Some fun at the range.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    MOA is the drop of the round to distance. 1 MOA= 1 inch per 100yrds

Actually not exactly true. 1 MOA is a 1" spread @100 yards of a pattern of shots fired. So it can be windage and/or elevation. You can have a 1 MOA and it potentially could be horizontal stringing only, left and/or right of the bulls eye.

1 MOA equals .5" @ 50 yards. Or .25" @ 25 yards.

Or 2" at 200 yards, or 3" at 300 yards......see the pattern here?

Here is a link to reference material:

http://nssf.org/video/facts/MOA.cfm

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    1 MOA is 1 Inch drop per 100M. not sure how hard that is to understand. sure there is more to it then that. noone here is disputing that. but generally this is how its calculated. Secondly, no one was waving their I dick around until you showed up with your smart ass comments , saying it impossible to shoot these groups with a 10.5 inch barrel at 75M. 75 M is not very far. Generally i zero at 25M which my groups would be even tighter. and those are not 2" in groups. measured with a caliper from my smallest group. you measure from one round to the last round. then minus the bullet diameter which would be .223. my smallest shot group was .7-.223= 0.477

MOA is measured off of yards 100 yards equals an inch. So... 1moa is a 1inch group at 100 yards. Yards and meters aren't the same. And if my memory serves me (I'm no PRS shooter either) MOA is measured off of the center of the furtherest spread bullets. 1/4 MOA at 75m looks like keyholes. I stacked a few on Sunday, but I'm not gonna say I even shot 1moa because my groups didn't consistently group that well. I shot the center out of three 4inch targets, but I wasn't consistent. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to trying to shoot tight groups with a 45-70 H&R on one side and a Garand on the other. Both shooters shot more rounds than I did in they were there.

Last edited:

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    MOA is measured off of yards 100 yards equals an inch. So... 1moa is a 1inch group at 100 yards. Yards and meters aren't the same. And if my memory serves me (I'm no PRS shooter either) MOA is measured off of the center of the furtherest spread bullets. 1/4 MOA at 75m looks like keyholes. I stacked a few on Sunday, but I'm not gonna say I even shot 1moa because my groups didn't consistently group that well. I shot the center out of three 4inch targets, but I wasn't consistent. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to trying to shoot tight groups with a 45-70 H&R on one side and a Garand on the other. Both shooters shot more rounds than I did in they were there.
    Yes Sir!. i dont get hung up on MOA as im not a competition shooter. i teach fundamentals, as well as stress shooting. im not a sniper instructor so some terminology i am not an expert on like some people seem to be here. Nor do i ever claim to be. also i was shooting at Yards not meters as i initially posted. im still stuck on Metric from years in the military. None of my posting was to promote th e"o look at me im an amazing shooter" i posted to show some fun at the range on a day off. Someone asked how my groups were and i replied , MOA calculations were off and if i am mistaken so be it. i posted my Groups picture and to me i think its a pretty good group for what it is. saying its impossible to shoot this at distance is not really fair. Apparently i triggered Vanilla. and he wants to do some shooting saturday, which im happy to oblige. He wont tell me what Agency he works for after i told him who i work for. My guess is he is FBI, from his attitude.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Yes Sir!. i dont get hung up on MOA as im not a competition shooter. i teach fundamentals, as well as stress shooting. im not a sniper instructor so some terminology i am not an expert on like some people seem to be here. Nor do i ever claim to be. also i was shooting at Yards not meters as i initially posted. im still stuck on Metric from years in the military. None of my posting was to promote th e"o look at me im an amazing shooter" i posted to show some fun at the range on a day off. Someone asked how my groups were and i replied , MOA calculations were off and if i am mistaken so be it. i posted my Groups picture and to me i think its a pretty good group for what it is. saying its impossible to shoot this at distance is not really fair. Apparently i triggered Vanilla. and he wants to do some shooting saturday, which im happy to oblige. He wont tell me what Agency he works for after i told him who i work for. My guess is he is FBI, from his attitude.

You never asked man, and FWIW I told you what Agency you work for, I didn't ask. You said you were doing something you weren't. It's not terminology it's a lack of knowing what you are talking about. It's like saying my car goes 220mph, no that's KPH, same difference. Except it's not at all.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    i did ask you , in your PM, and you never responded. again not reading what i said. again.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

I'm sorry it was me I asked about your groups. I like seeing how other people shoot. I wouldn't mind shooting with you guys. I'm betting I could learn something.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Are we allowed to place wagers and have an independent judge on who wins on Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Are we allowed to place wagers and have an independent judge on who wins on Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pretty sure Thats illegal. ill probably win anyway, since he does work for the Sheriffs department and that recent shooting were they shot the kidnapping suspect 500 times and did not hit him once. :)

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Lol lol if I wasn't shooting a 3-gun match Saturday I'd come play. But I'm going to stick to the 8 moa moving targets at 100 (Texas star) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    pretty sure Thats illegal. ill probably win anyway, since he does work for the Sheriffs department and that recent shooting were they shot the kidnapping suspect 500 times and did not hit him once. :)

Sitting at a bench shooting I'm not sure how good VG is because I've never seen him shoot that way.

Now a challenge of shooting from cars, behind barricades and running drills while moving? I'd put my money on VG all day.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana

hqdefault.jpg

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Lol lol if I wasn't shooting a 3-gun match Saturday I'd come play. But I'm going to stick to the 8 moa moving targets at 100 (Texas star) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Texas star is fun :) i suck at that target with pistols bad. all about timing and gravity.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I just watched the movie 'John Wick', and honestly, I learned a lot.

Can i get an invite to this range session? I'd love to show you how it's really done!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

He didn't say what SO he worked for. What makes you think it was the dept that shot 500 times? Did you use that fancy Federal laptop to check him out? :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom