Refinishing Stainless Revolvers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    Has anyone had any previous experience in refinishing a stainless steel revolver?
    I am looking for ideas on a project im considering for an older SS Redhawk that has minimal light dings and light scratches on the frame. Id like to make it look new again, and possibly give the overall finish a more buff (less shiny) appearance.

I think most of the scratches are light enough to be handled by elbow grease and steel wool, but I want it to come out with a nice consistant refinish.

Media Blasting might work also, and should end up giving it a nice uniform overall finish. This was one idea I was considering.

Does anyone have any experience with refinishing Stainless Steel?
    Any ideas are welcome..

Thanks
    Buck8Point

Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    Thats exactly the finish that I'm looking for.
    Are there any particular do's and don'ts I should know about in getting it done?
    Ive done sand blasting, but have never tried any other media beyond sand.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    Media Blasting

As far as Blast Cabinets go, Tractor Supply sells 2 fairly inexpensive models, if anyone is interested.

Has anyone tried this on a Stainless gun that I could see what the results would look like?

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. And yes, I've seen it on many stainless guns. It gives a satin, non-glossy surface... which is what you said you were looking for.

Yea I appreciate the reply, I was just hoping that someone might also have some pics of what it will look like after media blasting. Just wanted to see what the end result would look like before I commit to doing it. I thought someone might have some example pictures handy that they could share.

Buck8Point

littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    To answer your question, I don't know but would like to hear what you find out. do you have a blast cabinet? Harbor Freight has some cheap sometime. there a lot of different blast media out there and I want to blast an old S&W K22 I have (blued).

Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    To answer your question, I don't know but would like to hear what you find out. do you have a blast cabinet? Harbor Freight has some cheap sometime. there a lot of different blast media out there and I want to blast an old S&W K22 I have (blued).

No I dont have a blast cabinet yet, but I have been looking at the ones at Tractor Supply.
    I know I could use it for a lot of small / light applications, I just dont have the room for it and a compressor in my very small shop yet. Im planning on building a new much larger metal building, but that will be sometime next year.
    The refinishing project is not a necessity, just something id like to get done.
    It would be fun to experiment anyways, it might be fun to do.

Buck8Point

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    If you don't like it then you sand and polish it, it is just that simple, stainless is great that way. Blast away. You will have a lot of nooks and crannies to get the glass beads out of though.

Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    If you don't like it then you sand and polish it, it is just that simple, stainless is great that way. Blast away. You will have a lot of nooks and crannies to get the glass beads out of though.

Now see, there is something I didnt think of.. Having to dig out the beads.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will give it a shot here in the future.
    Buck8Point

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Now see, there is something I didnt think of.. Having to dig out the beads.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will give it a shot here in the future.
    Buck8Point

Practice on a scrap piece of metal. It's not to easy to get the finish to come out even. Gotta work it kinda like a paint gun, smooth.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    You will want to use the very finest glass beads available, it feels like baby powder, not sand; coarse media or dirty media will darken the color a bunch. I think there are a couple of pistols at La gun & reloading with s glass beaded finish.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    I will also recommend crocus cloth for the flats. Gives a nice slight brushed look without too much effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom