Some Thoughts on IWB Holsters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    This is something that I wrote up a number of years ago as sort of a historical overview of a classic Inside the Waistband holster design.

Many forum members utilize the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster for concealed carry. As has been discussed previously, this holster is a refinement of the original Summer Special holster designed and first offered by Bruce Nelson.

Nelson was an undercover narcotics officer and one of the original instructor's at API/Gunsite [in fact, he was one of the instructors in the first pistol class ever taught at Gunsite].

Nelson, and most of the narcs that he built Summer Specials for, carried straight drop holsters in the appendix position.

Shortly after Milt Sparks began producing the Summer Special, he began some slight improvements to the original design. These included the addition of a second belt loop [Nelson's original used a single loop with a one-way snap] and stiching in two strips of leather into the sight channel to serve as 'sight rails' to prevent the front sight from dragging &/or digging a trough in the leading edge of the holster. Sparks also began offering the design with a muzzle rearward/FBI rake as well as the original straight drop.

In 1992, Milt Sparks began offering the Summer Special 2 which incorporated interchangeable belt loops & a sweat shield. Additionally, if you ordered it with a muzzle rearward rake, it was increased from the FBI standard 15-degrees to a 20-degree angle. The early SS-2s were also offered in a straight drop config. My first Summer Special 2 was a straight drop for a 5-inch M1911 purchased in September, 1992 as I recall.

The original Summer Special did not feature a lot of detailed molding, or boning, of the holster body. The holster body was a fairly generic 'gun' shape. This was done to maximize the contact between the rough side out leather and the trouser material to, theoretically, offer as much stabilization of the gun & holster as possible. This practice was continued into the early 90s.

In 1995, the custom holster business was dealt a one-two punch with the deaths of both Bruce Nelson [at age 47] and Milt Sparks [at age 78]. In the case of Nelson, their was no protege to take over and Nelson Combat Leather ceased to exist. Sparks had turned over the day-to-day operation of his shop to Tony Kanaley back in the late 80s, so Sparks gear continued, and continues to be available.

In late 1996, I switched from carrying a 5-inch M1911 to carrying a mid-frame Glock. At the same time, I switched from a Summer Special IWB to beltmounted kydex.

Following some events with my local training group relating to kydex hoslters and a visit in May of 2004 to John Benner's school, TDI, for the second offering of their ECQ course and the inaugral offering of SouthNarc's ECQC-1 class in July of 2004, I became absolutely convinced of the superiority of the leather inside the waistband holster for dealing with worst case, in-your-face, kissing distance problems.

Given SouthNarc's endorsement of the SS-2 and my prior experience with that hoslter, I immediately picked up one of the current production Summer Special 2 holsters for a Glock 17.

Here is a picture of that holster. The detailed molding of the current production hoslter is still evident. This is an outstanding holster and is available very reasonably through Brownell's [MSRP is $75...Dealer Price through Brownell's is around $60].

2845934987_fdcda0d8c4.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Never being content to go the easy route, shortly after acquiring my Sparks SS-2, I found a scribbled note that appeared to be my handwriting from some years ago.

The note, at least what I could decipher, made mention of a company called 'The Leather Arsenal' and of some dude named Elmer.

'The Leather Arsenal ' is the business name of custom holster maker Elmer McEvoy. Many moons ago, McEvoy worked for Milt Sparks. About 20 years ago, he started his own company and has been troddling along, in relative obscurity. His shop is located in Middleton, ID and his main offerings are a couple of variations on the Summer Special IWB design.

An interesting aside, if you happen to watch Kelly McCann's original 4-tape Defensive Shooting series, the leather gear that McCann sports throughout, commonly thought to be Sparks, is, in actuality Elmer McEvoy's stuff.

For years, McEvoy offered his 'Surprise Special' and his 'Deep Concealment Special' IWB designs. Originally, the 'Surprise Special' was McEvoy's 'Summer Special'. Over time, interchangeable belt loops and the stabilizing tab at the muzzle end were added. The DCS was the same basic design with the addition of the sweat shield.

The most recent refinement to McEvoy's design is the Double Deep Concealment Special or DDCS. This holster features two steel reinforcing bands [one above the other] under the leather reinforcing band at the mouth of the hoslter. This allows the gun to ride slightly deeper inside the waist than otherwise.

When I contacted McEvoy, I was pleasantly surprised to find that he was still in business and a very personable old coot, to boot.

His prices were reasonable. The wait was short. And the quality was excellant.

His three main holsters designs are the 'Surprise Special' [interchangeable belt loops, muzzle tab, single height reinforcing band no sweat guard] for $65, the DCS [SS plus sweat guard] for $72 and the DDCS for $80.

2845934783_e06afaf626.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Careful observers will note that the McEvoy holster does not have the detailed molding shown on the Sparks holster. This is a trivial detail that does not effect function, but I, personally, prefer the lack of detailed molding on the holster body.

It's strictly a matter of ascetics, but much like my preference for fat pistol grips on AKs, I like a simple roughout IWB holster.

This picture is of my one-off McEvoy hoslter. It features the top-end of a DDCS [sweat shield, double deep reinforcing band, interchangeable belt loops] and it lacks the stabilization tab at the muzzle end [the tab didn't do anything for me...neither pro or con].

2845934625_040ce1e090.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    A few random comments...

Just got a batch of holsters in from McEvoy including some modified DDCS rigs for the S&W M&P, the M&P Compact, the M1911 & the Walther PPS.

I also picked up a second hand DCS for a Glock 19.

Kelly McCann has a plug and link on his new site for Elmer's stuff. www.KellyMcCannCombatives.com under Products.

Several years ago I came into possession of a number of Surprise Specials for Beretta 92Fs and Sig P228s at a killer price. Turns out Elmer made 300 pieces for some units out of Bragg for M9s & M11s years back and these were from that batch [the seller had gotten them from the DRMO].

In a case of 'small world syndrome', when I was down in Florida at the Glock Summit [in 06], I had the chance to look over a sizable collection of carry gear that John Peterson had laid out as part of his presentation on concealed carry. John is a former SF guy who has been involved in private & public sector training for awhile. One of the pieces that he had laid out was a very worn Surprise Special for a Sig 228 that had been issued to him while at Bragg years before.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    I have a leather arsenal SS2 knock off - well made, but a knock off nonetheless - for 1911s. I prefer the VM2 and CTAC for IWB, personally, but i know many people who love the SS2 as well.

Actually, the SS2 came several years after McEvoy started his DCS. McEvoy stitched holsters for Milt Sparks back in the early 80s and started his own company circa 1984. Elmer went to interchangeable belt loops on all of his IWB designs around 1988 and added the stabilizing tab and sweatguard shortly thereafter.

The SS-2 premiered in 1992. I bought my first copy that September because Sparks had an SS-2 in stock and I'da had to wait three weeks to get a Summer Special.:rofl:

To the best of my knowledge, the first of the old skool holster guys to add a sweat guard to the basic Nelson Summer Special design was Gordon Davis with his Liberty IWB. The Liberty had two pivoting belt loops and the sweat guard as far back as 1977

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Paul,

I have a G19 and I am looking to get a G27. I am new to CC and just going to my class next weekend. Do you have a descent holster that you can recommend for a new guy?

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Before you spend a lot of money on a holster figuring out what works for you, you ought to see if you can get hands on with an assortment of holsters to help you make an informed decision.

There are a number of guys on the board who have all sort of gear. See if you can't get someone to meet and try some out.

You won't need a holster for the class, per se.

I'd be more than happy to link up with a crate of holsters for you to go through and see what makes sense for you. I won't be back in the area until the second weekend in December, though.

For me, leather inside the waistband is the way to go.

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    im very intrested in the leather arsenal brand now. i need a iwb holster for my G27. Im currently considering buying one after the 1st of the year. Thinking of a holster that goes on my back or kidney area. not sure what thats called.

thanks for the info..

senseibuddy

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Paul,

I have a G19 and I am looking to get a G27. I am new to CC and just going to my class next weekend. Do you have a descent holster that you can recommend for a new guy?

I agree with the other members:

1. You surely won't need it for a CCW class.

2. There are many reasons to try out some different styles and different makes of holsters. I have a holster box that serves as testament to this concept.

3. The only significant issue I have seen with IWB holsters is that most people have to buy their slacks/Levis/pants a couple of sizes larger in the waist to accommodate the weapon (depending on the make of weapon and make of holster).

However, most people are not willing to replace their entire wardrobe .......... which leads them to owning one or two pairs of "carry pants."

The problem ? .......... if they aren't wearing their "carry pants" (because they are dirty, or wrong for the occasion), they end up not carrying. This is not the goal.

Pick a holster style that works with your lifestyle (and your body style), and covers the trigger, and is sturdy, and retains your weapon, and conceals it well (this usually means keeping the pistol snug against your body). Of equal importance is a good gun-belt and a shirt that is loose enough (preferably having a pattern or dark color) to minimize possible printing.

Ya gots to dress around the gun.

Don't write off the OWB holsters too quickly.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I have an ultra-cheap generic IWB for my G26 I've used for 3 years every day, I demo'd an Mtac from another member and it was nice. I like my IWB's to be easy on and off, but secure, with a slight cant. I wouldnt mind trying a more "quality" holster but I dont wanna throw out crazy dollars and I also am too impatient to wait a couple months for it.

I do need something for my J frame, same requirements as above but I want it to ride low to maximize the small frames concealment potential

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    PM me a phone number; I have several G19 holsters laying idle that you're welcome to try out (and take to your class).

There's a lot to discuss on this topic.

The one that LSP loaned me to break in for him works really well with my G19. Very comfortable and hard to detect.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The wife ordered me a Leather Arsenal DoubleDeep for christmas. :cool:

I think I might pick up one of those TT ones LSP keeps raving about too. :rofl:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    LSP,

What is the difference between the TT and the Sparks of the same design? Is there any advantage to either?

When to get together?

Dan

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Anyone else use the M-Tac from Comp-Tac?

I have been carrying my XD40 around in one and it is fantastic. Possibly the most comfortable IWB holster I have found. (Have tried quite a few including the summer special/summer comfort designs)

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone else use the M-Tac from Comp-Tac?

I have been carrying my XD40 around in one and it is fantastic. Possibly the most comfortable IWB holster I have found. (Have tried quite a few including the summer special/summer comfort designs)

You'll find that it works even better if you carry a Glock 23. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom