Remington 870 Express Tactical 7 shot vs. Mossberg 590A1 SPX 9 shot?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which is the better HD/SHTF Shotgun?

• Total voters

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I'm about to purchase a Shotgun for Home Defense and SHTF (if ever necessay).

I've narrowed it down to the Remington 870 Express Tactical 7 shot (6+1)

picture-11.jpg

OR

the Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose 9 shot.

51663.jpg

Both seem like excellent choices for HD or SHTF.

The factual differences between the 2 are cost (the Mossberg is between $60 - $80 more expensive), the capacity (Mossberg carries 2 more 2 3/4" loads) and length (the Mossberg is a 20" barrel and is 2 1/2" longer in OAL).

I've heard that the Remingtons are more reliable and it seems like the shorter length of the 870 tac would be better in the house. The "tacticool" side of me likes the 2 extra shells the Mossberg would be able to carry.

Just wondering if any of you all have personnal experience between the two.

Thanks.

onlyjourneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    I recently obtained an 870--wilson combat version --- after a dog alert one night and I realized that my handgun and a flashlight wouldn't cut it.
    I've owned a couple of 870's and also a couple of mossbergs.They both fired every time I pulled the trigger. They were typical, off the shelf hunting guns.
    If push comes to shove--I think my 870 can get me out of a bind with 7 rounds. JMO !!

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    I own the tactical 870 and would not trade it for the world. Ghost ring sights , 18.5" barrel, and the Remington reliability. Put a side saddle and u have 6 xtra rounds handy

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Down to personal preference IMO. Go handle and shot both to see what you like.

Oh yea, Mossberg 590A1 for me. :D

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Don't let capacity be a deal-breaker...a Choate Rem magazine extension will fix you right up at about the cost difference between the two. I have a extension on mine that holds 8 total in the magazine tube. That length of extension is even with a 22 in. barrel.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It would be hard to go wrong with either.

The only thing you might consider is the safety placement. The safety on the Mossy is on top, which is nice with a traditional stock, but if you ever go pistol grip, the Remy has one next to the trigger guard.

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been eyeballing the 870 express for a couple of weeks now. Good to hear they're gtg. I think budsgunshop had them for 345. Is that a competitive price?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    ^^^^Sounds like a good price to me. I have a 590 and a Benelli Nova Tactical w/ a tube extension. I have not had any problems with either. I would maybe go 870 because various barrels are a little easier to come by. But either guns would be GTG. And as bayouslide said you can get a mag extension if you truly want more capacity. But if you cant get the job done with 7 rounds then you are in it real deep.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    It would be hard to go wrong with either.

The only thing you might consider is the safety placement. The safety on the Mossy is on top, which is nice with a traditional stock, but if you ever go pistol grip, the Remy has one next to the trigger guard.

Yep. Good advice. Alot of people don't realize this til they've already put the PG on their mossberg.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My vote goes for the 590.

And it may just be my opinion, but I don't care for pistol grips on shotguns...I find them entirely too jarring on the wrist, especially if you shoot it a lot. It also puts your arm in an awkward position if you want to use the butt as a weapon.

Bladebu1

1 more old SeaBee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Diamondhead Ms
    I am not sure if you have seen this yet http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_887/model_887.asp in the salt filled air we live in you may think of this
    IMHO I do not think you need 9 rounds I say this I have a shotgun that hold 9 and I have a regular 870 without a exstended mag and I would reach for the 870
    my 9 shot is a stoeger 2000 and the longer mag to me throws the waight off
    now if I need to clear the whole street yeah 9 is good but 7 and a side saddle would work too
    I would also say try them both
    but the best thing you can do is too practice reloads and make sure it is broke in and practice because muscel memery is what will matter when it counts
    but thats just me

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

And it may just be my opinion, but I don't care for pistol grips on shotguns...I find them entirely too jarring on the wrist, especially if you shoot it a lot. It also puts your arm in an awkward position if you want to use the butt as a weapon.

What is it about the 590 you like better?

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna

Try a Knoxx Spec-Ops stock. Both the pistol grip and the buttstock itself are shock absorbing. I've run hot 3" magnum slugs through my 870 and they feel like 20ga birdshot. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom