BayouShooter Ad Available
Joebob Outfitters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Stainless Revolvers

Refinishing Stainless Revolvers

Has anyone had any previous experience in refinishing a stainless steel revolver?
    I am looking for ideas on a project im considering for an older SS Redhawk that has minimal light dings and light scratches on the frame. Id like to make it look new again, and possibly give the overall finish a more buff (less shiny) appearance.

I think most of the scratches are light enough to be handled by elbow grease and steel wool, but I want it to come out with a nice consistant refinish.

Media Blasting might work also, and should end up giving it a nice uniform overall finish. This was one idea I was considering.

Does anyone have any experience with refinishing Stainless Steel?
    Any ideas are welcome..

Thanks
    Buck8Point

Bead blasting, or aluminum oxide will give you a non reflective matte finish.

Thats exactly the finish that I'm looking for.
    Are there any particular do's and don'ts I should know about in getting it done?
    Ive done sand blasting, but have never tried any other media beyond sand.

Buck8Point

Media Blasting

As far as Blast Cabinets go, Tractor Supply sells 2 fairly inexpensive models, if anyone is interested.

Has anyone tried this on a Stainless gun that I could see what the results would look like?

Buck8Point

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. And yes, I've seen it on many stainless guns. It gives a satin, non-glossy surface... which is what you said you were looking for.

Yea I appreciate the reply, I was just hoping that someone might also have some pics of what it will look like after media blasting. Just wanted to see what the end result would look like before I commit to doing it. I thought someone might have some example pictures handy that they could share.

Buck8Point

To answer your question, I don't know but would like to hear what you find out. do you have a blast cabinet? Harbor Freight has some cheap sometime. there a lot of different blast media out there and I want to blast an old S&W K22 I have (blued).
    Educate your neighbors, as they are the first ones that you can easily make contact with. Make nice with as many that you can and try to make sure if
    they have a problem you will be there and not just think of you as the gun nut next door.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebob View Post
    To answer your question, I don't know but would like to hear what you find out. do you have a blast cabinet? Harbor Freight has some cheap sometime. there a lot of different blast media out there and I want to blast an old S&W K22 I have (blued).
    No I dont have a blast cabinet yet, but I have been looking at the ones at Tractor Supply.
    I know I could use it for a lot of small / light applications, I just dont have the room for it and a compressor in my very small shop yet. Im planning on building a new much larger metal building, but that will be sometime next year.
    The refinishing project is not a necessity, just something id like to get done.
    It would be fun to experiment anyways, it might be fun to do.

Buck8Point

If you don't like it then you sand and polish it, it is just that simple, stainless is great that way. Blast away. You will have a lot of nooks and crannies to get the glass beads out of though.
    The difficult i can do right away, the impossible may take a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by smith625 View Post
    If you don't like it then you sand and polish it, it is just that simple, stainless is great that way. Blast away. You will have a lot of nooks and crannies to get the glass beads out of though.
    Now see, there is something I didnt think of.. Having to dig out the beads.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will give it a shot here in the future.
    Buck8Point

Stupid is 'posed to hurt scooterj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck8Point View Post
    Now see, there is something I didnt think of.. Having to dig out the beads.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will give it a shot here in the future.
    Buck8Point
    Practice on a scrap piece of metal. It's not to easy to get the finish to come out even. Gotta work it kinda like a paint gun, smooth.
    USPSA: TY-28619
    ICORE: LA1484
    Team Freedom GunWorks
    www.freedomgunworks.com
    You can't fix stupid and you can't teach common sense!

Quote Originally Posted by scooterj View Post
    Practice on a scrap piece of metal. It's not to easy to get the finish to come out even. Gotta work it kinda like a paint gun, smooth.
    Roger That...

Buck8Point

Marksman
    You will want to use the very finest glass beads available, it feels like baby powder, not sand; coarse media or dirty media will darken the color a bunch. I think there are a couple of pistols at La gun & reloading with s glass beaded finish.

I will also recommend crocus cloth for the flats. Gives a nice slight brushed look without too much effort.
    It's not how you shoot, it's how you look!!!
    www.plate-tacular.com

Member of Team Freedom Gunworks
    www.freedomgunworks.com

Stupid is 'posed to hurt scooterj's Avatar
    Sodium bicarbonate is very abrasive and a rough grind will cut too deep.

BTW, dmh has some experience with gun refinishing. www.plate-tacular.com
    USPSA: TY-28619
    ICORE: LA1484
    Team Freedom GunWorks
    www.freedomgunworks.com
    You can't fix stupid and you can't teach common sense!

Clandestine Sciuridae

Gold Member
    I have a big Snap-On cabinet with glass bead media in it if someone wants to try it.
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Quote Originally Posted by Ritten View Post
    Buy them all!! If you don't like it, sell it. They ain't shoes you know...

Can you provide something for me to practice on as well.

Dave
    "All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others."
    Paraphrase from George Orwell Animal Farm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    Douglas Adams

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    Ash (Bruce Campbell) Army Of Darkness 1992

The Hitler of fun.

Clandestine Sciuridae

Gold Member
    I'm sure we can come up with something but it will NOT be a SS revo of mine.

You gonna try to purty up your S&W 64?
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Quote Originally Posted by Ritten View Post
    Buy them all!! If you don't like it, sell it. They ain't shoes you know...

Marksman
    I have a stainless barrel to practice on. It wouldn't hurt it to be blasted.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf225 View Post
    I have a stainless barrel to practice on. It wouldn't hurt it to be blasted.
    Id be VERY Interested in seeing what the results look like.
    I appreciate all the good input guys..

Buck8Point