Sig Awarded Military Handgun Contract

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    From Federal Business Opportunities, 19 Jan 2017:

Sig Sauer Inc., Newington, New Hampshire, was awarded a $580,217,000 firm-fixed-price contract for the Modular Handgun System including handgun, accessories and ammunition to replace the current M9 handgun. Bids were solicited via the Internet with nine received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Jan. 19, 2027. Army Contracting Command, Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-17-D-0016).

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    It has be a P320 or P320RX.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have a really hard time believing they will introduce a hammerless, safety less, double action only pistol to every swinging dumb f**k E1 or butterbar to end up with 9 toes....
    My .02...

Last edited:

frogger2662

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Sig has a P320 with an ambi saftey already in production.
    Rumour has it this the pistol chosen. IMG_9709_1A.jpgIMG_9709_1A.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the double pic.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have a really hard time believing they will introduce a hammerless, safety less, double action only pistol to every swinging dumb f**k E1 or butterbar to end up with 9 toes....
    My .02...

That's been my contention as to why Glock never got the contract. Last thing they want is every s***bird walking off Glock-leg every time they take a **** break.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    If it is going to shoot 9mm 124gr ball, then it is a waste of money. The M9 is more accurate than any SIG service pistol.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I believe this contract is only for Army and Air Force. As far as I know, the Corps is still going with the Glock 19.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Well I'm not a "fan boy" but I do like Glock pistols.

But 323MAR, is a sig p229 in 9mm considered a sig "service" model? Cuz if so I'm going to say your statement is flawed. I've shot a number of different pistol in those two models (p229's & M9/92fs's) and there is no way the beretta is more accurate! And that isn't just with me behind the gun.

That being said I have no trigger time on a p320 but holding and finger banging one didn't impress me. Felt cheap and flimsy. IMO. Love the metal sigs!

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Whenever gubment contracts are awarded I think back to the quote an astronaut (maybe Buzz) said about how it feels sitting on top of one million pounds of explosives built by the lowest bidder. I don't think much has changed. I just hope the gun was actually chosen because of its capabilities and not cost. Our heros deserve the best equipment, period.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Whenever gubment contracts are awarded I think back to the quote an astronaut (maybe Buzz) said about how it feels sitting on top of one million pounds of explosives built by the lowest bidder. I don't think much has changed. I just hope the gun was actually chosen because of its capabilities and not cost. Our heros deserve the best equipment, period.

:hi5:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Well I'm not a "fan boy" but I do like Glock pistols.

But 323MAR, is a sig p229 in 9mm considered a sig "service" model? Cuz if so I'm going to say your statement is flawed. I've shot a number of different pistol in those two models (p229's & M9/92fs's) and there is no way the beretta is more accurate! And that isn't just with me behind the gun.

That being said I have no trigger time on a p320 but holding and finger banging one didn't impress me. Felt cheap and flimsy. IMO. Love the metal sigs!

The accuracy of the P229 in .357SIG is on a par with the M9 in my experience. I have always shot a possible with the M9 in the Marines. I could have done that with any SIG, but it was very easy with the M9. The accuracy of the M9 does have much to do with 4.9" barrel.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    If the info I heard was correct, back in the 80's when they chose Beretta to replace the 1911 service pistol, a lot of the reason may have had to do with political pressure to get Italy to allow the US and NATO to put bases in their country? As I understand, Sig was the other top contender back then, and many felt it may have done better (or at least as well) in the field tests, but the final decision was influenced by our wanting to get Italy more receptive to other concerns we had there? Not that Berettas haven't been good pistols and up to the job, I'm sure they couldn't have accepted them if they weren't. But politics does become a factor in this. I'm sure Sig has a good product here, they are a top quality gun maker, so I'm sure there is little concern if the gun will be good enough. But there is no telling if there were some other political aspects to the decision either, who knows.

burien

Burien
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Low price alternative, m9's crack in the slide and the frame quite often, DHS has gone to Sig DAK .40, this new DOD sig will be stronger than the M9 alloy. When this new sig frame cracks or gets run over by a vehicle, the armor can just trow the frame in the trash and put a new one on the platform using the removable FCG / S/N / firearm part of the pistol. A new frame will be about $20.

Plus LOTS of surplus mags will be on the market soon for you M9 owners, always a good thing.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom