Any 4 wheeler gurus?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My 4 wheeler (Yamaha grizzly 2010 450. 4 wheel drive)has a clicking sound near this junction/relay what ya ma call it near the rear of the bike (see pics). I took all of the wires off and cleaned them and put them back on but it still won't start. I can use the pull rope to start the bike and it runs awesome. I changed the battery last year so I don't think it's a battery problem. This junction/ relay box looks easy to change but just want to check here to see if any of you have had this problem.
    ef7b5433e2216145e1246d2ca62d2a6e.jpg
    5cdd319ab7dd542b990be59abba16e30.jpg

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    The same thing happened to me, same bike. Your starter solenoid (the piece you have pictured) is an easy fix. You can diagnose by jumping the positive post and the post that goes to your starter. If you jump those two and it cranks it's the solenoid if not it could be the starter itself. Here's a good link on the troubleshooting (even though it's a Honda forum) http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...oise-read.html#/topics/15756?page=1&_k=ml40f2 Also my advice if it is the solenoid the dealership wants about $70 for one but they have Chinese made on EBay all day for $10-$15 and they don't seem to be much less quality then the dealerships. :draw:

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I'd try jumping it first to rule out the battery. When those relays have gone out on me in the past they don't click anymore. Had the issue on an 04 Grizzly and an 04 Kodiak.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    10-4. I'll touch the wires to see if it starts and if it does I'll change it. When I hook those two wires together will it start without pressing the start button or do I connect them an then press the start button. If it doesn't I'll ....... someone fill in the blank.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    That doesnt look like the ignition relay, that looks like a winch relay. Both Yamaha''s I've worked on had it under the seat.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Should look something like this, one plug and two screw/bolt terminals. If you jump those it should turn over but if you hear it clicking pressing the start button that means it's working so you've most likely got a voltage problem or a starter problem but those starters usually last a long time.
    s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I answered too quickly without looking at the pics closely. The starter relay looks like the pic above and was located under the seat of the 4 wheeler. But normally if you hear a clicking, in my experience, it will be the relay or the starter. Especially if you've been turning it over a lot trying to get it started.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The noise does seem to be coming from under the seat area. I haven't been turning it over because it won't do anything. It will only click once and that's it then its dead. Just wanted to mention that the dash will light up when I turn the key on but once I hit the starter. It Tom it will go out.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    That sounds like a dead battery or you need to check the battery terminals
    Wingate

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    What you pictured is the winch "contactor", or relay.
    As mentioned you probably need a starter or the starter relay like pictured above. Also, depending on the brand and upkeep of you "new" battery it may also be in poor health.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The relay pictured in post #7 is the starter relay. I have had to change mine twice on my Yamaha. On my bike when it went bad it would click and not start even with a good battery. This is a common problem with Yamaha bikes.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    As noted if the relay is clicking its working. These bikes do have relay issues however as danny stated it sounds like a low battery or loose wire. Check the wires at the rekay and batter to make sure they are tight. Wouldnt hurt to remove one at a time clean and reinstall. If it still doesnt start try jump starting it or if you have a multi meter test see what the voltage is and then hit start and see what the voltage does. I wouldnt start with jumping the solenoid. They can over heat fairly quick and burn them up. You can get cheap replacements but they are hit and miss and tend not to last long.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom