How to prepare raccoon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I have been trapping coons for the last 4 years but just decided to try and eat one. Anyone here have any good hints on how to clean and cook them? If I have posted this in the wrong area please move the post mods.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I'm sure Snookie has about 25 recipes to make a Coon takes better than a sirloin steak prepared by a world class chef.:dogkeke:

PM Snookie.

:)

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    You would skin and gut it like any other small animal.
    pick up a copy of Chef John's "After the Hunt"
    He has several recipes for coon. If I get a chance later, I will try and look through my copy.
    folse_hunt_lg.jpg

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I've eaten coon several times. One of those times, It was one of the absolute best game animals I've ever tasted. It was quartered and cooked on the bone as an apetizer. I watched a friend season and brown it, in a lightly oiled iron skillet. He added water to keep it from sticking, and simmered the water out again several times. Amazing stuff.

mitter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Just make sure you remove all the fat (it has a very strong odor and taste) before cooking.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I'm sure Snookie has about 25 recipes to make a Coon takes better than a sirloin steak prepared by a world class chef.:dogkeke:

PM Snookie.

:)

But I would be willing to try coon. I mean how different can it be from squirrel or rabbit?

You would skin and gut it like any other small animal.
    pick up a copy of Chef John's "After the Hunt"
    He has several recipes for coon. If I get a chance later, I will try and look through my copy.
    folse_hunt_lg.jpg

Thanks.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I reckon the biggest thing is the cleaning of the raccoon. I keep getting the typical make sure the glands are gone but I cannot find the glands they speak of. I am used to deer and that is all.

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I reckon the biggest thing is the cleaning of the raccoon. I keep getting the typical make sure the glands are gone but I cannot find the glands they speak of. I am used to deer and that is all.

There are glands under each "arm pit" that resemble a grayish thick fatty tissue. There are glands inside the hind legs that are similar in appearance and location (the interior portion of the largest leg muscle). Let us know how it works out.

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    yep, glands are under the arm pits. Also, make an insicion behind the rear "knee". There may be some there also. The glands will look like small gray balls.

Coon is good meat. I usually just brown it and smother it with onions and bell peppers.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    There are glands under each "arm pit" that resemble a grayish thick fatty tissue. There are glands inside the hind legs that are similar in appearance and location (the interior portion of the largest leg muscle). Let us know how it works out.

Cool was able to find em. gonna give it a go. Cooking a deer tenderloin as a backup.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    yep, glands are under the arm pits. Also, make an insicion behind the rear "knee". There may be some there also. The glands will look like small gray balls.

Coon is good meat. I usually just brown it and smother it with onions and bell peppers.

I actually have oinions and bell peppers at the house. Will try it your way. Thanks for the help everybody. Will report with the results.

johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    When I cooked them years ago I would cut them into pieces like chicken, season the pieces then brown them in a skillet. Once browned, I would place the pieces in a backing pan with a couple of cans of yams with the liquid and bake till falling off the bone. Also used the same recipe for rabbits especially those big tough swamp bunnies.

John

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    I've eaten it several times with a friend. His trick is to soak it overnight in carb boil then smoke it over peacan wood.

I'll pass on the toothpick.......

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom