Homemade Chicken Soup

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

The other day I was at one of the local supermarkets, Rouse's and they had chicken leg quarters on sale for $.29 a pound in ten pound bags. Seeing how they were frozen in one big clump I decided to grab a bag for making a soup. The wife has been on a soup kick and I thought homemade chicken soup would be a nice change up. So, yesterday morning I put the whole ten pound bag in a pot of water to simmer and make a stock/broth for the soup and to cook the chicken for easy deboning. When done I separated the meat from the liquid and strained the liquid to cool. This morning I took out the stock and skimmed off the smooth solid chicken fat and put it aside. Deboned the meat and started the soup out slow adding celery, carrots and leeks, Let that simmer for a couple of hours and meanwhile I made some homemade pasta to add to the soup. If you're going to do something homemade right go ahead and go the extra mile and really do it right. I almost forgot to mention after deboning the chicken I put the bones and scraps in the oven to roast and make a second stock to stick in the freezer for something later. Maybe beans or a fricassee or gumbo.
    So I added the pasta to the soup and letting it finish cooking. Smells like a cold winter day here right now!

Thighs simmering by themselves.

DSC00571.jpg

The stock and fat after straining.

DSC00573.jpg

Smooth rich chicken fat. I'll find something to do with this.

DSC00587.jpg

Bones and scraps roasted after deboning.

DSC00583.jpg

Homemade pasta for the soup.

DSC00589.jpg

Should be good! Simmering a little longer to cook the pasta.

DSC00593.jpg

Got a stock going with those roasted bones and I can't think of anything else to get from this $2.90 of chicken thins. Lol........

Oh, I'll get a picture of the soup served later.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Looks really good! Be sure and freeze some because flu season is upon us and home made chicken soup is WAY better than antibiotics.

One question for everybody. Does anyone leave the bones in for soups and stews anymore? Call me uncouth, but I suck the meat off the bones like we did when I was a kid. Everybody knows the chicken neck in there is mine too! Maybe not for polite society but it just makes it taste better to get next to your food like that. ;)

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I had a bowl of the soup and it really came out pretty dang good!

Had some Praltines(that's what my oldest daughter called them when she was a child.... Premium Saltines)and a glass of something I haven't had in forever. The other day at Rouse's I spotted the small envelopes of Kool Aid they had in the old days for like a nickle. Kool Aid Black Cherry!

DSC00595.jpg

By the time the soup cooked the meat fell apart more than I expected so with the homemade noodles it's a really hearty soup which we love here. Not just a lot of liquid.

DSC00597.jpg

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    That looks pretty dang tasty! I will have to google homemade noodles.

If you do and happen to have "00" pizza flour on hand use that instead of the suggested All Purpose flour most recipes tell you to use. It makes for a more tender pasta after it's cooked but if you don't have it just go with the AP.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I get flour in 50 pound bags since we make bread. And have thought about getting a pasta maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid.
    Soup looks great.

Top Bottom