Best 1911 style pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buck3050

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    LaPlace
    I'm in the market for a 1911 style auto in a 45. What in ya'll minds is the best 1911 out there for the money. Not looking to get into a big debate but want some examples and personal experiences. I open to all 1911's. I'm sorry i should have given more information on what price range and so on. It was 3 in the morning and at work when i thought about it. My price range is 600 to say 1200. I will be shooting the wildbunch for cowboy action shooting and can't have all the bells and whistles that some of the other shooting disiplines have. It will be shot with a light load with a lead bullet. Don't know what grain or load yet. I looked and the Sti and like that. Who sells them around the Laplace area. Can do a little traveling to BR, Slidell, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    There is no " best 1911 " . There will be many opinions though . Besides , what does " best " mean to YOU ?

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Sti Spartan, Dan Wesson, Wilson, Ed Brown, Springfield Armory are all great guns in different price ranges. Kimbers aren't like they used to be, and Taurus is ok. I have Wilson, Dan Wesson, S&W 1911's and love them all. Spartan give you more bang for the buck though, and Dan Wesson is fixing to have a huge price increase.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I have a Para 14-45, its an alloy frame, 14+1 double stack full size 1911. Love it. Check out ParaOrdnance when you do your research.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    When Kimber was making custom guns, they had something. Mass production is what did them in. They spend more on advertising than they do on quality. Once you make a name for yourself, you must live up to it or lose it.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Was just fixin' to mention Kimber, Dave. I'v got 6 full size Kimbers and have had nothing but excellent service from all of them. They are kinda' like Glocks in that there are so many of them out there you will hear of some bad experiences, but overall, feature for feature in the price range, I think you should give them a close look and make up your own mind. JMHO from years of experience with these fine 1911's. That being said, I like my NightHawk GRP a little better - but it costs more. This opinion does not consider 3-4" barrel guns - just full size.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Isnt the STI Spartan an ARMSCOR with US quality standards???????

Not that it makes much diference, but if its a Philipine made frame wouldnt it be like buying a RIA and build up on it?

I dont want to seem like I know what I'm talking about, but when I had looked into the Spartan on most 1911 forums it was what the talk over it was not really a TEXAS made gun, now the Trojan was another story but also a few more Benjamin's.

To each its own, and if your budget allows you to buy a Custom Built gun as a started well more power to you, but there are also lower end 1911's that are solid pieces, for example Rock Island or ARMSCOR, Taurus, Charles Daly, etc and if the fever becomes a passion then upgrade to a $1200 name brand.

Just my .02 its hard to get a 1911 that its a POS overall is a wonderfull platform, and unless you plan on doing some serious business with it a starter can be found for less than a $1000.00 .

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    STI sources the parts and does final assembly on the spartan.

1911s are ALL about final assembly.

I'd rather a 1911 build out of rather pedestrian parts by a master than "the best" parts by a standard production worker at a mainstream facility.

^^^^^^^^^^This!! It's all about the fit.
    Armscor makes the frame, slide, and barrel for the Spartan. All the other parts are STI. The fit on mine is excellent and it shoots better than I do. I don't think there's a better 1911 for the money.
    The finish leaves something to be desired.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Plate-Tacular fixed the finish. :rockon: Now it's called "The Armored Spartan"
    b0sgtjspb9r5nnx14og.jpg

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Buck, Louque's Firearms, a site sponsor, can fix you up. He's in Gramercy so you don't need to travel far.

Top Bottom