BayouShooter Ad Available
Louques Firearms
Meplat Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTS/WTT Marlin 444 lever-action rifle w/ ammo...SOLD!

Plinker

WTS/WTT Marlin 444 lever-action rifle w/ ammo...SOLD!

Marlin model 444SS...Mfg. 1996, 22" barrel, blue w/ walnut stock, Williams "FP" series receiver mounted peep sight.

Rifle appears to be unfired..there are a few light handling marks on the stock but they are minor..Includes (5) boxes Hornady LeverEvolution ammo.....$650

Located in New Iberia...Thanks
    444-2 004.jpg

444-2 005.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by automan71; January 16th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.

is this considered a primitive weapon?

Plinker
    I don't think so...It is a Lever-action rifle. I think the NEF Handi-Rifle (crack barrel, single shot) can be used for primitive weapon hunting...??

Instructor
    Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    definitely not.
    Defensive Firearms Training and CHP Certification
    www.BearcoTraining.com
    Facebook.com/bearco

ohh ok, my bad!

Free bump

Marksman

Premium Member
    Some might think so!
    I'm a pistol packing vegetarian. I believe in keeping my options open.

The 44-40 is the caliber I've seen cosidered primitive weapon caliber not the 444 Marlin
    Last edited by Big D; December 30th, 2009 at 10:17 AM.

Only Single Shot Rifles Guys:The 444 marlin as long as it is in a single shot is approved

L.D.W.F. ISSUES LIST OF APPROVED PRIMITIVE WEAPONS FOR 2008-09 PRIMITIVE HUNTING SEASON
    Release Date: 07/08/2008

In a response to the recent approval of Act 51, which partly consists of changing the language from a muzzleloader season to a primitive firearm season, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) has issued a list of approved primitive firearms for the 2008-09 Primitive Firearm Season.

All of the approved primitive weapons meet the criteria set forth by the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission as authorized primitive firearms. The criteria is a single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifle with metallic cartridges loaded with either black powder or modern smokeless powder, .38 caliber or larger, of a kind or type manufactured prior to 1900 and replicas, and reproductions or reintroductions of that type rifle having an exposed hammer. The pre-1900 distinction applies only to the firearm and not the ammunition. All approved primitive firearms may be fitted with magnified scopes.

Approved single shot breech loading primitive weapons:

· Sharps rifles or replicas
    · Remington Rollingblock rifles or replicas
    · Ballard rifles
    · Maynard rifles or carbines
    · Burnside carbines
    · Frank Wesson rifles
    · Farrow rifles
    · Remington Hepburn rifles
    · M1873-1888 Springfield (Trapdoor) rifles and carbines and replicas
    · Snider (British) rifles and replicas
    · Wesson & Harrington 1871 rifles
    · New England Firearms or Harrington & Richardson Handi rifles in caliber larger than .38
    · Winchester M1885 Hi Wall or Lo Wall rifles or replicas (Also Browning B78 or 1885) .38 or larger
    · Knight KP-1 in caliber .38 or larger
    · CVA Optima Elite in caliber .38 or larger
    · Traditions Pursuit break-open single shot in .38 caliber or larger

Non-approved single shot breech loading rifles:

· Ruger Number 1 and Number 3 (Reason: No exposed hammer)
    · Thompson Center Contender or Encore Carbines (Reason: Designed after 1900)
    · Mossberg SSi Single Shot Rifle (Reason: No exposed hammer and designed after 1900)
    Last edited by JWM0915; December 30th, 2009 at 11:09 AM.

Professional Amateur

Premium Member
    If it's a single shot design mfr'd prior to 1900, and over .38 cal., yes. In other words, don't hit the woods with a Ruger #1 as a primitive weapon, or you might lose it....
    Sam
    Central/Pride, Evil Black Rifle Parish(EBR), LA

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’"
    -Col. Jeff Cooper

The .444 Marlin is a rifle cartridge designed in 1964 by Marlin Firearms and Remington Arms, so if this is correct there wasn't a rifle built for this cartridge until 1964.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Professional Amateur

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    The .444 Marlin is a rifle cartridge designed in 1964 by Marlin Firearms and Remington Arms, so if this is correct there wasn't a rifle built for this cartridge until 1964.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    That's okay, as long as the rifle design is a single-shot designed prior to 1900, or a replica.....Like the Handi-Rifle (which is what I use in .444 Marlin)....
    Sam
    Central/Pride, Evil Black Rifle Parish(EBR), LA

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’"
    -Col. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The pre-1900 distinction applies only to the firearm and not the ammunition.

I understand now, thanks guys.

Plinker
    Now that we've got that straight, someone buy this and use it for non-primitive weapon season..

Bump w/ pics...

www.Gomez-Training.com

Gold Member
    Mack Bolan used one these to whack some mob guys while he was home on leave form 'Nam...
    Whatever weapon & methods a person chooses, demonstrate to yourself proficiency under heavy layers of mental & physical tasking. Be very honest to yourself, because it's your loved ones depending on your honest hard work. -Seth

www.LouisianaSelfDefense.com

Marksman
    I sure wish someone would buy this!! It would just look too cool next to my Marlin 336.

Bump for a nice gun and a good man to deal with.

Plinker
    Thanks Marc!

Happy New Year bump.....

Plinker
    bump..

Plinker
    to the top...

Plinker
    bump..