Some fun at the range.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Bc Atlanta is close to Ft Benning and your unit had a **** travel and training budget. That would be my guess anyway. Where you went to school, is on balance, way less important then how much work you do. MPs, almost universally think they are super soldiers, and I'm sure as a property guard your expirence standing post at gates is helpful, but, MPs make **** cops. I'd rather have combat arms guys anyway.

I did 2 combat deployments in iraq and Afghanistan, blown up more times then I want to admit. Did missions off the wire every day. And was stationed at fob price doing joint missions with 3rd group. But ya , not combat arms what do I know...

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    So... have we officially recanted 1/4 MOA or did we misspoke?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    And I'll also be protecting the stadium in houston on superbowl day. So talk all the crap you want VG.

Along with every other LEA in the Greater Houston Area. Neato.

- - - Updated - - -

Atlanta pd instructors came to Ft Benning and trained us on site...please. got anything else. You're a bad troll.

Again cool story bro. How many Search Warrants did you execute after finishing school?

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Did a few . Also helped apprehend 2 murder suspects on ft. Benning who killed a basic trainee in the barracks.
    I thought we have a good private message going, now we are back to **** talking.

Yeah ill own up to not knowing all MOA science. And I did misspell on the comment. But I stand by my shot groups. And as I mentioned to you privately barrel size does not effect accuracy , only velocity and penetration power at distance. Something you apparently do not understand.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Did a few . Also helped apprehend 2 murder suspects on ft. Benning who killed a basic trainee in the barracks.
    I thought we have a good private message going, now we are back to **** talking.

Yeah ill own up to not knowing all MOA science. And I did misspell on the comment. But I stand by my shot groups. And as I mentioned to you privately barrel size does not effect accuracy , only velocity and penetration power at distance. Something you apparently do not understand.

So velocity doesn't effect accuracy?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bye the bye it effects "penetration power" up close also. Stops talking about stuff as being fact when you don't know! That's been my point from the beginning. Learn some stuff. There are resources. There are people here who know volumes more about this stuff than you. There are guys here who talk about "Officer Survival Shooting" because they teach it and have been in gunfight(s). Stop regurgitating things you kinda maybe heard but can't remember exactly. Some muppet will read it, and see that you're an FI, and repeat it to another muppet, then there will
    Be three muppets that have to be sorted out.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    So velocity doesn't effect accuracy?

A shorter barrel of the same diameter (or even better, the same weight & therefore a larger diameter) will be stiffer, whip less, and deflect less due to heat. This will result in slightly smaller groups.

A longer barrel will give you increased velocity. In a perfect world, velocity doesn't matter, but in our imperfect world we have to estimate bullet deflection due to wind and gravity, and these estimates are never exact. Increased velocity means less deflection, which also means any errors in our estimates for deflection are also lessened. Smaller errors mean the bullet lands closer to the spot you were aiming at. The larger the deflection the more errors in estimation matters, so this is more of an issue at longer ranges.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    A shorter barrel of the same diameter (or even better, the same weight & therefore a larger diameter) will be stiffer, whip less, and deflect less due to heat. This will result in slightly smaller groups.

A longer barrel will give you increased velocity. In a perfect world, velocity doesn't matter, but in our imperfect world we have to estimate bullet deflection due to wind and gravity, and these estimates are never exact. Increased velocity means less deflection, which also means any errors in our estimates for deflection are also lessened. Smaller errors mean the bullet lands closer to the spot you were aiming at. The larger the deflection the more errors in estimation matters, so this is more of an issue at longer ranges.

So Velocity does effect accuracy?

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Barrel length doesn't normally affect accuracy, but primarily velocity. However, short barrels can be very rigid and that can play a part in increasing accuracy.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Also there are several variables involved in barrels that effect accuracy. The comments you made about Barrel length and stiffness etc. are at best academic and are rarely ever true in any actual useful way. For instance: sight radius, twist, crown, rifling type, the list goes on....

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Barrel length doesn't normally affect accuracy, but primarily velocity. However, short barrels can be very rigid and that can play a part in increasing accuracy.

And long barrels can be stiff. Have you ever seen a bench rest gun? By your example they would have huge fat stubby barrels. Like tuna cans. Hung like The Puma. They don't. Nobody uses a short AR because it's more accurate, and nobody who uses a short AR is doing so without accepting they loose some accuracy in exchange for convience.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Also there are several variables involved in barrels that effect accuracy. The comments you made about Barrel length and stiffness etc. are at best academic and are rarely ever true in any actual useful way. For instance: sight radius, twist, crown, rifling type, the list goes on....

Of course. As well as your round and grain. They are not academic for one it's proven science.

In real world use Noone really cares honestly as long as you can put a round Center mass effectively .

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I never shot my SBR at a distance which would make an impossible shot group possible. I shot at 75 ish yards. And also 25 yards.

If I was shooting 100 or 200 yards it wouldnt be the same grouping. For one I have no optic on this and my eyes are not perfect.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Ah the "in the real world argument". I care. I care because sometimes I don't have an "8" Kill Zone" I have a 4" target or a 3" target or under stress my shooting ability degrades and I have to be able to hit what I'm aiming at and gunfights are a collection of moments in time and fractions of inches and I'm not interested in giving any of those away.

So shorter barrels are stiffer and more accurate? That's science fact? Have you heard of Straight Taper?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/-33...559?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

That's stiff. And accurate. I'm starting to feel like I'm kicking a person who doesnt know how to stand up... so I'm going to stop. Hopefully there is enough of you clearly not knowing what your talking about in the record now that nobody in their right mind will read this and think you do. FYI, "Military Issue Colts" don't have 16" barrels.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom