Taurus PT 101 Any Good?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    I've heard three different takes on Taurus from separate individuals at the same gun shop.

1. Their autos are OK, but you got to watch their revolvers.

2. Their revolvers are OK, but you got to watch their autos.

3.Taurus has been known to use some cheap materials in their guns. .

The last line convinced me. I think things have improved since then at Taurus. The company certainly has hit a home run with it's latest Model 1911.

onelochevy

XD 45
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Slidell
    My wife has PT140 and we both really like it. Im actually planning on getting her a G26 since the .40 has a little too much recoil for her liking, and I'm going to take the Taurus as my CC weapon.

reelkaos

Rookie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Springfield
    I have had one for about 15 years. It shoots straight and is reliable. The factory mags had a problem with the bolt hold open. I bought some Meggars that work fine and hold an extra round.

If you have $300, I don't think you are wasting money.

Kajanone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    I bought one of the $299 PT101s at Academy on the weekend after Black Friday (they were back on sale). My son and I shot it this afternoon at Barney's in Lafayette, along with 2 other brand new pistols. The other pistols were a Springfield Armory XD-M in 40 S&W and a Glock 20 with Nite Sites. I bought an aftermarket barrel (Lone Wolf) in 40 S&W for the 10mm Glock, so that is what we started shooting. My observations: If I could have only one of the three it would be the XD-M. It fits the hand better, groups very well, better trigger and asthetics. The Glock stovepiped on the second shot, but not again after that. We both had trouble getting the Glock to group tightly. Then there is the issue of a cartridge case not fully supported in a chamber. I ran about 25 rounds of handloaded 10mm through the Glock after I switched barrels...you should see the "pregnant bulge" in the case just in front of the head. Those cases definitely aren't safe to reload IMHO. The PT101 shot fine, not a jam one. It grouped as well as the XD-M, but the trigger didn't feel as smooth as the XD-M. The XD-M came with a way-cool pistol pack of accessories, the PT101 came in a cardboard box. But...the XD-M set me back about $600 versus $320 for the PT101. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the Taurus, but if you are shopping for a .40 you need to try the XD-M.

Top Bottom