CCW renewals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My ccw is up for renewal in November this year. Anybody else coming up? I thought it might be more interesting to take the renewal class as a group this summer...

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    Mine is due next march. Am I able to use my DD 214 again as training. I used it to get my initial permit or do I have to take a class.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Ugh....they just sent my packet back. I forgot to put a copy of my license :mad:

Start the counter over I guess. :rofl:
    That's why I hand delivered both my initial application and my renewal. While not foolproof, I asked them to please look over the application and see if there is anything that I have missed. The person on the other side of the counter has always been very courteous and done so for me. Yes, it is my responsibility to do it and do it right, but it's nice to have that extra set of eyes that sees the packets daily to glance through it one last time ;)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I thought they wanted it mailed? That way if you lied on the app they can tack on mail fraud...

Last time I renewed I went to Nick's...

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    That's why I hand delivered both my initial application and my renewal. While not foolproof, I asked them to please look over the application and see if there is anything that I have missed. The person on the other side of the counter has always been very courteous and done so for me. Yes, it is my responsibility to do it and do it right, but it's nice to have that extra set of eyes that sees the packets daily to glance through it one last time ;)

Yep, I should've done that

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Mine is due next march. Am I able to use my DD 214 again as training. I used it to get my initial permit or do I have to take a class.

When I first got mine I was able to use my DD 214 and since then I've had to take two refresher courses.
    After this Christmas I'll have to take another. :rolleyes:

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I want to get my CCW soon as well. I have read that Reillysmom wants to get hers too. Keep me posted if some of you are going to be getting your renewals in the next few months. My XD9 Sub-compact will be in this week and hopefully I'll get some practice with it so I can do well on the shooting portion of the test.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I thought they wanted it mailed? That way if you lied on the app they can tack on mail fraud...
    don't know anything about that, I've brought it in twice though for my original and renewal. The people in the CCW unit are very courteous... I should have taken the lady's name and wrote a letter complementing the service level but I didn't think about it at the time.
    My XD9 Sub-compact will be in this week and hopefully I'll get some practice with it so I can do well on the shooting portion of the test.
    the shooting portion is a joke, I shot it my first time with a full sized S&W 9mm, on renewal I shot my G26 with no problems and I was actually out of practice for a bit (it had been several months). The only people that had any issues were those that looked like they had never fired a gun before in their life and were using the CCW course as a firearms instruction course... some of those people having a gun actually scares me.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    the shooting portion is a joke, I shot it my first time with a full sized S&W 9mm, on renewal I shot my G26 with no problems and I was actually out of practice for a bit (it had been several months). The only people that had any issues were those that looked like they had never fired a gun before in their life and were using the CCW course as a firearms instruction course... some of those people having a gun actually scares me.

+1 We shot full sized silhouette targets at about 6'... I could have thrown darts and passed the course...

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville

I made up a printable checklist for folks:

http://louisianacarry.org/permits/checklist.htm

Top Bottom