Who Realoads 300 Blackout?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hebecrak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    New Iberia, LA
    I'm a member of a Facebook group for .300 blackout members that have a wealth of information about anything Blackout. Reloads, SBR, and builds check them out if you are reloading blackout.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Subscribed.

Mickey, I'm interested your bullet choice. I've read complaints about the A-max not opening up because it was never designed to at subsonic speeds. Have you had a chance to see how it expands?

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I load for and shoot the 300BO. I am into the supersonic stuff....lol...a real barn burner!! I shoot 90gn to 130gn mostly and up to 147fmj on occasions.

It can be a finicky round to load, but its accurate, economical and .30 cal !! :)

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Subscribed.

Mickey, I'm interested your bullet choice. I've read complaints about the A-max not opening up because it was never designed to at subsonic speeds. Have you had a chance to see how it expands?

I've just plinked with my loads. Only wacking paper or steel.
    I had a conversation today with one of the owners of the company I work for that shoots these projectiles and has fantastic results on a well placed neck shot. Dropped like a sack of taters.
    http://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...s/308-maximum-expansion-194gr-subsonic-bullet

http://www.lehighdefense.com/produc...nic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I've just plinked with my loads. Only wacking paper or steel.
    I had a conversation today with one of the owners of the company I work for that shoots these projectiles and has fantastic results on a well placed neck shot. Dropped like a sack of taters.
    http://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...s/308-maximum-expansion-194gr-subsonic-bullet

http://www.lehighdefense.com/produc...nic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648

Yeah those Lehigh defense rounds are cool but at those prices I could never afford to train at a $1.70-$2.00 a pull. I did see something about pulling the tip on the A max achieving better expansion but it's the interwebz, you just never know.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Yeah those Lehigh defense rounds are cool but at those prices I could never afford to train at a $1.70-$2.00 a pull. I did see something about pulling the tip on the A max achieving better expansion but it's the interwebz, you just never know.
    I only shoot the 208gr Amax because I have a pile of them and they are reasonably priced.:)

Drummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    NELA
    I picked up a 16in upper this week and some dies. I actually just came in from my shop prepping some brass for some first loads. I'm planning on staying with supers and going to try some 130gr Hornady SP since I already have a few boxes.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

Me too. Getting a bullet to expand at subsonic speeds is a challenge. I was thinking the Hornady's Interlock RN would be the best option but they won't feed reliably.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I shoot subsonic suppressed almost exclusively. The Amax 208's make a little hole going into a beaver & a little hole coming our. The only bullets available for handloading that do expand subsonic are the high dollar machined copper (Lehigh defense). The Noveske Glowtip factory ammo works quite well and has had a major impact (pun warning) on the beaver population in my pond. Very quite until they meet mr beaver.

If you're interested in handloading, save yourself a headache and buy virgin brass. Not all .223 and 5.56 cases will work. I also had trouble with"professionally" reformed brass, just won't chamber.

I'm in the upper left hand corner of Louisiana if I can be any help.

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I like the Speer 125 TNT for supersonic. Expansion hasn't been a problem. A while back we had to clean out some beavers too so I used the Speers and also Hornady 150 interlock sp and was able to recover enough of each to see how they did. Speers are better but I was surprised how well the SP's expanded because I didn't expect they would. Both are cheap and easy to find.

300AAC will sure whack a beaver though!

Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I shoot subsonic suppressed almost exclusively. The Amax 208's make a little hole going into a beaver & a little hole coming our. The only bullets available for handloading that do expand subsonic are the high dollar machined copper (Lehigh defense). The Noveske Glowtip factory ammo works quite well and has had a major impact (pun warning) on the beaver population in my pond. Very quite until they meet mr beaver.

If you're interested in handloading, save yourself a headache and buy virgin brass. Not all .223 and 5.56 cases will work. I also had trouble with"professionally" reformed brass, just won't chamber.

I'm in the upper left hand corner of Louisiana if I can be any help.

Anyone tried the Lake City brass?

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Anyone tried the Lake City brass?

Some headstamps are supposed to be OK. I reformed a batch of the "correct" cases and a fair number wouldn't chamber. I small base sized (5.56), formed, length trimmed, neck turned, and resized again. Not all would chamber, I gave up & just bought virgin brass. Haven't had any trouble since.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Some headstamps are supposed to be OK. I reformed a batch of the "correct" cases and a fair number wouldn't chamber. I small base sized (5.56), formed, length trimmed, neck turned, and resized again. Not all would chamber, I gave up & just bought virgin brass. Haven't had any trouble since.

I was actually watch a reloading video yesterday about converted brass. The 5.56 sounds like a crap shoot but the lower pressure 2.23 is supposed work better. But I defer to those who have experience, and at this point that ain't me.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I've been in the process of creating 2 subsonic loads for my bolt guns. Leaning on the old man because he just has a knack for working out the math and has home brewed some fantastic loads over the years. I wanted something right at the 1100fps mark with better range and better expansion. Using mostly once fired Fiocchi brass and some Remington, he put me right in the ballpark with a 168grBTSP. We've also loaded some 147 grainers that do pretty well too but don't group as tight in my Ruger American. I'll have to find the load data he wrote down on the boxes but it's simple using common powders. The last lot we shot through the chrony were clocked at 1080-1090 range and opened up just fine in wet phone books and the drop at 200 was about half that of a 220gr bullet .

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I ordered some Seller Belliot (200rds) yesterday with 200grain fmj yesterday for about $0.50 per cartridge. I'll shoot some and then reload some.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I've been in the process of creating 2 subsonic loads for my bolt guns. Leaning on the old man because he just has a knack for working out the math and has home brewed some fantastic loads over the years. I wanted something right at the 1100fps mark with better range and better expansion. Using mostly once fired Fiocchi brass and some Remington, he put me right in the ballpark with a 168grBTSP. We've also loaded some 147 grainers that do pretty well too but don't group as tight in my Ruger American. I'll have to find the load data he wrote down on the boxes but it's simple using common powders. The last lot we shot through the chrony were clocked at 1080-1090 range and opened up just fine in wet phone books and the drop at 200 was about half that of a 220gr bullet .

AR compatible? Or COAL to long? I'm definitely interested. I'm shooting an 8.5 inch AR pistol and if I could reduce muzzle rise with a lighter sub that expands well it seems like that would be a winner to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom