Best all-around pistol caliber and pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I have put alot of thought in to this and I know it is a matter of preference for most.

I think for personal protection, hunting, and in general a "if I could only have one gun what would it's caliber be" thing I would choose the 44 Magnum.
    You can shoot low recoil 44's in it all the way up to Buffalo Bore heavy 44 mag. +P's. You can shoot shot shells in it that are as potent as a .410 shotgun.

There are alot of factors involved in a decision like this but at the top end you would want something that will stop a 2 or 4 legged beast with one shot and also hunt small game on up to the largest.

I think it's a good choice.

And I would want a Ruger SA to go with the round, for durabuility and longevity.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    This is a loaded question. For an OC or belt gun while hunting, this is a perfect gun to have. It's what I carry when I go hog hunting.

Unfortunately a .44MAG doesn't fit very well into the CCW category of firearms, therefore it can't be the best "all-around" caliber.

The Best all-around pistol caliber and pistol for CERTAIN SITUATIONS is a .44MAG. For everything else, a 9mm or .38/.357 usually fills in the voids.

DAVE

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    As much as I love .45, I would have to go with 9mm because of the capacity you have in a mid size pistol.

My vote goes to smith's m&p pro in 9mm. 17 rd magazines. Ill take 17 rds of 9mm over 6 rds of .44 magnum any day.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    2007.08.17icbm.JPG

This should end all discussion. Top it. I dare you.

Maybe I got to it fast enough!

Thread-Crap-Die.jpg

Bladebu1

1 more old SeaBee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Diamondhead Ms
    EVERYONE HAS THERE FAV
    that is why they make so many differnt guns
    so mine would be XDm 9mm 19 in the mag one in the pipe small enought you can still carry it but if you are hunting hogs it may take all 19 but for the combo of target and home defence & carry mix

if it was home defence and hunting 40sw- 10mm (and I am not a glock fan but ) 10mm is a good round too considering the 44 was aready noted as a fav

target and carry I would say .357/ 38 wheel gun a compact killer

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Only one handgun for all situations..... It would be a .357 Mag or .44 Mag wheel gun with a 4 inch barrel. Big/hot enough for hunting, great SD weapons, reliable, ammo variety, common calibers.....

It would NOT be a Glock 19. 9mm is good on people or smaller, but that's about it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well, MY best all around pistol is my Glock 22. I have the .40 cal factory barrel, plus a Lone Wolf .357 Sig AND a L.W. 9mm x 19 barrel for it- three guns in one.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    If you do not hunt, nor ever expect to have a need for a handgun to utilize in a survival situation, and only have one as a personal protection gun, the the 9mm's, 380's, 40's, 32's, that would be your choice. But for an all-around, pretty-much-handle-it-all gun, you would need to go to a revolver in a big-enough caliber to be a "do-it-all" gun. That's what I'm sayin'. semi-automatics are horribly limited on the type and availability of ammo they can use. A wheel-gun, if you handload, can shoot beans, rocks, tacks, bullets, pellets, snake oil, etc.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If you do not hunt, nor ever expect to have a need for a handgun to utilize in a survival situation, and only have one as a personal protection gun, the the 9mm's, 380's, 40's, 32's, that would be your choice. But for an all-around, pretty-much-handle-it-all gun, you would need to go to a revolver in a big-enough caliber to be a "do-it-all" gun. That's what I'm sayin'. semi-automatics are horribly limited on the type and availability of ammo they can use. A wheel-gun, if you handload, can shoot beans, rocks, tacks, bullets, pellets, snake oil, etc.

I can understand that. Damn- I'd really hate to have to pick just one! All the more reason to fight those anti-gun pansies!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom