Home Defense Foundation of New Orleans
Advanced Weapon Systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prepare raccoon

Banned

How to prepare raccoon

I have been trapping coons for the last 4 years but just decided to try and eat one. Anyone here have any good hints on how to clean and cook them? If I have posted this in the wrong area please move the post mods.

I'm sure Snookie has about 25 recipes to make a Coon takes better than a sirloin steak prepared by a world class chef.

PM Snookie.

I'll cut you, Homes!

I'll cut you, Homes!

Take the down on Plank Rd. and sell them and go buy you a New York strip.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie12 View Post
    Take the down on Plank Rd. and sell them and go buy you a New York strip.
    Blah Ribeye's better

I'll keep my Guns, Money, and Freedom. You can keep the change.

Quote Originally Posted by CZowner07 View Post
    Blah Ribeye's better
    Or go to Tony's and get some seafood.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.

But I would be willing to try coon. I mean how different can it be from squirrel or rabbit?

Instructor
    Site Sponsor
    You would skin and gut it like any other small animal.
    pick up a copy of Chef John's "After the Hunt"
    He has several recipes for coon. If I get a chance later, I will try and look through my copy.
    Defensive Firearms Training and CHP Certification
    www.BearcoTraining.com
    Facebook.com/bearco

I've eaten coon several times. One of those times, It was one of the absolute best game animals I've ever tasted. It was quartered and cooked on the bone as an apetizer. I watched a friend season and brown it, in a lightly oiled iron skillet. He added water to keep it from sticking, and simmered the water out again several times. Amazing stuff.
    USPSA #A66050

1. The gun is always loaded.
    2. Never point the gun at something you are not prepared to destroy.
    3. Always be sure of your target and what is behind it.
    4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

On Target

Premium Member
    Just make sure you remove all the fat (it has a very strong odor and taste) before cooking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlace View Post
    I'm sure Snookie has about 25 recipes to make a Coon takes better than a sirloin steak prepared by a world class chef.

PM Snookie.

Quote Originally Posted by CZowner07 View Post
    But I would be willing to try coon. I mean how different can it be from squirrel or rabbit?
    Quote Originally Posted by BearIT View Post
    You would skin and gut it like any other small animal.
    pick up a copy of Chef John's "After the Hunt"
    He has several recipes for coon. If I get a chance later, I will try and look through my copy.
    Thanks.

Banned
    I reckon the biggest thing is the cleaning of the raccoon. I keep getting the typical make sure the glands are gone but I cannot find the glands they speak of. I am used to deer and that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech1983 View Post
    I reckon the biggest thing is the cleaning of the raccoon. I keep getting the typical make sure the glands are gone but I cannot find the glands they speak of. I am used to deer and that is all.
    There are glands under each "arm pit" that resemble a grayish thick fatty tissue. There are glands inside the hind legs that are similar in appearance and location (the interior portion of the largest leg muscle). Let us know how it works out.
    USPSA #A66050

1. The gun is always loaded.
    2. Never point the gun at something you are not prepared to destroy.
    3. Always be sure of your target and what is behind it.
    4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

yep, glands are under the arm pits. Also, make an insicion behind the rear "knee". There may be some there also. The glands will look like small gray balls.

Coon is good meat. I usually just brown it and smother it with onions and bell peppers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDucRob View Post
    There are glands under each "arm pit" that resemble a grayish thick fatty tissue. There are glands inside the hind legs that are similar in appearance and location (the interior portion of the largest leg muscle). Let us know how it works out.
    Cool was able to find em. gonna give it a go. Cooking a deer tenderloin as a backup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kook View Post
    yep, glands are under the arm pits. Also, make an insicion behind the rear "knee". There may be some there also. The glands will look like small gray balls.

Coon is good meat. I usually just brown it and smother it with onions and bell peppers.
    I actually have oinions and bell peppers at the house. Will try it your way. Thanks for the help everybody. Will report with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech1983 View Post
    I actually have oinions and bell peppers at the house. Will try it your way. Thanks for the help everybody. Will report with the results.
    Yea just like squirrel and rabbit make sure you get the glands out if you don't want a nasty taste!

When I cooked them years ago I would cut them into pieces like chicken, season the pieces then brown them in a skillet. Once browned, I would place the pieces in a backing pan with a couple of cans of yams with the liquid and bake till falling off the bone. Also used the same recipe for rabbits especially those big tough swamp bunnies.

John
    My abilities far outweigh my inclination to use them.

a bonus to coon eatin'... comes with its own toothpick. See Baculum.
    People hardly ever make use of the freedom they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as a compensation. -Kierkegaard

I've eaten it several times with a friend. His trick is to soak it overnight in carb boil then smoke it over peacan wood.

I'll pass on the toothpick.......