Truck Cup Holder Holster Update! With Pics!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I need a cylindrically shaped block of wood, cut and sanded to some certain dimensions "or" I need to find a source for a self hardening resin I can pour myself.

How about it? Wood lathe operators? Chemical salesmen? General knowledge folks?

Last edited:

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    funny you ask i just was turning some wood this morning. If someone doesn't mind wood chips on their metal lathe they should be able help you out down there in "Nether region".
    20170117_144135_zps3qqvyadu.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    What are the "some certain dimensions " you need? Any particular type of wood needed?

It is approximately 3 1/4" in diameter, and 2" deep. The wood only needs to be relatively hard for support of the screws.

What I am doing is taking this Dara Holster in the pic;
    iu

and affixing the base plate to the wood cylinder or resin, and dropping it in the forward most cup/change holder of a 2017 Toyota Tundra (see below).
    iu

The RAM swivel ball locking feature allows me to set the angle of the holster towards me, just ahead of the shifter.

Now before any of you purist chime in about hiding it under the dash; I do not have any intentions of it being hidden! It will be for two purposes; and two purposes only - 1) So I can draw it in milliseconds (if ever necessary); and 2) so it stays in place!

Since I NEVER go anywhere without my pistol (including brief stops to gas stations, road side pisses, etc); the gun will NEVER be left in the holster. So theft is of no concern! Also; I typically do not drive around with people I cannot trust sitting next to me; so I do not worry about anyone drawing my pistol and shooting me with it, just because it is in the open. It stays in the cup holder now! I just get angry when it moves around on hard turns; or having to break hard for idiots texting in front of me.

I used to have a wood lathe; so I know that can be done. I am slightly concerned about the 2 inch depth; but if the cylinder fits snugly; it shouldn't be an issue. And if necessary, I would glue the cylinder in the holder for added adhesion.

A self hardening resin would work too; but even though the truck is brand new, I would want to be able to remove it down the road. So that would be a mold, and then inserted.

So; anyone?

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    You could just cut two plywood circles and use dowels as a spacer to get the height correct and that should work for that setup. If the size is right you could even use a holesaw to cut the plywood , bandsaw or router would do the trick. Just spitballing some ideas in case you want it done quicker.

Have you measured the diameter of the cup holder? Could you maybe even use PVC pipe cut to length with an end cap glued on for the mount?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You could just cut two plywood circles and use dowels as a spacer to get the height correct and that should work for that setup. If the size is right you could even use a holesaw to cut the plywood , bandsaw or router would do the trick. Just spitballing some ideas in case you want it done quicker.

Have you measured the diameter of the cup holder? Could you maybe even use PVC pipe cut to length with an end cap glued on for the mount?

Though not done with a micrometer; it is basically 3 1/2" in diameter with a standard tape measure. I am cogitating on the PVC suggestion, but that would be predicated on the outside diameter of the PVC. And now that I think about it, the outside diameter of a 3 " schedule 80 PVC pipe may be exactly 3 1/2".

Hmmm. Possibly could work. And look half way like it was made for this truck.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    You can spray paint some PVC and it would look pretty good if you can get a close color match.

I was trying to think of a shade tree mechanic way to make something that would basically go in the cup holder then rotate it to make the sides press fit against the walls of the cup holder. I see they have this kind of thing for electronics but the all have a flexible neck attached to it.

I did some Googling and found this but can't seem to find a website that sells it.

http://www.officer.com/product/12091964/squared-away-surplus-chum-cup-holster-universal-mount

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    You would probably be best off with a piece of Delrin. you can probably get the right diameter and just cut off what your need. Works well with hand tools and is much stronger/better than wood for what you want to use it for. Seems like there was a thread here a while back looking for a local source of Delrin. I'll see if I can find it. Turning wood on a metal lathe SUCKS and is bad for the lathe.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    What about 3d printed abs plastic? I'm printing something for work right now.

What about an adapter that fits (hopefully sung) in the cup holder with a recess for the front of the slide, holding the pistol nose down with the grip pointing to the rear?

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    ajridgedell
    Nice! I've got a Grizzly 9x19 out in the garage and a table top milling machine. If you've got a wood lathe, it's just a wood lathe. If you've got a metal lathe plus a few accessories you have a metal lathe, a wood lathe, and a milling machine.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You would probably be best off with a piece of Delrin. you can probably get the right diameter and just cut off what your need. Works well with hand tools and is much stronger/better than wood for what you want to use it for. Seems like there was a thread here a while back looking for a local source of Delrin. I'll see if I can find it. Turning wood on a metal lathe SUCKS and is bad for the lathe.

Looking at some pics of the Delrin dowels, I'd say you are on to something for my project. And, it appears that one could possibly purchase this stuff in dry form?!?

And this site is chock full of cool stuff like it.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=6587&step=4&showunits=inches&id=216&top_cat=181

Went with Acetal rod from here:

https://www.myalro.com/

They sell remnants of the rods. I will come back and post some pics when it is done!

Thanks, tallwalker!

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Probably cuz he doesn't want a loaded handgun zinging around the car when he crashes.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Since you're doing something "removable" how about adapting the base of this? It will lock into the cup holder much tighter than anything else that's removable. So much so that I can lift out the cupholder and anything connected to it just by pulling on the mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M4LV5H0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do like this design of this base. If the Acetal rod doesn't work as well as I think it will, I may try this. However, it appears that this base is specific to that mounting arm. I already have the RAM mounted holster w/base plate. It doesn't look like that base can be manipulated.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom