppressor live most it's life outside the range on a dedicated home defense gun for hearing protection in the event of defensive use. Are there any legalities regarding this, or is it just a matter of you may look more suspicious defending yourself with a suppressor in court.

Still going around on brand/model. Kind of interested in the SilencerCo Hybrid so I can run it on AR's as well.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I'm in the same boat and can offer no real advice, other than... it might be worth waiting to see what happens with the Hearing Protection Act?

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    Yeah, that's kind of what sparked my curiosity. But honestly, I feel even if it does pass, it will be quite a while as there are plenty of things supposedly on the new Congressional agenda. Unless this gets put on as a rider with some other bill and slips in there.
    Also part of the HPA is a refund of recent stamp fees. Mainly I'm worried that it will take much longer to pass than the current ATF wait, and if it does pass, EVERYONE will be rushing out to pick one up. If the AR scare was any indication, suppressors would probably double or triple in price. I remember after Sandy Hook I bought the last Sig M400 at Wal-Mart, not due to panic, just went in for spray paint and it was a really good price. Guy behind me offered me $400 just to let him buy it when he heard it was the last one. I can't even Imagine the suppressor demand should the HPA pass, and there are much fewer suppressors on the shelves than AR's.

I'm in the same boat and can offer no real advice, other than... it might be worth waiting to see what happens with the Hearing Protection Act?

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    If you plan on hanging it on an AR (you didn't specify caliber) be sure it's rated for it. I know someone who put a 9mm can on a 5.56 AR, it worked great until he pulled the trigger. Also, the ATF says expected wait time post 41F will be 12 to 18 months. They're working early June right now, so they haven't hit the log jam yet.

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I bought my cans from Kenny @ Meplat Group in Metairie. he is a great guy and a 1 stop shop, he does it all. Do yourself a favor and save enough to buy a .30 cal can and a rimfire/.22 can at the same time, you will thank yourself later because you wont own just 1, guaranteed so cry once/wait once and smile forever;)

I have some friends that have bought cans from Jim's in Baton Rouge that were happy with them, so Jim's would be another option.

wait times are running 8-10 months and don't get your hopes up about the Hearing protection Act, if it happens it happens but it wont be anytime soon so if you are serious about buying a can just go do it

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    See Dale at Landry's gun if you're looking for local.

Dale will absolutely hold your hand through it, my first can was from him, he basically filled out everything for me, mailed it to me with instructions to complete, I sent it back and began the wait. He may have some options for demo cans, I've seen him offer it in the past.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    Thanks for the input so far.

I keep looking at the Hybrid so that I can change the mount and endcap and use it for multiple calibers. Truth be told my entire collection is pretty much in 9mm, 22, and 5.56 with the exception a .357sig which not much point in suppressing that. Ideally I would like to have a dedicated can for the 3 calibers I use and stockpile, but If I can get one can to fit them all. Just not sure about the Hybrid on a 22 pistol and whether leveraged weigh would cause malfunctions. Or the dirtiness of 22.

In all honesty, I have to go to the range to shoot anyway so ears will still be required. Just want a can for the very few times a year I get access to private/family land that meets distance laws for shooting but still have neighbors within an annoyable distance.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm personally not a huge fan of the Hybrid. Things that do lots of things "okay" do nothing "well". The appeal of a do-it-all can is understandable, but everyone I know with a suppressor ends up buying more anyway. It's just something you have to accept. :D

My recommendation would be to get a .45ACP pistol can, and down the road a rimfire can and a 7.62 rifle can, in that order. Those 3 will cover almost every platform and caliber and is a good balance of versatility and performance.

Come see us (Interstate Guns) in Hammond, we can walk you through every step and handle everything on site.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I went with dale landry, before the new law change, very helpful!!!! great dude, would deff go with him again, I got the omega 30, hybrid, and sparrow, I loved the silencerco warrenty, customer service and everything they are trying to do for our rights( even though it helps there business lol) they seem like great people and have called them a few times with some questions and they are A++++. Dale is the same way, I should of had to pay him for all the questions he answered for me even not related to suppressors about sbrs.. and if you go with a trust check out JOEY, (JCcypress) great and knows his stuff also

I went with the hybrid primarlly for my 45-70 encore with a threaded barrel, I must say shooting subsonic 405gr hard cast at 1050fps is stupid quiet with the hybrid, I shoot it at around 75 yards at a metal gong and all you hear is a 10lb hammer hitting the gong with a little air swooshing noise at the muzzle. I can shoot it off the back porch and my wife inside cant even hear me shoot, that's worth it in its own..more than enough for deer/hog hunting and over 2times the energy (1000ft/lb) as the 300aac 220gr subsonic around (500ft/lbs I think),
    plus with end caps you can change it to any caliber you want very easy, and can also shoot pistols up to 45acp. big selling point for me

next the omega 30, I wanted something dedicated to my 5.56,7.62x39,.308 MSR's, with the quick attach from one to the other and shooting ar pistols and ar10's is about the sound of a semi auto .22 or a bolt action .22 mag at the most, I have shot prob over 500 rounds with omega with the pistols (waiting on sbr stamps) and ar10,7.62x39 in the back yard and haven't worn ear protection yet with no issue, and deff don't disturb the neighbors, now I live on 7.5 acres and have a few other neighbors but every body has 5+ acres so we arnt on top of nobody but theres a huge diff in sound, like I said about like a 22 LR.

then the sparrow, very simple went with it cause of ease to clean, have it on a ruger 10/22 lite very compact and very quiet with cci standard velocity rounds, I have a stand behind my house and brought it last hunt and was able to shoot 5 squirrels and 2 rabbits under my feeder about 50yards away with out even disturbing the others, I would shoot a squirrel and the others would just run about 5ft and look at the one flopping on the ground lol

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    also not sure if dale still does it but I know at one point and time he had pleanty demo/personal cans he would let you try, again idk if he still does that

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    As speedracer said we do a good job at making the process pretty painless.

We run everything through Silencer Shop's SID kiosk so fingerprints and photos are done on site.

Most customers start with a 45 caliber pistol can, and a 30 cal rifle can, and a rimfire can. There are so many routes you could go with each and would be much easier to explain with product sitting in front of you. Once piece of advise I guess would to be not to chase decibels but instead look at feature set.

Hope to see you in the store!

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    "Once piece of advise I guess would to be not to chase decibels but instead look at feature set"

this is true, I wouldn't worry about 5db rating diff, now you get in to 10-20db diff that's a pretty good bit, but If they were with in a couple db ratings of the primary caliber you intend on using it for, I would take a good look at specs(length, weight, diameter, what material maid out of and how ect) ease of attachment, customer service, warranty, reviews ect

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    also not trying to sway you to silencer co, but if you buy one from them I think they will refund you a $200 credit to there store if you buy one of there cans and the hearing safe act passes, so in other words if you buy from one of there reps, and register it with silencer co for your lifetime warrenty , plus you get free stuff when you register it, when the bill pass, notice I said "when" lol they will credit your account with them $200

btw I was right at 8 months wait time, but luckily I got all 3 approved at once.. and I agree with other buy what you want now, buy once cry once, im glad I bought 3, but to be honest I wish I would have bought 2 of the omega 30's along with the hybrid and sparrow

Last edited:

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    If the HPA passes, is there a cut off date on who gets their stamp money back. Like if you bought a stamp since the HPA was introduced you'll probably get your money back, but not if you applied 10 years ago right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    A little googling and I answered my own question.
    87fc2a2e17e03c944048ddf0ac00c1ab.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Finally, I'm considering once all is said and done, having the suppressor live most it's life outside the range on a dedicated home defense gun for hearing protection in the event of defensive use. Are there any legalities regarding this, or is it just a matter of you may look more suspicious defending yourself with a suppressor in court.

If you obtain the suppressor legally it is then subject to the States laws. Eighteen states have made them legal for hunting. You should have not have any 'legal' problems specific to the suppressor.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    Thanks for the wealth of info guys! I really wasn't aware that 9 through a 45 can was a viable option. I knew it would work physically and all, just not that it was on par and better in some cases then a dedicated 9mm can. I'm going to wait until I file my taxes, not that I'm getting a return, but want to make sure I won't owe too much this year and will begin the shopping process. Just the whole pay now and wait a long A#$ time is a hard pill to swallow.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    There is a ton of good info in this thread but one thing I want to add is that if you think you might get the itch to do an SBR later down the road check out minimum barrel lengths on the suppressor you are looking at. This is why I went with the SiCo Saker instead of the Omega because the Omega had a longer barrel length requirement for 5.56 than the Saker. I think the Saker went down to 10.5 inch barrel length if I remember correctly.

I also did the Octane 45, and Spectre II, Saker 7.62 trifecta for my first purchases figured it should cover all my needs for the immediate future.

Top Bottom